dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Purslow and Smith both highlighted John McGinn as the kind of signing we want to make - that is character, attitude and talent.

One would assume that Dean knows all about Jota from their time together, so this makes sense to me. We have a lot of places to fill in the squad, and Smith said he would be taking some time off before work begins again in earnest, so I imagine this has been lined-up for a while, irrespective of which division we ended up in, and may not be fully indicative of our main Premier League recruitment strategy.

Any Brentford supporter will tell you, his character is not in question. He was loved by the staff at Brentford because he was such a positive player. 

When he went to Eibar, rather than try and engineer a move, he went to the club, was up front and honest about the situation and signed a contract extension with Brentford to protect their investment. His actions at that time were about as far from “mercenary footballer” as it’s possible to be. 

• Like 1

As i said earlier, not one person (maybe @sir_gary_cahill aside) would have been upset to simply pay up Gardners contract, so we are effectively getting Jota for £1/2m. 

It could be a very shrewd bit of business. 

16 hours ago, VlVA_LA_REVOLUTlON said:

A player with bonito Carbone hair and a bit of flair and skill for Gary Gardner....Gary Gardner!!!! We are talking about 'the' Gary Gardner younger of the cabbage heads. It can't be true can it...it's like a transfer from Premier manager 98 ...if you don't know what that is then your obviously too young and spoilt with your football manager flashy graphics. 

15 hours ago, sne said:

Sounds like a fishy deal to me.

However, as a number of posters have pointed out already in this thread, if anyone can get a tuna out of him it's Dean.

• Like 1

Just now, av1 said:

As i said earlier, not one person (maybe @sir_gary_cahill aside) would have been upset to simply pay up Gardners contract, so we are effectively getting Jota for £1/2m. 

It could be a very shrewd bit of business. 

Yes, only me, you are correct though, it is a great piece of business, what do you expect with our manager? Has he ever been involved in a poor deal? I don’t think he has at any club

12 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Yes, only me, you are correct though, it is a great piece of business, what do you expect with our manager? Has he ever been involved in a poor deal? I don’t think he has at any club

That Carroll fella we signed on loan was an odd one. 

Edited by jim

2 minutes ago, jim said:

That Carroll fella we signed on loan was an odd one. 

Not really, the only issue was that he got injured again while at Villa, if he was fit he would likely have stood in for Grealish while he was injured.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Who was the last player we signed directly from the noses. 

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

Alan Curbishley 1983 .....remember it well

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

No one since then, wow. Couple gone the other way though I suppose.

I thought it was Malcolm Beard in 71/72?

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You disagree? Care to share why?

Were you being serious?

Jota is a decent player, I really wanted us to get him when he was at Brentford and thought the Noses had got themselves a brilliant deal when the picked him up. Has done well with them them in the Championship, especially considering they are **** shite, and I'm sure Smith will get him back to his best.

Diogo Jota is one of the most exciting young players around; Took the Premier League step up in his stride, vital in them getting into Europa and I'm sure will have a host of champions league clubs monitoring him very closely.

Jota is a decent tricky player, but a bit lightweight.

He is not however a £40,000 per week first team player for an ambitious Premier league team imo. A squad player maybe, but no better than that.

I hope we will play a high pressing game next season and for that reason I would like to see us sign a quicker more physical right winger.

However, if Smith thinks he's right for us (having worked briefly with him at Brentford) then Jota must have a lot more to his game than I've seen so far.

Â