dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Is Jota not an attacking midfielder? Admittedly I haven't really seen him play for Blues but at Brentford he seemed to do most of his good work in behind the striker. I definitely wouldn't call him a wide player. If he's a winger he's much more like Grealish was when we played him wide left (i.e. constantly looking to come in off his wing) from what I've seen.

Very much a wide player. Bias to the right side but at Brentford he switched it up a fair bit. Likes to cut inside (what winger doesn't) so might appear to be playing behind the main striker but definitely much more of a winger than an attacking mid. I was lucky enough to be STH at Brentford for most of his time there (divided loyalties). The kind of player that makes you love football all over again when he's on form.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I'll definitely not be happy with 17th plus .....

I can live with 17th plus .... but I'll be happy with 7th.

I'll be celebrating 17th like i celebrated last week. Staying up is all we need to do next year and if we do it i'll be over the moon. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Very much a wide player. Bias to the right side but at Brentford he switched it up a fair bit. Likes to cut inside (what winger doesn't) so might appear to be playing behind the main striker but definitely much more of a winger than an attacking mid. I was lucky enough to be STH at Brentford for most of his time there (divided loyalties). The kind of player that makes you love football all over again when he's on form.

Fair enough. You’ve seen a lot more of him than I have. I suppose from watching the odd game and highlights he probably affects the game more once he’s drifted inside so he comes across as more central than he is (if that makes sense). 

Could he play wide left then in your opinion or is he likely to be purely played from the right? 

• Like 1

Jota is a player I have always liked so I am happy with this link. The best player at blues by a mile, I was delighted whenever he missed the derby games. Badly mismanaged by Blues I think who have prioritised physicality over finesse. 

I agree with those who think this signing is cover for Grealish. Very similar players in my opinion, both seem to effortlessly float around the midfield with the ball. Regardless of where Jota has played in the past I think we will be coached by Smith to play a similar role to Grealish through the middle. Not an out and out winger for me as he lacks the blistering pace and physicality that a winger needs to beat a man down the line. Only downside for me is he seems a bit lightweight and not really one for a scrap if the game is getting a bit tasty. Maybe leave him on the bench against the likes of Burnley.

37 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Could he play wide left then in your opinion or is he likely to be purely played from the right? 

Can be effective from both wings. Can cross, can cut inside and can appear out of nowhere through the middle too. I’m sure Deano will have a plan for him if he signs though. 

• Like 1

I feel he's an option a bit different to El Ghazi, who is a bit more direct and classic winger. I think Jota will be encouraged to cut inside a bit more, when we're better suited to play narrower. Options are never a bad thing. It's like Pep weighing up between Leroy Sane or David Silva... only, a little bit further down the ladder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'll be celebrating 17th like i celebrated last week. Staying up is all we need to do next year and if we do it i'll be over the moon. 

That means we'd be losing week in week out. I know I wouldn't enjoy that. 

Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date - are we really in talks to swap Gardner for Jota?  Now I have no real dislike of Gardner, but this would represent good business for me.

i have rated Jota for a long time and I feel he will get more game time - than some might think.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date - are we really in talks to swap Gardner for Jota?  

No, it's just 21 pages comparing him to Carles Gil .

35 minutes ago, av1 said:

No, it's just 21 pages comparing him to Carles Gil .

They’re both Spanish you know?

edit: wtf Carlos Gil now plays in the US at 26. Thought he was better than that.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They’re both Spanish you know?

edit: wtf Carlos Gil now plays in the US at 26. Thought he was better than that.

Woah careful now, otherwise @Michael118 will be back to the thread agreeing with you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I think that video highlights why he's been so poor the last couple of seasons, Blues are **** awful.

Compare the movement between the Brentford players at the start with the Blues players, and it's like Blues are in a division below. They're mostly just standing around watching Jota make runs and when some of the Blues players do actually make runs, they just stop for no reason as Jota passes through to them. Not to mention the number of chances their strikers skied when the ball was put on a plate for them. The Brentford players make runs that free space for themselves and others, the Blues players just let Jota get crowded by 2-3 players.

I think Jota could be a very astute signing in Smith's system.

looking at the vid, if SHA had players who could finish he would have twice the assists, he layed it on a plate multiple times.

Looks a tad one footed, but looks like a good signing for 4m + GG, assuming it does go through.

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

looking at the vid, if SHA had players who could finish he would have twice the assists, he layed it on a plate multiple times.

Looks a tad one footed, but looks like a good signing for 4m + GG, assuming it does go through.

I've been meaning to mention this. Poor finishing from the chances he created

Â