dont_do_it_doug.

36 minutes ago, Nigel said:

He looks like quite a clever player, more like snoddy, which is good with me!

After watching lots of these clips I think he’s very like Snodgrass. More than I realised in his Brentford/Blues days...

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Little bit underwhelmed with this signing to be honest. Hope we set our sights a bit higher with future signings.

To be fair, I was underwhelmed with the signings of Mings, El Ghazi, McGinn and Hause... but they’ve done ok.

So I’m done with doubting our current management team.  For now.

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Little bit underwhelmed with this signing to be honest. Hope we set our sights a bit higher with future signings.

What if you look at it like we've replaced Thor with Jota in the Squad? This isn't a major signing I would suggest. But a useful one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

What if you look at it like we've replaced Thor with Jota in the Squad? This isn't a major signing I would suggest. But a useful one.

The person we're literally replacing is Gardner, our 6th or 7th choice central midfielder. Jota will obviously get more minutes and be of more benefit than Gardner would have been, so it can only possibly be a bad signing if the money spent ends up being the difference between getting or not getting a better player later in the window. That seems unlikely, as it isn't a lot of money, but you never know. Otherwise it's pretty much a free hit. 

• Like 1

Ok but we are an Premier League club now not a championship one So we need to make one or 2 marquee signings. I except we have ti spend wisely but at this moment I would say we have grealish, mings if we sign him who are good enough, Mginn should be ok but is unproven at that level. 

The bigger money, imo, has to be spent on CBs and CDM. A good CDM makes all the difference in the Premier League. We have to start the season with a solid back 4. We could easily spend £60-70m just sorting out a pair of CBs and a good CDM. 

28 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Ok but we are an Premier League club now not a championship one So we need to make one or 2 marquee signings. I except we have ti spend wisely but at this moment I would say we have grealish, mings if we sign him who are good enough, Mginn should be ok but is unproven at that level. 

We have like the entire rest of the window to do that. Signing Jota for 4m doesn't mean we're not making a marquee signing.

• Like 2

It's a very shrewd signing imo, he's a clever player that can unlock defences, something we'll need in the Premier League. Smith knows him well and Jota played his best football under Smith. I really don't' see the issue with this signing as it clearly adds to what we've already got.

• Like 1

I think he'd be a good squad player- not every player we sign can be for big money and this is one the the manager knows well. If he gets his form back  of 2 years ago it could be a bargain

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Ok but we are an Premier League club now not a championship one So we need to make one or 2 marquee signings.

It's the 4th of June.

Us signing one squad filler for peanuts doesn't mean we won't be signing anyone else.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's the 4th of June.

Us signing one squad filler for peanuts doesn't mean we won't be signing anyone else.

You forget how the modern football fan's brain works... ignore all previous (sometimes very recent) struggles ---> presume club should be in for Neves, cos we're a big club, innit.

• Like 1

This guy's one of the best in the championship, if the stories are true then I've no idea why we're getting him for as cheap as we are, but I think people might be in for a shock if they think that he's being brought in simply to replace the likes of Bjarnason and Gardner in the squad, if we sign two other wingers and they happen to be Lolley and El Ghazi as rumoured, then Jota will be getting plenty of game time, he's a very good player. If we'd have had him last season, we wouldn't have missed Grealish as much as we did when he was out injured.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

We have just been promoted and yet we currently have no strikers and no central defenders. It will take time to integrate these new players into the team so that we can hit the ground running at the start of the season. Losing the first 10 games whilst the squad gets to know each other is not an option. This player will fit into the DS way of playing as he has done it before. For a very small outlay this is a very clever signing that will allow us to concentrate on other areas of the pitch

• Like 1

Â