Sign in to follow this  
villa89

Pre-match thread

Keeping continuity and slowly introducing and easing new players in (rather than throwing a load of new faces together). No, I wouldnt have picked it but fair play, still confident that our style amd energy is going to surprise them today.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tyklip said:

One consideration: putting a likely loss on older players protects the younger fullbacks' confidence. I think it's a weak rationale, but not crazy. 

Maybe his focus was to work on the Engles \ Mings partnership - Mings knows those two full backs - and will be guiding Engles through the game.

well, wasnt expecting Elmo and Taylor.....cant say i'm over happy about that but hey, it is what it is....

Dean must have his reasons and therefore, whilst i'm not happy about it, i keep the faith....utv

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Smith gone for the Elmo - Trez connection possibly?

Elmo's best spell for us was when Snodgrass was on form and they work really well together.

So there might be something in that

I can only think he has gone for as familiar a line up as possible to avoid changing too much too quickly.

I trust Dean’s judgement and not getting on his back at all, but I do think the sooner he gets the new full backs in the better.

16 minutes ago, av1 said:

42 mins before the first game of the season, with no idea about fitness levels/injuries and we are jumping in the manager already. 

Fecking hell it's going to be a long season. 

This 

I fear we will get over powered in midfield and not offer enough going forward from FB, so will be camped in our defensive third too much. As per Norwich last night I fear we might be too similar to the championship team of last season. Hope I’m wrong but I’m surprised at that starting 11, and not in a nice way! 

For me this team hints at Smith protecting the new lads. Spurs are a quality team and could bash us 5-0 easily, regardless of our team selection. Just like Liverpool and Man City have done. But it is the wrong team selection.

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Taylor FFS . 😞

This times a million. Insanity. Other than that the team is okay. 

Edited by villa89

There’s an awful lot of pant pissing going on in here. Let’s wait and see shall we rather than writing the game off. 

• Like 2

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

"Smith has written this off. Doesn't want to knock confidence team he wants to pick when our season starts next weekend. Luiz, Targett, Guilbert all start at Villa Park."

Edited by Tomaszk

If we were still in the Championship Id be concerned if Taylor and Elmo were our main full backs. We are about to play last seasons CL finalists..

Just now, Robtaylor200 said:

Just got time to go to the toilet AGAIN 

20 minutes ? - I want a photo of that log !!!

• Haha 2

I think we have to remember we arent playing with a proper dm. I therefore think caution is the better part of valor with our back 4. Our front 6 can really play. Looking forward to it.

TBH, he's played the team closest to the one who held up to the pressure at Wembley and got us promoted.  Hoping the same experienced heads can get us something at Spurs.  UTV!  Let's go, boys!

Would have liked to see Hause at LB if Targett isn't ready. He was really good there last year. 

• Like 1