dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Question is though is he better than adomah? I'm not so sure. The brentford one was but this one? Who knows 

He's a lot better than adomah! We are basically swapping our worst player for Birminghams best, if he's going to be a squad player then it's actually a pretty decent move by Smith imo. 

• Like 1

With all the transfer talk of Lolley or Bowen for £15m, Jota for £2-3m plus Gardner is an absolute steal!

Don’t forget that the Jota of 2018 was as highly rated as Lolley and Bowen are right now.

Presumably, Smith and Suso know that Blues have misused him. Bluenoses at my work have said he’s often been played out of position for them.

• Like 2

Upgrade on Adomah on key position that we need to strengthen and a player that Dean has worked with before getting rid of a player we don't need for £4million? 

Sounds alright by me :) 

With Green and El Ghazi as our 2 wingers at the moment, would expect another on top of Jota, but I am more than content with this, if true, of course...

2 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

He's a lot better than adomah! We are basically swapping our worst player for Birminghams best, if he's going to be a squad player then it's actually a pretty decent move by Smith imo. 

Are they taking Richards off us too?

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I like everything about it. Decent player, no settling in needed, inexpensive ( getting rid of Gardner is a huge plus), known by Smith, knows how to play under Smith, did well under Smith.

Some of the less enthusiastic amongst us sound like they are making that old mistake of thinking it’s about what they’ve seen of the player, rather than how he makes us a better Team under this a Coach.....which is all that matters.

We don’t want bigger/ better/ more well known/higher FIFA 19 ( or whatever it is) players.

Been there, done it, wasted millions.

Im happy that every player Smith brings in will be as part of a thought out plan, nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly, it's a squad game. Jota adds something to the squad that we currently don't have. It's about giving Dean the squad that he requires not assembling a Fifa 20 ultimate team. How long have we been crying out for a greater that the sum of parts approach?!? 

• Like 3

He ripped up apart when he was at Brentford, hasn't done so well at small heath but when your playing with thugs mascerading as footballers like Craig Gardner, kieftenbeld, pederson to name a few, he was there diamond atop of a mound of shit.

Its important to remember that we will/may struggle after going back up, I'm not expecting £20million pound transfers throughout the team, Fulham spunked hundred million and finished second bottom, half an eye has to be on what happens if we do go back down, do we want another squad of multi million pound signings we won't be able to shift on Premier league wages? If Smith thinks jota can do a job for us in the Premier league i Trust he's judgement, he knows him better than most. 

It may not be exciting, but it's where we are as a club right now. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

• Like 2

The more I think about it the more baffling it is that he went to SHA in the first place, I mean other than the obvious reasons, he really just doesn't suit the way they play...

I'm beginning to be sold on him after reading some of your posts, it just sort of came from nowhere, but I can see the benefits and we do need to fill the squad.

Jota's WhoScored rating for the last season was around 7.0,similar to Mount and Wilson (who had good seasons). Bare in mind he was under utilised and played out of position with blues. Smith knows him well so I trust his judgement. Jota's highest score under Smith was 7.4 (same as Grealish this season) where he scored 11 goals. Better than some people give him credit for. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

Some good comments here overall.

I expect a lot more of these sort of signings. As it stands we are well short of squad depth. What happens if we buy 4 players for £25m each and they all get injured within 3 weeks of the season starting? We are screwed.

He is much cheaper than the likes of Joe Lolley who has just come off the back of an outstanding season. However both are about the same age and when you look at their whole of career stats Jota is much more impressive. Presumably Smith likes his character and he's undervalued at the moment. Then we can bring in another winger and have some competition. 

• Like 1

Â