Shrewsbury (Jul 21)

limpid

Can't knock Hogan, has had injury setbacks and been treated like s*** by Bruce but doesn't moan, just gets his head down and gets on with it much like Tommy Elphick did!

Lovely assist from Wesley!😍

• Like 1

RHM has bulked up hasnt he, if it was me I think o'hare needs more loan time and rhm was closer to the first team.

Wesley a very intelligent player, goes to show we could play him and another up top as his link up.play is quality

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You think? I can't see absolutely anything to suggest he is anywhere near the level Jack was. We all knew grealish had quality. O hare looks championship at best to me.

He's just young and needs to develop a bit more. I'm not saying he's going to become the next Jack, I just see similarities in how O'Hare plays, especially comparing him to how Jack played when he was younger. If O'Hare can hit the gym a bit and get a full season of first team football in the Championship over the next year or two then I think he can be an excellent player for Villa. 

Beneficial run out for all having 45 mins a piece.

difficult to assess the second half play as the team was pretty disjointed with no real width, which hampered both Bree and Targett who never had anyone to overlap.

big Wes looked ok, with some nice touches but I feel suffered from no support from out wide. Good assist for hogan too. 

the youngsters did ok too, RHM was better than expect and O’Hare was tenacious at least. 

Central defence and midfield were also fairly solid.

Only caught the last half an hour or so.

RHM looked decent, I thought he looked bigger today? More of a unit. @Fowlersrs glad I’m not the only one to think so. 

I thought O’Hare looked ok. Another loan, this time at a higher level, will do him good. 

Nice assist from Wes, I suspect we’ll be seeing similar to that this season.

A decent warm up with no apparent injuries. Wesley showed that his youtube clips are accurate, Gilbert, Jota, Jack, Konsa and Hourihane looked comfortable on the ball and I thought Hause looked sharp.

It's good to see Chester back, and I was pleased that Hogan scored even though he's probably not going to feature this season. 

Steer looked dodgy on a number of occasions, but it was a training game so he got away with some sloppy play. I would be concerned if I thought he was going to be our number one keeper at Premier level.

To summarise that:

Very happy that we played football on the deck in the same way both halves after changing 10 players. Some of the football we played, especially first half was really good.

Steer - Didn't have much to do but worried me at times on the ball. Seemed to make a few odd decisions and was almost caught out. Wouldn't be against a new keeper coming in.

Guilbert - Didn't have much to do defensively, very good going foward. Very quick.

Taylor - Average game.

Mings - Tyrone Pings, average game, some lovely balls forward.

Konsa - Looked good, quite raw. Need's time to settle.

Jota - Very good, not the quickest but great with the ball. Will be an asset this season.

Green - Average game. Does some things very well then makes sloppy decisions/shots/crosses. Needs a full season on loan for me.

Bjarnasson - Actually looked quite good, won the ball and made some decent passes from deep.

Grealish - Different planet, I can't remember the last time I saw him lose the ball.

McGinn - Average game.

Davis - Held the ball up really well. Needs to add goals to become the full package. Needs a full season on loan for me as he won't get the game time this season.

Bree - Average game.

Targett - Average game, get's forward well.

Hause - Average game, got caught trying to take the ball forward a few times.

Chester - Very good, looked calm and composed. Currently would start him with Mings against Spurs (although Engels hasn't yet played)

Hourihane - Very good, controlled the tempo well from deep.

Lansbury - Very good, great range of passing. Looks to be getting back to his best, I hope he shows it this season.

O'Hare - Worked hard, got himself involved but looks too lightweight. Needs a full season on loan.

RHM - Very good, got stuck in. Looks to have bulked up and was a real danger at LW. Constantly fouled as he was causing the defence problems. Looks to be joining Tranmere on loan which will be good for him.

Hogan - Average game. Took his goal well and linked up with Wesley well.

Wesley - Held the ball up magnificently. Linked up well with Hogan, it makes me think if he had Maupay next to him it could be a frightening combination. Now need to see how he does in front of goal.

• Thanks 1

Steer not as good in the second half. In a normal game, he would've had a straight red at one point. Got himself into some real bother by bit moving the ball quickly enough too.

I was surprised to not see Engels. And I'm guessing Bree only made another appearance because Elmo is having extra time off. Hause and Chester were solid. Targett looked solid too, although I didn't catch him much in attaching positions. Maybe I'm just blind?

Lansbury and Hourihane decent, O'Hare still off the pace for me. He needs to be braver when he gets in front of goal - he could've had a couple today, but he refused to shoot for some reason.

Nice to see RHM. He really gave them a tough time. Direct and tenacious, good qualities to have.

That's the best I've ever seen Hogan play, and not just because he got a goal. I'm glad for him - he may not be great, but you can't knock a guy for trying his best and not making a fuss.

Wesley is the standout performer from both halves for me. Sublime first touch, excellent vision, great passing ability. Would've been nice to see him have a proper look at goal, but the way he brings other players into the game is superb.

Edited by Greenfly
Forgot to mention Jed

All good, very difficult to be too critical given the selection chosen and the early nature of pre-season.

I just don't see Hogan having a future in the PL, for us or anyone. Davis, O'Hare, RHM and Green for me look like they could do with a years loan in the Championship. There is talent there, worth keeping and developing.

Guilbert and Jota look great. BB looked OK too, maybe we don't need a Nakamba as well as Luiz?

Great to know that we have El Ghazi, Tregezuet, Kodjia, Luiz, Engels with possibly Heaton and Maupay to arrive yet. Very happy with the possible squad. Dont think we will be great this season, but enough to stay up. But this squad will mature over 2-3 seasons nicely.

Want to see our possible starting 11 starting next match.

Where was El Ghazi?, he was in the squad wasn't he?

Where was Engels?, is he carrying an injury or is he miles behind in training or something?

Where was kalinic?

Edited by MaVilla

Â