Shrewsbury (Jul 21)

limpid

2 hours ago, swollef said:

Did Engels play ?

No, he didn’t, in the first half at centre back it was Mings and Konsa. In the second half, it was Chester and Hause, we looked more than solid at the back I thought 

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Not a bad run out. Second half performance was much much better, Wesley and RHM looked great. 

Well there you go we are all different I thought the first half was way way better ( after the first few minutes which were awful lol)

Just got back from the game.  My thoughts below before I’ve read other people’s opinion, which’ll Do straight afterwards to see how I differ from others.

Need a new GK without doubt.

We are going to have to be really careful playing out from the back, we seem to get ourselves into trouble and we aren’t Barca.

Targett I think will be good

i think Chester looks good and should start with Mings

Conor looked good, Thor wasn’t. 

Jack was just Jack, going to be pivotal this season, great talent.

Davis is never going to be PL quality. Can hold the ball up ok but as a striker just doesn’t look good enough.

Wes I’m excited about, still only glimpses but something to be optimistic about. 

Not convinced still by Green

Overall still stands out we need a quality GK, DM, Winger and Striker. Looks like we’ll be signing two of them in the next few days, hopefully we are looking for the other two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Where was El Ghazi?, he was in the squad wasn't he?

Where was Engels?, is he carrying an injury or is he miles behind in training or something?

Where was kalinic?

Kalinin was there in the warm up.

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Chester's played well, gets the nod over Ming's for me 

I respect your view but to me Chester looked way way off it, struggled hugely, whereas Mings looked good, defended well, found players in space well.

I wouldn’t expect Chester to play much at all, and I’d not pick any of our other defenders ahead of Mings.

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I respect your view but to me Chester looked way way off it, struggled hugely, whereas Mings looked good, defended well, found players in space well.

I wouldn’t expect Chester to play much at all, and I’d not pick any of our other defenders ahead of Mings.

Wow, I thought totally different....before preseason started I thought Chester was done playing for Villa but so far after 2 games Chester, for me, is our 2nd CB behind Ming’s and looked solid.  The others are the future but so far Ming’s and Chester would start against Spurs.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Wow, I thought totally different....before preseason started I thought Chester was done playing for Villa but so far after 2 games Chester, for me, is our 2nd CB behind Ming’s and looked solid.  The others are the future but so far Ming’s and Chester would start against Spurs.

I bet you electronic fake betting money that Chester doesn't start against spurs.

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I bet you electronic fake betting money that Chester doesn't start against spurs.

Yeah I know, it was just my opinion.  It’s also why I’ve never been offered the Villa job 😂 

Only saw the last 20mins of the game, so can't comment on the game as a whole. Was happy to see Hogan getting a goal, he needs a bit of confidence badly. Great assist from big Wes too. 

Hope by the next game we have Douglas and Trez in the team to get some mins. 

Most are saying it, but I think a new keeper is essential. A poor keeper at this level is the difference between staying up and going down. 

On 21/07/2019 at 15:42, DCJonah said:

For today or when the season starts?

Ming's was guilty of over playing it for me, if he does that in the premier League we will get punished and conceding cheap goals from avoidable situations destroys team spirit , he needs to cut it out .

It's early days yet and maybe it's a bit premature but the warning signs are there for me. Chester was solid and read the game well and didn't over complicate things 

I know we're only in the early pre-season stage and mainly focussed on building fitness and team spirit and avoiding injury, but i  honestly think Courtney Hause has looked to be our sharpest and best central defender over the course of these two friendlies, closely followed by Chester and then Konsa. Tyrone Mings has  looked really sloppy and overconfident to me so far... I really hope he's back to the high standards of last season soon!

• Like 1

Shrewsbury gave us a good game. It was a bit of a dull affair, but I didn’t go away too worried. We will up our game for the season. I think we will take time to gel mind, and I’m not convinced we have a goal scorer yet. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/07/2019 at 13:41, bobzy said:

Played in the first game, scored. Is part of the squad. Are you actually surprised?

Petty as hell, I won't deny it, but I remembered this post and laughed. :P 

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Petty as hell, I won't deny it, but I remembered this post and laughed. :P 

I’m more surprised he’s been released than that he played a part in pre-season! Granted, I’m not fussed either way. 

Â