dont_do_it_doug.

I’m just making the point that we are not starting from a position of strength as we had a thin squad that relied heavily on a few players some of which won’t be with us next season.  Forget the past, we wasted money on loads of french players and wasted money on Ross McCormack and Scott hogan when relegated but we are going to have to spend big just to stay up imo. We are not the same as wolves when they got promoted.

• Like 1

Would be happy with this as a shrewd bit of business.  A player known to DS and Suso and under their regime he will hopefully shine. Not to mention getting another non-featuring player off our books. I personally think he could be an important squad addition, and could make more appearances and have greater impact than people imagine.

Get it done Villa 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

This guy's one of the best in the championship, if the stories are true then I've no idea why we're getting him for as cheap as we are

Because he's on big wages and the dirt down the road cant afford him, we're actually doing them a favour getting him off their books. GG will be on a decent chunk from us also with a probable promotion bonus/pay rise in his contract. That being said I believe the extra couple million we are paying on top of the swap is mainly to pay GGs wage to stay at the magical Trillion Troll stadium.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I’m just making the point that we are not starting from a position of strength as we had a thin squad that relied heavily on a few players some of which won’t be with us next season.  Forget the past, we wasted money on loads of french players and wasted money on Ross McCormack and Scott hogan when relegated but we are going to have to spend big just to stay up imo. We are not the same as wolves when they got promoted.

indeed - its the mother of all rebuilds.

I remember in around 1979 when the great Ron Saunders undertook a big rebuilding job - I think one game we had six players making there home debuts  !- no transfer windows in them days though 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

indeed - its the mother of all rebuilds.

I remember in around 1979 when the great Ron Saunders undertook a big rebuilding job - I think one game we had six players making there home debuts  !- no transfer windows in them days though 

Big Ron did something similar in 91/92.

He built a great team with only a few poor signings (Paul Mortimer for one),although with some of the names he got in they were almost certain to succeed to be fair.

19 hours ago, Junxs said:

It's clear to me that he suits our system much more than that of blues. This could be a real bargain. 

I agree - I feel he could be a surprise package if it happens 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

Big Ron did something similar in 91/92.

He built a great team with only a few poor signings (Paul Mortimer for one),although with some of the names he got in they were almost certain to succeed to be fair.

Paul Mortimer now there's a name from the past. 

In fairness he was quite cultured - just plain moody and never seemed like he wanted to be here.

didnt he have a rant in front of the holte after scoring one time ??

12 hours ago, Thug said:

To be fair, I was underwhelmed with the signings of Mings, El Ghazi, McGinn and Hause... but they’ve done ok.

So I’m done with doubting our current management team.  For now.

I was underwhelmed when we signed Peter Withe all those years ago 😀

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Me too. Ex-blues, and went his first nine games without scoring. This won't work, I thought... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Indeed which is why I always said Bruce’s short term approach and the idea of three teams that Wyness peddled was madness.

We are miles behind Wolves in terms of our squad at this point in time compared to when they were promoted.

Depends on how many of the loan players we convince to sign, assuming we approach them all. I think if they all came back there’d be little in it between the two sides on paper.

I do appreciate that all of them coming back is unlikely.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes it was apparant listening to the football phone-ins at the time most Villa fans were, but he was a proven goal scorer at Forest and Newcastle so it was it was quite a safe buy. Just not very exciting at the time. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes it was apparant listening to the football phone-ins at the time most Villa fans were, but he was a proven goal scorer at Forest and Newcastle so it was it was quite a safe buy. Just not very exciting at the time. 

I love Cloughie’s quip that he didn’t regret selling Peter Withe but he did regret not buying him back!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Depends on how many of the loan players we convince to sign, assuming we approach them all. I think if they all came back there’d be little in it between the two sides on paper.

I do appreciate that all of them coming back is unlikely.

Unlikely and even then I still think their side was better.

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It was but we still thumped them 4-1 under Bruce with a weaker squad in my eyes

Don’t mean to pick on you mate but this kind of post is ridiculous.  Palace, Leicester and Newcastle all beat City last season. Does that mean they are just as good or not that far behind.

The 4-1 was a great day and result but it was a one off where we were just clinical on the day and they wernt. We wanted it more. It was no way an indication that our team was anywhere near as good as theres.  The final table points was proof of that. 

They had Premier league players in a championship team and then once promoted were able to make them permanent signings They then even added more quality players to them.  The championship players with question marks around them were able to step up. Namely the defence. 

We’re nowhere near them at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Me too. Ex-blues, and went his first nine games without scoring. This won't work, I thought... 

£500k for a slow cart horse were  my first thoughts. Ex - dingle even worse for me.

• Like 1

There are two types of deal...

1. Club needs to offload player (unhappy, finances, prior contractual agreement). These tend to be straightforward, so get done quickly. The likes of Mings, El Ghazi, Hause, Jota and Etheridge fall into this bracket. 

2. Club reluctant to sell one of their key players. This is the merry-go-round signing. Negotiations are more complex and protracted while the two clubs play cat and mouse. It also takes time to line up a suitable replacement and often means getting a key player from another club (even more time negotiating etc). 

For the reasons above, I wouldn't expect any of the second type (possible marquee signing) until much later in the window. Everyone needs to be a bit more patient and stop slating every link just because it isn't a £50m wizkid from Barcelona! 

Edited by Made In Aston

Â