dont_do_it_doug.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You also have to consider a few things.

1) All managers make some dressingroom signings, their men so to speak. I am not saying Jota is one of them, but it could be another aspect to why he was signed.

2) Secondly, and more importantly. We were pretty much a work in progress this season. The move from Bruceball to Deano pass and move was night and day. We haven't perfected it any way, even if we had a lot of good matches both before Christmas and in our 10 match unbeaten run. Signing a player like Jota that is quite comfortable with the ball at his feet, decent off ball movement, and generally quite adept and pass and move football, well it could simply be a catalyst for developing the football in this side. Maybe he won't be much more than a squad signing, but there's lots of aspects to consider here. 

And most importantly, if this is a signing Deano thinks will make us a better team, which I completely agree with cause we need bodies and Gardner is shite, then who are to question him on that. Most important bit is that the manager is supported on whatever squad changes he wants to make. 

3) he is versatile and can play across any AM position. Jack gets injured and we have a ready made replacement. He can also play on the wings.. Good crosser of the ball 👍🏻

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You should do more research. 

I don't think it's a matter of research mate, more of perception. 

153 games, 31 goals and 22 assists. Which is a goal every 5 games and an assist every 7. I do not consider that great stats in the Championship. 

And before anyone jumps to conclusion, I am not judging the player merely on his stats, but it's the best I can do with the limited times I've seen him. 

Edited by Chicken Field

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

153 games, 31 goals and 22 assists. Which is a goal every 5 games and an assist every 7. I do not consider that great stats in the Championship. 

And before anyone jumps to conclusion, I am not judging the player merely on his stats, but it's the best I can do with the limited times I've seen him. 

Jota was rated higher than El Ghazi last season for what its worth.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/10447/Show/Jota

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/232261/Show/Anwar-El-Ghazi

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Jota was rated higher than El Ghazi last season for what its worth.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/10447/Show/Jota

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/232261/Show/Anwar-El-Ghazi

Interesting, they also have El Ghazi's weight to be 90kg's haha. 
I can imagine that's mostly because El Ghazi was very inconsistent for the majority of the season until the final few games. I've barely ever seen Jota before, so cannot judge him whatsoever, it just worries me that we are gonna end up with another relatively high aged unproven overpaid player, I was expecting us to go for younger players with high resale potential. But I do trust Smith. My only wish with Jota is that he does not sign a long term contract. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

or a goal or assist every 3 games - which you will probably find is higher than all of our midfielders when playing in the championship.....

26 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Wasnt this the very same argument given about Jack before this season?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Wasnt this the very same argument given about Jack before this season?

The big difference for me personally, is that I've seen a lot of Jack, I know that he does a lot outstide of assisting and scoring he was 22 before the season started and has shown he can in the premier league, with some wonderful performances. 

I just haven't seen enough of Jota to judge, and seing that Birmingham fans don't seem that upset that he may be leaving, considering where they finished, makes me more worried

I see I'm coming of here as being totally against this signing, which I'm not, I trust Smith, but that does not mean I am not allowed to question transfers. He'll be 28 when the season starts, hasnt performed for 2 seasons, I just don't see him as a great signing. 

But £4m is good for a backup, as long as they don't sign him on a long-term contract, as our record with signing championship players is awful. 

27 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

or a goal or assist every 3 games - which you will probably find is higher than all of our midfielders when playing in the championship.....

The jump from championship to premier league is tremendously big, I am also worried for a lot of our players in the premier league. Look at Taarabt for instance. It worries me that he has played 4 years in the championship, yet no premier league club has signed him before, especially considering how cheap he is. (though if he is on 35k and will be on more for us, then he's not exactly cheap and feels like every poor signing we have made before Smith and co) 
Not to forget he did terribly for Eibar (in La Liga), Attacking flair players usually thrive in spain compared to the premier league

Edited by Chicken Field

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

how highly did you rate him at Brentford?, say compared to your current "best" players?

Prem capable you think or not?

He had 2 spells with us after returning to Spain for domestic problems where he hardly played.Got a hero’s welcome when he returned and gave me some wonderful memories with goals against Fulham and QPR.Have to remember he barely played more than 60:games for us over 3 seasons and as with these types of players there is no middle ground when their good they are superb but when their bad they are a liability.Left a bad taste with how he left but he was piss poor at the start of the season when he left.To answer your question Said Benrahma who we signed last season is a far better all round player than Jota and we will do well to keep hold of.Whether he will do well in the PL is debatable but obviously Dean feels he is capable he was dreadful everytime he played against us for City but no surprise as they never had decent players around him.He is far from a 1 trick pony dispite his predictable Left foot has to be one of the most skillfull and exciting players we have seen over the last 20 years.Could form an exciting partnership with  Grealish 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A player with bonito Carbone hair and a bit of flair and skill for Gary Gardner....Gary Gardner!!!! We are talking about 'the' Gary Gardner younger of the cabbage heads. It can't be true can it...it's like a transfer from Premier manager 98 ...if you don't know what that is then your obviously too young and spoilt with your football manager flashy graphics. 

19 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

He had 2 spells with us after returning to Spain for domestic problems where he hardly played.Got a hero’s welcome when he returned and gave me some wonderful memories with goals against Fulham and QPR.Have to remember he barely played more than 60:games for us over 3 seasons and as with these types of players there is no middle ground when their good they are superb but when their bad they are a liability.Left a bad taste with how he left but he was piss poor at the start of the season when he left.To answer your question Said Benrahma who we signed last season is a far better all round player than Jota and we will do well to keep hold of.Whether he will do well in the PL is debatable but obviously Dean feels he is capable he was dreadful everytime he played against us for City but no surprise as they never had decent players around him.He is far from a 1 trick pony dispite his predictable Left foot has to be one of the most skillfull and exciting players we have seen over the last 20 years.Could form an exciting partnership with  Grealish 

to be honest i have said more than once on this forum that we should go for Benrahma.......he's a silky little player :)

12 minutes ago, VlVA_LA_REVOLUTlON said:

A player with bonito Carbone hair and a bit of flair and skill for Gary Gardner....Gary Gardner!!!! We are talking about 'the' Gary Gardner younger of the cabbage heads. It can't be true can it...it's like a transfer from Premier manager 98 ...if you don't know what that is then your obviously too young and spoilt with your football manager flashy graphics. 

Sounds like a fishy deal to me.

• Haha 1

I'd be quite happy with him at that price, he's always stood out for me as an exciting player who make things happen, he's the kind of player I'd pay to watch. Can't be easy to be a footballer playing with those rugby players like Jutkiewicz and Kieftenbeld, so no worries for me if his form has dropped of late.

I love it that we go for these players with great movement and passing ability! Hard to see how we could invest £4M in a better way to get a player of his mould and quality.

• Like 1

Â