Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

15 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Each to their own but buying ampadu would be the very definition of taking a risk for me.

Kid has played a few games cup games for Chelsea and internationals for Wales. 

Phillips is much more proven. 

I always like a dialogue where we can respect differences and acknowledge that our perspectives are shaped from the different angles of point of view.

I see where you are coming from with the Ampadu statement, however from the footage I have seen of both, Ampadu is going to be better equipped for life at the top level.

They both read the game very well, defensively both are very talented in different ways, I prefer Ampadu's game in that department, but he doesn't have Philips physicality.

On the ball, there is a vast gap in skill level (obviously from what I have seen). Philips has the most basic of ability for the top level, whether passing or with it at his feet.

Ampadu on the other hand can play some stellar passes, and while I've never seen him dribble really, has a good sense of the weight of the ball, and touch to go with.

@TrentVilla

Edited by A'Villan

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Hard to answer, its not particularly quantifiable.

He just strikes me as being a player who is intelligent in his movement and play, physically imposing and who has a real positional discipline to his game. I could well be wrong but I think he has huge potential.

For me it is more about the player I think he will become than the player he is now.

I see where you are coming from and agree to some extent. I can't speak for him reaching his potential at the top level.

I will tag you in another post I made and you can see my assessment.

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He did score 1 in 4 in about an 11 week period after a slow start and then turned to pot. It's possible the Arnautavic leaving, not leaving affected the team. I place a high value on CDM if they prevent goals being scored and improve possession and distribution. It's one of the most important positions we need to fill. Besides your basing similar transfer fees based on paper/internet talk which I trust as far as I can spit 

Totally agree with the importance you place on the holding midfield role. I have doubts over KP's ability to play the ball though. I am not concrete on that, purely from what I've seen.

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Totally agree with the importance you place on the holding midfield role. I have doubts over KP's ability to play the ball though. I am not concrete on that, purely from what I've seen.

His passing is very good indeed.  Me and a Leeds mate watched a lot of each other's games last season, and he was their best player every time I saw them.  There are no guarantees he'd make the step up, but from what I can see his attributes would complement the strengths of Grealish and McGinn perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t usually post but I live in Leeds and just heard from a guy at work that Phillips’ housemate has said that he’s packed his bags and he’s coming to villa. Information is third hand (probably fourth hand actually) so believe it if you want but he also mentioned a figure significantly greater than 40k/week. That’s all I’ve heard but even if it’s nonsense it’s positive nonsense at least.

• Like 1

Positive nonsense 😀

I can see why the lad wouldn’t want to leave. It’s his hometown club who have been out the prem for years, and it looks like they are going to be very close again this season. He would love to be a part of that team that reaches the prem. if they were their usual mid table self, then he’d have put a transfer request in by now. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

6 minutes ago, mrhaneen said:

Don’t usually post but I live in Leeds and just heard from a guy at work that Phillips’ housemate has said that he’s packed his bags and he’s coming to villa. Information is third hand (probably fourth hand actually) so believe it if you want but he also mentioned a figure significantly greater than 40k/week. That’s all I’ve heard but even if it’s nonsense it’s positive nonsense at least.

Wednesday it is!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I always like a dialogue where we can respect differences and acknowledge that our perspectives are shaped from the different angles of point of view.

I see where you are coming from with the Ampadu statement, however from the footage I have seen of both, Ampadu is going to be better equipped for life at the top level.

They both read the game very well, defensively both are very talented in different ways, I prefer Ampadu's game in that department, but he doesn't have Philips physicality.

On the ball, there is a vast gap in skill level (obviously from what I have seen). Philips has the most basic of ability for the top level, whether passing or with it at his feet.

Ampadu on the other hand can play some stellar passes, and while I've never seen him dribble really, has a good sense of the weight of the ball, and touch to go with.

@TrentVilla

Ampadu's a talent for sure but I think Phillips is more proven, admittedly in the Championship.

I'm not sure Phillips is available but Ampadu's certainly doesn't seem to be unless on loan and I just don't see that being something we go for when they would want him back.

39 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I wouldn't have minded signing Jansson for £5.5m. He would have been a good squad player and cheap enough.

Smith must have thought differently. From my much limited scouting ability in comparison, I’m not sure Jansson would be a good fit for our changing room.

3 hours ago, mrhaneen said:

Would''t he travel down, sign, look for a new house,  etc - then pack his bags ? 

Edited by hippo

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Would''t he travel down, sign, look for a new house,  etc - then pack his bags ? 

What's wrong with a B&B in Hagley road? Fecking footballers. 

1 hour ago, Craigy1874 said:

You are forgetting the fact he is an absolute arsehole though.

I saw a rumour somewhere that one of the reasons he is gone is becasue Bielsa din't appreciate his conduct against Villa. Probably b*****ks but there ya go.

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

I saw a rumour somewhere that one of the reasons he is gone is becasue Bielsa din't appreciate his conduct against Villa. Probably b*****ks but there ya go.

Think Bielsa has disliked Jansson since day 1 

Â