dont_do_it_doug.

The more I look at this, the more I think this signing was lined up well before the play-off final. Makes much more sense in the context of another Championship season, or also with a view to the possibility of getting relegated. I don't see much evidence that this is a player who is going to be a regular starter in a top 10 PL club, but fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Can anyone else read this? The guy has got to stop speaking Spanish..

The only thing I could read wasn't even proper English. What's with the Americanised spelling of "honour"? I don't want this guy in the shirt.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brommy said:

You’ve gone on to say exactly why this deal shouldn’t be considered odd.

Being able to offer Premier League football at a much bigger club, comfortably match his wage, chance to work for a manager who plays attractive football and has previously got him playing well in an area he won’t have to resettle, means Villa will have called the shots on this deal. It’s likely Jota will have wanted a 3 or 4 year contract but will have known it wasn’t his call.

Even if he does well, Villa can offer him another couple of years and we are big enough to keep this level of player, so I wouldn’t be too worried about losing him.

If it doesn’t work out after a season or two we’re not saddled with a waste of wages. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Oh I agree with you, I meant odd as you never see a 2 year contract

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He was on 40k at SHA,so i reckon he will be on around 50k now. 

As the 40k was not confirmed and there’s every chance he would have moved to play in the PL without much of an increase in salary, there’s every chance he could have been on 25k or 30k and signed for a similar amount.

In any case it’s all just guesswork and somewhat irrelevant.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Disagree. If he’s just another who isn’t good enough for us what’s the point? 

Not that I am saying he isn’t good enough, I know very little about him, he’s done reasonably in the championship and Smith knows him so I hope he makes a good squad player at least.

Likewise, tongue in cheek, not sure how to do a tongue in cheek emoji.

I actually think it's a very astute signing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't know why people keep talking about Jota as if he was a flop at small heath, in terms of goals and assists when measured against minutes on the pitch he was very good for them, not only that but he was also involved in a lot of their goals without necessarily being the player who scored or got the assist, a bit like how Grealish is with us. I also disagree with those who say he's too predictable, yes he cuts inside on his left foot alot, but most footballers favor their stronger foot and are predictable in that sense, Bowen would be the same if we signed him, and Snodgrass was the same as well, Jota can mix things up because he's good at dribbling, running with the ball at pace and can also pick a pass, he's probably now our most technically gifted player outside of Grealish.

Yeah and a few more of these types of players and I'm sure Deano will be able to fully implement how he wants to play

For how good adomah, green, Hutton, Jedi, Whelan, Taylor etc etc were for us at times last season, they aren't Dean Smith players in the sense of being intricate/intelligent players.

I think once we have Grealish, jota and a few other similar type players we will see some lovely football.

Of course we won't win every game, but I have no doubt with all the the players we need to bring in, they will be to suit Deanos system and it should be attractive to watch.

How many years I have been waiting for attractive football and finally !!! :)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Â