Champions League final 2019

Zatman

14 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Starting Moura was such an obvious decision. Clearly in form and fit. If he isn't performing, bring on a supposedly better Kane at 45mins. No one would have blamed him.

I really don't get it.

Exactly. Kane as an impact sub, if needed, makes so much more sense.

Its the kind of decision that held England back for many years. Players getting a place in the starting line up regardless of form. Thankfully Southgate seems to be braver than those before. Poch looks like he lacks to balls to make a big call and leave the club captain out for the good of the team.

Edited by Genie

Anyone catch Michael Owen (yes I know) on the pre-match buildup: "Yeah, Moura did a hattrick in the semi final, but it's Haaaarrry Kaaannnnnneeeee!"   

It's easy from the comfort of the sofa to say (especially with the benefit of hindsight given how off the pace he was), but whilst bringing Kane into the team was a very easy decision, it was easily a very wrong one.  It's really odd to be honest, we saw with Atletico M a few years back that starting with a palpably unfit striker doesn't work out if they have to go off and your game plan goes up in smoke after 15 minutes (or for that matter, if all you're gonna do in 90 minutes is two intercepted crosses).

Though, after typing all that I can't say that Spurs winning or losing really came down to Kane - there were so many players out there yesterday who looked below their best (but that's not half as fun or glib to write)

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He wasn't bad last season to be fair to him. However since 2016/2017 he has shown a season on season decline. If he plays at this level or worse next season they'll be shipping him out. Looks like becoming mega rich at a young age has had an adverse impact on his development.

He'll still be in the England team for the next 12 years though 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

What is the more important the Premier League or champions league?

For plop? Premier League I'd imagine. They can claim to be the best team in Europe, but the are not even the best team in England 😂

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

which ever one you won ;)

personally for me it will change each year depending on how tough each competition is, city beating an excellent Liverpool team is more of an achievement than that Liverpool team winning the CL IMO, apart from coming back from the dead vs barca (in a game that barca again shouldn't have allowed to happen) they were never really that troubled all competition

For a club like Liverpool its the Premier League 1st, 2nd and 3rd IMO. Haven't won the league in the Premier League era and it's absolutely the elephant in the room for their gigantic club status.

I reckon 95% of Liverpool fans would trade their CL title for the PL title.

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

For city winning the champions league should be more important as they have win the Premier League several times but never won the champions league. 

I dunno, city are edging towards a Bayern munich / juve / psg style dominance which they haven't done before (they hadn't even retained their title before I think) and have the treble this year, for another couple of years I think city can survive just upping their trophy haul (and overtaking us, probably Chelsea too) before the CL becomes a problem, see how its reformatted first

On 03/06/2019 at 14:54, PaulC said:

Depends.

For Man City you'd think now the Champions League is more important.

For LIverpool it's undoubtedly the league.

I imagine for most clubs it's the league, unless they've won it relatively recently.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Depends.

For Man City you'd think now the Champions League is more important.

For LIverpool it's undoubtedly the league.

I imagine for most clubs it's the league, unless they've won it relatively recently.

As an Aston Villa fan, I would rather win the Premier League than the CL right now.

I'd imagine a Spurs fan will want to win the league too, although they came very close in the CL

Â