Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm nephew is 23 does that mean he is worth 40m? His age doesn't matter it's his ability and whether he is worth that. I feel we are massively over paying.your telling an for 30m  we can't find anyone better?

The point is at 24 you have a long career runway in front of him to get value, and an opportunity to profit. He could sign for 5 years to amortise his purchase price to £4m/season and his wages would be generally cheaper, than say a 27 year old. We could own him for 4 years and sell him at 28 his prime for likely what we paid or possibly more, whereas if we bought a half decent player at 28, you get a diminishing asset.

My concern is we could have a lot of money in the bank and back in the Championship. We have the weakest squad in the PL at the moment and if anything the market is rising even in this window, God knows what it will be on August 7th, or in January and next summer.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The point is at 24 you have a long career runway in front of him to get value, and an opportunity to profit. He could sign for 5 years to amortise his purchase price to £4m/season and his wages would be generally cheaper, than say a 27 year old. We could own him for 4 years and sell him at 28 his prime for likely what we paid or possibly more, whereas if we bought a half decent player at 28, you get a diminishing asset.

My concern is we could have a lot of money in the bank and back in the Championship. We have the weakest squad in the PL at the moment and if anything the market is rising even in this window, God knows what it will be on August 7th, or in January and next summer.

The other side is he flops and only championship clubs want him. They won't buy him, as his wages will be too high, so we end up loaning him out for the next 3 years, before he leaves for nothing. 

That's why it's important to get value for money. It covers you, to a degree, with either scenario. 

Edited by Made In Aston

I now have total faith in the people who run this club. In this I mean if they believe this lad  will bring massive contributions to villa over the next few years then I trust what they ALL agree on. I also now trust that IF this guy was to fail ( I doubt it ) then the 15-20-25-30 million would really not be earth shattering to us. When you think of the money wasted on shit and wages over the last 10 years then having a guy like this to fill a position we are in need of as a priority is a no brainier. Him Jack and sjm is a unbelievable midfield for a promoted team and if kept together could propel us into dreamland in the coming seasons.. 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Is it true he's started following Villa players on Instagram? I don't use it but saw this pic recently

FB_IMG_1562274972765.jpg

Apparently he followed them for ages

Nothing new here in afraid.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

The other side is he flops and only championship clubs want him. They won't buy him, as his wages will be too high, so we end up loaning him out for the next 3 years, before he leaves for nothing. 

That's why it's important to get value for money. It covers you, to a degree, with either scenario. 

There's loads of ways of looking at value for money, though.

One is the value of the player himself, in isolation - i.e. his market value.

Another is the value he adds to your existing team - i.e. his marginal value.

And then you could even complicate it more by looking at his relative value vs. other realistic transfer options - maybe you call this his relative value for his position.

£30m does sound like a lot of cash to pay for Kalvin Phillips. But DS currently has zero options at defensive mid. So the marginal value of signing a good player in this position is massive. If we spend £30m on an extra option at left back, then that is crazy. Spending that cash on a defensive mid feels a bit more sensible.

And then finally, we have the issue that competent defensive mids are a scarce resource. There aren't many on the market, certainly not with experience in English football. That means we may have to pay a premium, since he's one of the best options available, and the alternatives aren't particularly inspiring. It also means that even if he flops, there will probably still be plenty of clubs interested in buying him off us.

So I think the maths are more complicated on this one. I'd still love to see us get him for £15-20m if possible, but I wouldn't be too upset if we break the bank.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Apparently he followed them for ages

Nothing new here in afraid.

That was said about Twitter recently not Instagram and Hourihane and Lansbury weren't mentioned. Are you confusing the two or you know?

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

That was said about Twitter recently not Instagram and Hourihane and Lansbury weren't mentioned. Are you confusing the two or you know?

possibly confusing the two, but i imagine the answer is still the same.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's pretty much an observable constant across all cultures that nobody likes the feeling of being mugged off in a deal. 

But we won”t know if Villa have been ‘mugged off’ until the player has played for a decent portion of their Villa contract period.

Taking Phillips as an example, if he signs for what many fans would see as a ‘bargain’ £10m, but Phillips fails to perform in the PL, Villa will have been mugged off.

If Phillips signs for what some Villa fans perceive to be a rip-off £25m and even takes a whole season to settle, but then performs brilliantly for us for the remaining 2 or 3 years of his contract, we won’t have been mugged off at all.

In a football age where fees are often undisclosed and available budgets are unknown, there’s little value in exclaiming whether a player is a bargain or the club is being mugged off, especially before the player has even kicked a ball for us.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

He could, any signing could. But he is young and on an upward trajectory, if you have seen him you will know he is quick, strong, combative with a good range of passing and has great energy. He was the fulcrum of Leeds team. He is every bit on par with McGinn for me, not better - a different player, just a competitive, a driving force, high energy, never-say-die kind of player with a touch of quality and likelihood of improvement. 

10 minutes ago, thunderball said:

He could, any signing could. But he is young and on an upward trajectory, if you have seen him you will know he is quick, strong, combative with a good range of passing and has great energy. He was the fulcrum of Leeds team. He is every bit on par with McGinn for me, not better - a different player, just a competitive, a driving force, high energy, never-say-die kind of player with a touch of quality and likelihood of improvement. 

No one had heard of Wan Bisakka beginning of last season but everyone snapped him up in FPL for 4m when it was clear he had starting role for Palace. Now Manure have paid reported 50 million for a defensive FB(only 3 assists but very solid in defence).

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we're currently not interested in this guy. Probably made inquiries and nothing more given the price.

This..... I have no idea how we have been linked with him in the first place (other than maybe him having a good game against us marking jack and assuming deano would want him) or even how the link has gone on for so long without a shred of evidence we have been interested. No official sources that we are in talks, bids have been made nothing. The only thing keeping this link alive is this thread I feel. Not that I wouldn’t want it to happen I think he would be just want we need..... buy me saying that is as good as any link we have had to him so far. From what I’ve seen anyway. 

Â