dont_do_it_doug.

I know they have signed players from us but who was the last player we signed directly from them?

I know Sutton played both but he was out of contract when we signed him

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I know they have signed players from us but who was the last player we signed directly from them?

Well, not a player but...

Alex Mcleash. 🙃

It's a 'boring' squad management signing. 

We had, and still have, a large collection of expensive central midfielders, several of whom aren't going to play in the PL for one reason or another. Gardner was somewhere between 6th and 8th choice in his only position, ie a pure passenger. For somewhere between £2-£4m we may well replace him with a guy who will probably be our 3rd or 4th choice winger. He knows the manager, who got  a tune out of him before, and so it makes sense on paper. The bigger question is whether he helps us win any actual football matches next season. 

It's not a bad deal for SHA either, who get rid of a wantaway player for a guy who seems weirdly at home there and a couple of mil in their near-empty bank account. Their challenge is going to be finding someone who can give them more than half a dozen assists to replace him. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That's correct, Sutton's last club was Birmingham Shitty, he was released and we signed him as a free agent in the 06/07 season so he correctly doesn't count.

Was it Malcolm Beard in the season of 71/72?

I doubt the transfer fee would have been anything more than a few pints of milk and a thank you.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Compared to our squads attacking stats 1.6 shots per game is 6th and 2.1 key passes is 2nd only to Grealish. At the price seems like great numbers for RW where we have no one decent atm

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

For anybody that didn’t click the link a few pages back to the SHA forum. I had a little look around and they’re more or less united in their disbelief at this deal. Most of them seem to like Gardner, but think they’re being screwed with this deal, even with the money attached. At that price, and getting rid of Gardner I think it’s a no brainer. I’ve watched him play a few times and he seems like he knows what he’s doing, he just didn’t have the players around him to do it, he certainly has an eye for a pass. Either way we need squad players, and at that price we can’t turn it down, especially since he shouldn’t need much blooding as he knows Dean’s system already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

9 pages and not a single pun about his name, Jota thread out!

There was a nice  'I couldn't give an iota' a few pages back but the jury is out on whether it was intended. Update to follow

Edited by VlVA_LA_REVOLUTlON
Typo

57 minutes ago, Jareth said:

You've jota wrong end of the stick 

For this player to really blossom, I think he needs a whole jota love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Imagine working full time for years in football management/coaching and being demonstrably good at your job. Imagine having inside knowledge of your football club - the squad strengths, weaknesses and depth for every position. Imagine having massively detailed knowledge on a player(s) and strongly believing a player(s) will or won’t fill a weakness and strengthen the playing squad. Imagine having the inside knowledge on how much a player(s) fee and contract will cost the club and being able to use that exact knowledge when weighing up other arrivals and departures at your club. Imagine having your club’s very best interest near the very centre of your world, both professionally and personally.

I could look at transfers the way I’d look at two chemical elements about to be combined. My knowledge extends to A level Chemistry but I’d trust a doctor of Chemistry’s judgement ahead of my own judgement on whether the result is likely to fizz nicely, do nothing of note or blow up in our faces.

For the Premier League season ahead at least, should we trust all that experience, inside knowledge and recent performance success at Villa, or go with our own limited knowledge gathered from part time study of what can never be the complete picture? Hmmm...

• Like 3

I actually thought there was going to be a really big meltdown about me 'coming back', with loads of people saying how great it is that I'm back, the reason I waited until promotion is because I wanted to add to the ecstasy of the occassion. But I'm glad there wasn't as I find the compliments quite overwhelming, just like in real life.

• Like 2

I think it’s a very shrewd signing by us, yes, Jota hasn’t played in The Premier League before but he was comfortably Brentford’s and Birmingham City’s best player when he played for them. Jota is very technically gifted and easy on the eye, he was like a fish out of water at Birmingham City, I’m convinced he’ll be a key player for us. Smith, O’Kelly and Pittarch have a clear plan and are executing it accordingly 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, brommy said:

Imagine working full time for years in football management/coaching and being demonstrably good at your job. Imagine having inside knowledge of your football club - the squad strengths, weaknesses and depth for every position. Imagine having massively detailed knowledge on a player(s) and strongly believing a player(s) will or won’t fill a weakness and strengthen the playing squad. Imagine having the inside knowledge on how much a player(s) fee and contract will cost the club and being able to use that exact knowledge when weighing up other arrivals and departures at your club. Imagine having your club’s very best interest near the very centre of your world, both professionally and personally.

Is this your attempt at a John Lennon song? 😭😭

• Haha 3

Â