Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

On 25/06/2019 at 14:08, Designer1 said:

I remember that goal well. Gullit had dropped Shearer (lol) and that was his last game in charge.

luckily for Newcastle they have gained more sense over the years ;)

• Like 1

On 25/06/2019 at 13:45, Hobbit Feet said:

Shay Given pulling off a decent stop then immediately getting lobbed from inside his own area is possibly the most Shay Given thing ever.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Shay Given pulling off a decent stop then immediately getting lobbed from inside his own area is possibly the most Shay Given thing ever.

Get the fundamentals wrong. Build from there. Backwards.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

Few twitter reports saying that we have gone in for £25 million for Phillips, would be happy with that if we managed to get him.  Seems though he is quite keen to stay at leeds

Sounds expensive...but hopefully worth it.

It's a key position. We've let Jedinak and Whelan go (I'd have given Whelan another year, personally). That leaves us horribly short in this area.

Leeds know we need him and he's important to how they play. Given all that, I'd pay it.

£15m would be a lot for a Championship DCM. £25 would be eye watering.

Fully get why Leeds are asking that much thou as he is integral to them, but we have a whole world to find players in.

• Like 4

I've mentioned a few times on here that I'm a big, big fan of Philips and think he would fit in perfectly with our team but... 

I think 25 million is a LOT of money and although I get why Leeds would want that (we as a club know that more than most),  we should look elsewhere for sure! 

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Twenty.

Five.

Million.

Pounds?

Nah...

Maybe. But if the manager wants him, we have to get him. I'll be honest, I don't know enough, saw 3 games on TV and he was on fire, but that's not enough.

We need a holding midfielder who's got 90 minutes flat out stamina and physical athleticism every match and is also an accurate and accomplished passer of the ball. Add a bit of 'nasty' to his on the pitch persona, and you've got Kalvin Philips. The guy's got a good character and training ethic away from match days as well.

I'm guessing 18 million plus add ons and a sell on clause could get the deal done.

The DM role is so important to the way we play it might be worth paying the money for him. You see top teams how they suffer when their DM is out. Take Man City for example, no one can replace Fernandinho in their team. He's not a top top player but in their system he is essential.

I think we need two new players in DM as Hourhane will get walked all over in this league at DM. 

• Like 1

Leeds can ask for whatever they feel like, it’s their prerogative, however I don’t want to see Villa being bent over with fees like that. Next up even the Brentfords and Bristols will start asking for 25 mil instead of 20 for their unproven players.

Hopefully just paper talk.

Â