Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

Soon as I saw the Phillips link i was excited. Strong with a low centre of gravity, tenacious, excellent marker, fairly quick with good energy levels, If you're making comparisons Gattuso is the closest i can think of. Like Gattuso he also knows how to persistantly foul and spoil without getting sent off.

It's not just his performances against us, it's also how highly the Leeds fans rate him. He is their Grealish! They rate him higher than Jack Clarke, who just signed for Spurs.

He would fit into to our midfield almost perfectly (perfect would be if he had Pirlo's range of passing as well).

Edited by Philosopher
wanted to add something

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s a strange argument. Whilst we all hope Smith and Suso will do extensive research and sign good players, their record so far (yes it’s a tiny amount to compare) is very hit and miss: 

Guilbert - not played can’t judge

Mings - Hit 

Hause - Hit 

Carroll - injures when signed, got injured again - Miss 

Kalinic - Miss (looking to offload)

The summer signings can’t be judged yet.

Therefore, people have a right to question the value and price of players and whether they will do well. 

As for Phillips, I don’t really care about the price as it’s not my money. I don’t recall him that much in the home game against Leeds and I never saw the away. Didn’t watch Leeds at any other time. If they feel he adds to our team and there is no one better available then great. 

Whilst I don't disagree with your point I think that transfer summary is harsh. Instead of filing Carroll and Kalinic into the 'miss' category I'd simply exclude them from the conversation entirely. Carroll, as far as I recall, looked tidy during his brief cameo and then was ruled out through injury. Kalinic, benched via a freak injury (concussion vs WBA), was unable to reclaim his place given the form of a certain Jed Steer, which I doubt many people expected.

Unless you expect the management team to predict injuries I wouldn't call either transfer a miss - we were unlucky and neither played enough for us to judge.

.. But on the other hand perhaps I'm biased since I'm certain a fully fit Carroll would play extremely well in a championship level Dean Smith side and I'm confident there's a PL-level keeper in Kalinic if given time.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 1

I've just noticed that Leeds have an obligation to buy Costa at the end of his loan in July of next year for £15m. So they're going to have to raise some money from somewhere for that. No guarantee that they'll get promoted, or that in a years time Phillips will have the same market value as he does now.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I've just noticed that Leeds have an obligation to buy Costa at the end of his loan in July of next year for £15m. So they're going to have to raise some money from somewhere for that. No guarantee that they'll get promoted, or that in a years time Phillips will have the same market value as he does now.

It seems a very strange arrangement. As you say there’s no guarantee that Leeds will get promoted, they don’t exactly have much history of promotion, even when in very strong positions they seem to always mess it up. Then there’s the length of the contract. In total it’s 5 years, the kid isn’t going to be on low wages coming from Wolves, so if they don’t get promoted they’re double screwed. Unless of course this takeover is about to happen and their new owners are backing it?

On 02/07/2019 at 14:44, hippo said:

He also admitted that he decided he wanted out from villa very early on.

Because Sherwood had made no effort to integrate him into the squad and didn't even speak to him, IIRC.

He was probably too busy focusing on integrating Lescott and Richards.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, useless said:

I've just noticed that Leeds have an obligation to buy Costa at the end of his loan in July of next year for £15m. 

I've got a loyalty card with about 9 quid on it if it would help.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Because Sherwood had made no effort to integrate him into the squad and didn't even speak to him, IIRC.

He was probably too busy focusing on integrating Lescott and Richards.

What??? Phillips wants out already, Lescott and Richards are still on the books and our manager is Timmy Sherwood again? From top of the world to despair in just a few seconds.

I do share the concerns of those that think that £25-£30m for Phillips seems like madness. As some other posters have also said, I’d not even heard of Phillips until we played Leeds, so it’s not like he’s one of these great youngsters that has been talked up for ages. Now, all of a sudden, he could potentially become our record signing after having, what, one good season and a handful of average ones?

If Smith and the staff rate him that highly, then I’ll obviously get behind him. But there is, understandably, that fear that we could be overpaying for a flash in the pan that goes on to be the next Cattermole.

I mean, at a young age, Jay Spearing was talked up for one season at Liverpool. Imagine if he was a Brentford player, someone would have snapped him up for £30m too.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Me on seeing this page has extended five pages just since I last logged on:

giphy.gif

Me after reading five pages of bitching about Gattuso and tit puns:

tenor.gif?itemid=12092711

I can see why that would get on your tits. 

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Stop making him out to be something he's not. He's an above average young championship dmc.  Arguably even a very good championship dmc. But people are praising him like Gattuso mk2. Just embarrassing. 

The irony of this is some Milan fans would probably have said the same thing about Gattuso after his season at Rangers or for those giants of Italian football Salerntina.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â