Minnesota, USA (Jul 18)

On 07/06/2019 at 14:54, PrimevalVillan said:

Prior to relegation, Villa was the 4th most popular club in the US, I think. Thinking of making the trip to Minny from Baltimore to see the club.

Really? I wouldn’t have thought that. 

22 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Really? I wouldn’t have thought that. 

I don't believe it's accurate. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton, West Ham all have a bigger following than Villa, sadly. With the stature of the PL having exploded in the USA even more recently I'd bet that even Leicester and Wolves have lapped us. 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I don't believe it's accurate. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton, West Ham all have a bigger following than Villa, sadly. With the stature of the PL having exploded in the USA even more recently I'd bet that even Leicester and Wolves have lapped us. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Villa was the most popular English club in America outside of the top 6. Maybe it’s my bias, but I’ve noticed more Villa gear while walking around than Newcastle/Everton, and certainly Wolves. The exception may be Leicester during their Cinderella season, but that fad seems to have passed. I even saw “Up The Villa” carved into a Washington DC public toilet once 😂

• Like 3

I know during our torrid seasons under paul lambert we were 12th most popular club in China out of all the clubs in Europe. I think I read only 6 clubs from England were more popular than us over there. Obviously that’s probably changed now and I’d bet Leicester and Wolves have passed us. 

Heading out of Philly on Monday evening. Heard there's an open training session on Tuesday, so looking forward to that. Just got to find out the details. Game on Wednesday evening, heading back early Thursday morning.

Looking forward to seeing the new players, the new kit, and knowing that the premier league start is just round the corner. 

Might have to make a trip to Spurs, I need to see that stadium and it's the first game of the season.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 18:15, ArizonaVillan said:

The amount of time put in by a few of the N. American chairmen to help get this event organized ...especially considering the short notice given for everything ...has been fantastic. 

Everything I'm seeing on the FB event page points to a great turnout. Several of us Houston supporters will be making the trip ...section 109 for me.

See y'all there.

Looking forward to a week off work too but it looks like the weather will be distinctly Houston-ish which is unfortunate.

Heading out of DC on Tuesday night and making an early return thursday. wish I could have more time but outside of the training session, it seems that there's not going to be much official villa related going on (excluding the nights out of course 😂)

On 04/07/2019 at 05:40, MNVillan said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Villa was the most popular English club in America outside of the top 6. Maybe it’s my bias, but I’ve noticed more Villa gear while walking around than Newcastle/Everton, and certainly Wolves. The exception may be Leicester during their Cinderella season, but that fad seems to have passed. I even saw “Up The Villa” carved into a Washington DC public toilet once 😂

We also had Guzan, Friedel, Lichaj and Bradley for a short time so we had some high profile US players playing for us

I think it's a bad idea going to the US under pre season, no matter how well you try to prepare yourself you often get a jet lag for a couple of days on the way back. Most players wont be 100% for a couple of days and I think it's an unneccessary disruption during pre season, every day is important to gain full fitness to the first game. 

On 07/06/2019 at 06:54, PrimevalVillan said:

Prior to relegation, Villa was the 4th most popular club in the US, I think. Thinking of making the trip to Minny from Baltimore to see the club.

lol...  Not true in the slightest...

Barca, Madrid, Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal have massive massive massive American fan bases.  Spurs and Everton both have a growing following over the past 5-6 seasons, too, and I'm pretty sure Fulham has more American supporters than Villa just due to the large number of Americans who have played for them over the years (McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Ream, etc.).  I think most newer American fans are afraid to support Man City now, just like newer fans ~10-15 seasons ago were afraid to support Chelsea because of the stigma surrounding the clubs owners and buying their success.  Overall, Villa fans are few and far between over here among the footy fans in the States.

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

We also had Guzan, Friedel, Lichaj and Bradley for a short time so we had some high profile US players playing for us

Most Americans don't like Guzan, because he replaced Tim Howard, who was one of the best American players of all time.  Friedel was a legend, but he played before most Americans started following the sport, and he was retired from the National Team when he played for Villa.  Lichaj was called up during the revolving door of "Let's call up any American who plays in Europe, because MLS stars aren't cutting it" phase of the national team and is just as forgettable as the others.  Bradley made 3 appearances for us at Villa and was god awful.  He was still considered shit by most national team supporters at the time, and nearly everyone only thought he was a part of the national team because his father was the USA manager.  

Fulham has had higher profile players playing for them over the years, namely Brian McBride, Clint Dempsey, and Carlos Bocanegra.  They have a pretty large following in the USA because of it.  

On 03/07/2019 at 21:40, MNVillan said:

Really?  I haven't seen any in my time living in Detroit, San Francisco, and Nevada.  I've supported Villa for 14 years and have never seen anyone wearing Villa gear outside of one time I went to NYC and watched the game at a footy bar.  hahaha

9 hours ago, KMitch said:

lol...  Not true in the slightest...

Barca, Madrid, Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal have massive massive massive American fan bases.  Spurs and Everton both have a growing following over the past 5-6 seasons, too, and I'm pretty sure Fulham has more American supporters than Villa just due to the large number of Americans who have played for them over the years (McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Ream, etc.).  I think most newer American fans are afraid to support Man City now, just like newer fans ~10-15 seasons ago were afraid to support Chelsea because of the stigma surrounding the clubs owners and buying their success.  Overall, Villa fans are few and far between over here among the footy fans in the States.

I meant among clubs just from England and it was based on viewership. I'm sure things have changed since 4-5 years ago when I saw that. 

On 07/06/2019 at 14:54, PrimevalVillan said:

I can remember this statistic back at the start of Lerner's ownership. 

I don't have a clue about the accuracy, but it was definitely reported.

On 14/07/2019 at 04:54, MNVillan said:

Who else will be at Brit’s Pub on Wednesday?

Aston Villa will finally launch their all-new Kappa away strip - and it'll be showcased Stateside.

The expected sky-blue number will be launched at a special Villa party at Brit's Pub in downtown Minneapolis from 9.30am on Wednesday (3.30pm UK-time).

Those lucky enough to be in Minneapolis will gather in the huge two-tiered beer garden at the Brit's for an all-day celebration of Villa being in the States.

The party is a nod to the US-based official AVFC Lions Clubs who meet at least once a year all over the US.

Mannequins are expected to be put up showing off the new away strip which was leaked during a promo video shoot outside Villa Park last month.

A special guest is also expected to attend and fans in Minneapolis are rumouring it could be a new signing with both Bjorn Engels and Douglas Luiz currently in Minnesota.

The new Kappa away shirt is expected to be on sale at Allianz Field on Wednesday as well as at Brit's Pub.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villas-kappa-away-kit-16591700

Â