Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

11 hours ago, thunderball said:

At 24 he is worth £30m, not sure what we are farting about for, we need to knuckle down and prepare for August, not play some poker game until August 8th having got no one else in and neither have they so see who blinks first. I would say we have most to lose, with this approach to signings?

I see Mings may now be in doubt because Ake is piquing the interest of MC, we will end up with option D at this rate.

I'm nephew is 23 does that mean he is worth 40m? His age doesn't matter it's his ability and whether he is worth that. I feel we are massively over paying.your telling an for 30m  we can't find anyone better?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Also - I doubt we're going to pay £30m for him. The BBC Leeds radio journo seemed to be saying something in the region of £15m. There's a bit of a tendency on this board to take the highest price quoted anywhere in the media and assume that is gospel. 

I reckon he would probably cost around 20 million. 

I think people get caught up in the headline fee rather than how the deal is structured. In my opinion a deal like this should be structured so that we pay a reasonable amount up front and the rest with incentives such as X amount when he plays 50 games/100 games for us, X  if we stay up this season, X if he gets international caps, etc. If you added the incentives up the headline figure could be £30m but in reality you would only pay that amount if all the incentives are met. 

43 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think people get caught up in the headline fee rather than how the deal is structured. In my opinion a deal like this should be structured so that we pay a reasonable amount up front and the rest with incentives such as X amount when he plays 50 games/100 games for us, X  if we stay up this season, X if he gets international caps, etc. If you added the incentives up the headline figure could be £30m but in reality you would only pay that amount if all the incentives are met. 

Exactly... Darren Bent for a time reportedly cosy £24million but now it has been lowered to £18mill when in fact we paid £19.5 million for him ..... £18mill initially then £1.5mill when we stayed up. He didn’t reach any other incentives. I reckon it will be around £18mill plus incentives up to £25mill.... plus with a long term contract say 4 years due to amortisation he will cost us on the books £4.5mill this summer in I’m correct in my understanding. I also have a suspicion this one has been agreed but maybe  they are waiting to source a replacement . Just a hunch 😉

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Why do football fans care so much about transfer fees? It's NWSE's cash, not your own, and if he costs a lot then it is what it is. I'd happily see us pay £30mil just to annoy Leeds fans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NS1989 said:

Why do football fans care so much about transfer fees? It's NWSE's cash, not your own, and if he costs a lot then it is what it is. I'd happily see us pay £30mil just to annoy Leeds fans. 

I think it matters because the less we pay for each player the more money there is to buy other players. I assume there's a limit to the amount of money that NSWE's are willing to spend this summer in transfers/wages

2 minutes ago, NS1989 said:

Because clubs being conscious of their spending means we can avoid having threads like this -

It's too simplistic to take the £25-£30m price quoted in the media and fans base their judgement of purchasing him on that.

If he would improve us, there is a lack of players in his position at the club, he has the right attitude, and he has potential to grow with the team as we develop through our PL journey, then how can anyone place a price on that?

Even then, the deal - as people have said - will likely be structured in a way that we only pay the add-ons if the above is true.

We can't expect to buy finished products, so let's get this done and integrate him - if, of course, he is Smith and Suso's man.

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Exactly... Darren Bent for a time reportedly cosy £24million but now it has been lowered to £18mill when in fact we paid £19.5 million for him ..... £18mill initially then £1.5mill when we stayed up. He didn’t reach any other incentives. I reckon it will be around £18mill plus incentives up to £25mill.... plus with a long term contract say 4 years due to amortisation he will cost us on the books £4.5mill this summer in I’m correct in my understanding. I also have a suspicion this one has been agreed but maybe but they are waiting to source a replacement . Just a hunch 😉

I believe Glenn Whelan is available on a free transfer. Somebody get on to Leeds and let them know. That should speed things up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always amazes me when some fans get upset about the club trying to secure the best financial deal. As if getting known amongst chairman for chucking cash about would not have any repercussions on all deals.

Let's just get Arry and O'Neill back. They'll pay it. We will be in league 2 and administration in 5 years but **** it.

Just pay it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Is your Nephew one of the best young English defensive midfielders in a grossly inflated market and league awash with cash?

How is he one of the best English young players? What are you basing this on one good season in the championship? How many England caps does he have?

Talk about overhyping him 

Edited by Demitri_C

It will be 15-20 mill plus add-ons. Seems a very fair price in the current market. If we have to pay the add-ons then he must have performed well for us, again no problem if by the end of the season we are still in the Prem we owe them another few million.

Nothing to get worried about 😊

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How is he one of the best English young players? What are you basing this on one good season in the championship? How many England caps does he have?

Yeah because we wouldn’t hype up one of our own midfield players with no England caps and say he’s worth 60million would we? 😏

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Based on watching him for a couple of sessons, but I mentioned holding mids in particular and if England caps are a barometer of how good a player is (they're not) then OK, I think he's better and / or has more potential than the guys playing that position for England currently.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just you wait.

If he ends up here he will instantly be marked up to "future England captain" whereas if he stays at Leeds he'll be "not THAT good anyway"

Just how it goes.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm nephew is 23 does that mean he is worth 40m? His age doesn't matter it's his ability and whether he is worth that. I feel we are massively over paying.your telling an for 30m  we can't find anyone better?

Better? No. Nearly as good for a lot less? Yes.

But that’s a gamble I’d prefer not to take.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Because clubs being conscious of their spending means we can avoid having threads like this -

Read through that recently. It really grounded me, made me realise how lucky we are. It's why the play off final was an emotional moment for us all - sure, it's not an FA Cup, or a European Cup, but it was the end of a long period of absolute shit. It felt like we finally hit the bottom and started to rise again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Just you wait.

If he ends up here he will instantly be marked up to "future England captain" whereas if he stays at Leeds he'll be "not THAT good anyway"

Just how it goes.

Personally, I don't give a **** if he plays for England or not. Or any of our players fir that matter. If its what they want and it makes them happier, great. But it also puts them into contact with some overhyped clearings in the woods on 2 or 3 times what they earn, who start twisting their melon and dreaming about sitting on the bench of a SKY 6 club.

Â