Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

49 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Because clubs being conscious of their spending means we can avoid having threads like this -

I think these are two different issues, I don't want the club to put themselves in a mess again, but we don't work at the club so we don't know what kind of affect and extra £5mil would have. 

Let's spend responsibly of course, but why fans online bicker about price tags is beyond me. 

49 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Because clubs being conscious of their spending means we can avoid having threads like this -

I think these are two different issues, I don't want the club to put themselves in a mess again, but we don't work at the club so we don't know what kind of affect and extra £5mil would have. 

Let's spend responsibly of course, but why fans online bicker about price tags is beyond me. 

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Just you wait.

If he ends up here he will instantly be marked up to "future England captain" whereas if he stays at Leeds he'll be "not THAT good anyway"

Just how it goes.

Difference is if he does it premier league that's justified. He has done nothing past championship level. Was also part of the Leeds side that completely imploded last year.  20m tops for me

30 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Yeah because we wouldn’t hype up one of our own midfield players with no England caps and say he’s worth 60million would we? 😏

Difference being grealish was at least doing well PL level and running the show in cup semis against Liverpool 😃

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Difference is if he does it premier league that's justified. He has done nothing past championship level.

You’re right.

But the problem is, when a player is ‘doing it’ at premier level, he’s suddenly worth £50m, and he’s signing for a ‘big 6’.

47 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Bit bored of seeing this topic, we aren’t going to sign him are we, so let’s just move on and stop bigging up another clubs player. 

Maybe don’t visit it then 🤷🏻‍♂️

53 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Bit bored of seeing this topic, we aren’t going to sign him are we, so let’s just move on and stop bigging up another clubs player. 

He's 1/4 to come to Villa so there is obviously some substance here.

37 minutes ago, NS1989 said:

I don’t believe (or rather I am hopeful) that we won’t find ourselves in that situation again. And I don’t think, in a a one off situation, it would matter greatly if we paid £20m or £30m for Kalvin Philips. We would probably recoup a lot of that back if we had to.

I think supporters have become more and more aware of the financial side of the game and are a bit more concerned with some of the pitfalls that can found when we’re not being sensible with recruitment. 

I don’t see us paying the top figure for all the targets we’re being linked with, one or two maybe, but not all of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

He's 1/4 to come to Villa so there is obviously some substance here.

Or at least money to be made for the betting companies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Always amazes me when some fans get upset about the club trying to secure the best financial deal. As if getting known amongst chairman for chucking cash about would not have any repercussions on all deals.

Let's just get Arry and O'Neill back. They'll pay it. We will be in league 2 and administration in 5 years but **** it.

Just pay it.

While I agree, and I'm not suggesting we adopt a 'just pay it' attitude, going to the other extreme can also be counter-productive.

We've all heard the stories of missing out on certain players because previous Chairman haven't paid the extra cash for a good signing. Also look at Celtic and McGinn; they essentially lost their record breaking manager and a star signing to be over a couple of hundred thousand pounds.

Erick Pulgar from Chile/Bologna might be a cheaper and currently better option than Philips.

12m Euro release clause. (according to Italian papers that is)

Had a really good season for Bologna and has been outstanding in Copa America for Chile.

No problem with WP either.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Erick Pulgar from Chile/Bologna might be a cheaper and currently better option than Philips.

12m Euro release clause.

Had a really good season for Bologna and has been outstanding in Copa America for Chile.

No problem with WP either.

Good shout but with the calibre of clubs reportedly after him I doubt we would stand much hope of getting him ... 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.calciomercato.com/news/milan-inter-arsenal-why-is-everyone-chasing-bologna-s-erick-pulg-64238

Bologna midfielder Erick Pulgar is dominating the headlines at the moment. After a strong performance with Chile at Copa America, the side eliminated in the semi-final against Peru, and an important string of performances with Bologna in the 18/19 season to save the side from relegation, Pulgar is wanted by a whole array of clubs, including Premier League side Arsenal, as well as Italian sides Roma, AC Milan and Inter Milan, amongst others.

But why is everyone chasing Pulgar? What makes him such a special talent?

Well, aside from his €12 million release clause, which makes him a steal for any interested party, Pulgar is an extremely talented player. At 25-years-old, the Chilean offers a midway point between youth and experience and has spent nearly four years in Serie A, giving him around 100 games of top flight experience. 

Positionally, Pulgar often plays as a defensive midfielder but can, for this reason, play in a more advanced central midfield role.

There are plenty of other players out there. I think Sander Berge is a good DM, as is Santiago Ascacibar. 2 potentially gettable DM's that I'm sure would be cheaper than the rumoured asking price of £25m that Leeds are after.

Especially Berge who, at 6'4, is also a big player to have in that position.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Good shout but with the calibre of clubs reportedly after him I doubt we would stand much hope of getting him ... 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.calciomercato.com/news/milan-inter-arsenal-why-is-everyone-chasing-bologna-s-erick-pulg-64238

Yeah we won't be top of the list but Milan is up in the air as usual and Inter want Torreira.

And Arsenal is also a mess and probably wont try for him unless they sell Torreira who want to move back to Italy 

With Roma I assume it hinges on them selling Zaniolo or Pelligrini first.

43 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

There are plenty of other players out there. I think Sander Berge is a good DM, as is Santiago Ascacibar. 2 potentially gettable DM's that I'm sure would be cheaper than the rumoured asking price of £25m that Leeds are after.

Especially Berge who, at 6'4, is also a big player to have in that position.

Berge would be a brilliant signing and as you say, a bit cheaper than Phillips. 

• Like 1

Was in Leeds today for work and one of the guys I met claimed to know people high up at Elland Road. Apparently we've already had bids of £15m and £17m rejected but Leeds will sell for £25m as they need the cash.

Not ITK at all just random rumours/chat from someone I met.

15 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Was in Leeds today for work and one of the guys I met claimed to know people high up at Elland Road. Apparently we've already had bids of £15m and £17m rejected but Leeds will sell for £25m as they need the cash.

Fair enough. Could see us paying £20m take it or leave it kinda deal. Would be happy with that.

23 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I’ve been told the same by a mate that is close to someone at the club. 

They are not in a position to turn down that kind of money.

8 hours ago, LoughboroughLion said:

While I agree, and I'm not suggesting we adopt a 'just pay it' attitude, going to the other extreme can also be counter-productive.

We've all heard the stories of missing out on certain players because previous Chairman haven't paid the extra cash for a good signing. Also look at Celtic and McGinn; they essentially lost their record breaking manager and a star signing to be over a couple of hundred thousand pounds.

0011d0be-500.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â