dont_do_it_doug.

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If this is true, then it's a very good purchase. 

I think he'll win any doubters over pretty quickly.  Very composed dude who can pick his spot from anywhere.

3 hours ago, Khizzy said:

Shrewd move - basically offloaded Gardner to them, got his wages off the bill and Adomah too, while replacing him with a trusted former player of the manager and someone who our Sporting Director knows well for a small fee. Wikipedia has him down as an attacking midfielder, so could potentially be cover not just at RW but also for Jack.

Interesting that we've gone for players that can potentially cover a variety of positions, like Mings can play LB and CB, same with Hause and if we are in for James Justin, he can play on either side as a full back.

Jota can play in any of the three positions behind the striker. I can see him, El Ghazi and a new winger being our three inter-changeable options for the wing (with Green probably going out on loan to the Championship).

He’s very one-footed, like a Spanish Stewart Downing. But I like him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Question is though is he better than adomah? I'm not so sure. The brentford one was but this one? Who knows 

The Brentford one had Smith managing him, and that makes all the difference.

It’s worth the money to see Gardner off....with the players we have released this is an instant improvement for not a lot in this market. He has torn us apart on occasions as many have mentioned, and I was jealous when blues singed him. 

Good start and I love that we doing business early. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

If this is true, then it's a very good purchase. 

Definitely, let’s hope he’s worth all the hype that was around him when he signed for the blues. They all had massive hard ons for him at the time.

8 minutes ago, Jimmyg said:

He has torn us apart on occasions as many have mentioned, and I was jealous when blues singed him. 

A lot of players have got burned going there. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Definitely, let’s hope he’s worth all the hype that was around him when he signed for the blues. They all had massive hard ons for him at the time.

8 pages so far and most of which seem to have a similar stiffy or at the least a semi lob on........

I'm still not over impressed. I guess it depends if he's going to first choice or a squad player. Squad player maybe, first choice erm !!!!

Only time will tell and will be more than happy to eat the old humble pie.

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Not sure im all up for this. Cheap enough, but not sure he’s a prem player . 

Smiffy'll turn him into one. 

Two players for every position. It has to be the rule. 

We are still light a winger. That's before we consider Green going on loan, which has an air of inevitability about it. 

El Ghazi and Jota is a start. Give me another of El Ghazi's quality and I'm happy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If he was a guaranteed prem player we wouldn't be getting him for a Gary gardner!

• Haha 2

The last five-ten years there's been an unnerving amount of highly rated and/or expensive players who turned to shit or semi-shit while being with AVFC, just to go on and play the best football of their careers with other teams.

Hopefully the opposite will happen with Jota in the hands of Dean, and that it's the start of a new and positive trend.

Jota, let's see you turn into a £20 mill player, despite your silly name!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

if he isnt, we lost a couple of million quid, nothing to lose.

If he does well, its a bargain.

No reason not to tbh, and it shows that the recruitment team are being intelligent, im sure we will sign other "expensive-ish" players in the midfield area and Jota will compete for a place in the first 11, i dont see any negatives to this deal, he either succeeds or he doesnt, and we havent wasted 25m on trying to find out.

I would call this an intelligent deal tbh.

Edited by MaVilla

For a player that has played chamtionship football, he does not have great stats. He's a birmingham player (let's face it, we all know the fans will turn on him if he does not perform quickly), he'll be 28 when the season starts with no previous premier league experience. Hasn't performed well for a few seasons. I am also worried with all the brentford/previous Brentford players we are being linked to, as Smith never even finished in the play-offs with them, nor have they been any better since he left. There is a huge gap between midtable championship and bottom premier league. I feel like offensive players usually struggle to jump from the championsip to the prem, except when they are extraordinarily talented

But, Smith defo deserves to be trusted after last season, he get's a player he knows well and £4m is not alot in todays market ! let's just make sure we don't sign him on more than a two year contract, so we aren't stuck with another overpaid 30+ year old in a few years. He's apparently on a 35k wage, which is pretty steep, would want to be paid more too if coming to the prem. 

Overall, doesnt fill me with confidence, doubt he is premier league standard, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, especially if signed as back-up. Though, I did think we were gonna be going for resale value when signing players, nearly feel like we could have kept Adomah (even though he has been poor for ages) instead. 

Edited by Chicken Field

Â