dont_do_it_doug.

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I missed cup game only saw the highlights. Seemed to be slated on here but the way he unlocked defence for goal was quality

Yeah agreed, would like to see him and grealish in the two AM slots behind a striker in the 3421 we played against Burnley.

• Like 3

It does surprise me some of the reaction on here.

"he's slow isn't he?! 😮 " - like it's a sudden surprise and he used to be rapid :lol:  

He's always been slow, he's always shown good technical attributes and he got a great assist on Saturday.  

He's good if we get people around him because of his awareness and passing ability.  The issue is that we don't really play to his strengths.  In a more compact side, he'd look better, but we stretch the game and turn it into a series on 1v1s. 

He's a good squad player and is something a bit different.  I agree wholeheartedly that he should be tried in the middle CAM role, if he has shown any desire to.  Some players stick to what they know. 

• Like 4

I don't think he's good enough at this level, he's got skills but doesnt have speed to catch upto his skills or its his mind that doesnt work as quickly as his feet or vica versa.

Simply for what we paid it wasn't much of a gamble, hopefully he will develop but we don't have time for that now.

Plug and play straight up working is what we need and I'm afraid we have to many players going through something and not living football to the maximum.

52 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I don't think he's good enough at this level, he's got skills but doesnt have speed to catch upto his skills or its his mind that doesnt work as quickly as his feet or vica versa.

Simply for what we paid it wasn't much of a gamble, hopefully he will develop but we don't have time for that now.

Plug and play straight up working is what we need and I'm afraid we have to many players going through something and not living football to the maximum.

It wasn't much of a gamble - but it was £4m on a player who probably wouldn't cut it at PL level 

If he chimes in this season with a few goals or assists, then he was worth it. His contribution against Everton imo already justified his purchase. He is a veteran player with really good vision. If we play a team that will bunker against us, he is a fantastic option. That is why he has been so good in the cup. 

• Like 1

He's the type of player who flourishes in a team that's dominating a game. A team under the cosh and he'll struggle...may have one or two moments in games like that. Think Ozil of Madrid VS Ozil of Arsenal.

I used to think Grealish was gonna be a bit like this but he's proved me completely wrong.

Edited by Tom13

• 4 weeks later...

Had to dig around on page 3 to find this thread.

Seems he may be heading out on loan for the rest of the season.  Not really worked out for him here, but it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  He's always looked way too slow for the Premier League.

Aston Villa midfielder Jota is in talks over a move to Fulham.

The 28-year old Spaniard only joined Villa in the summer from Birmingham City but has struggled to make an impression in the top flight making just 12 appearances and scoring once against Brighton in the Carabao Cup.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7942945/Aston-Villa-prepare-offloading-Jota-loan-Fulham.html

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Dunno why we ever brought him £4m on a player that was always unlikely to cut it at this level.

Squad player. Cheap. Rotation. Cup option. A way to get rid of Gary Gardner.

There's lots of reasons.

Hause was another one in the cheap/squaddie bracket for even less money. Sometimes they impress you and get better, other times they don't.

To be fair to Jota, he'd been carrying a hernia injury for a long while, so we've probably still not seen the best of him in a Villa shirt, but with the new formation change, there's only room for one of Jota/ El Ghazi/ Trez in the team at one time, and El Ghazi and Trez are currently ahead of him.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I actually think he could play at this level. But not as a wide player.

Jota is a 10 i think

Agree with this.

Hes more of a between the lines AM for me, not a wide player at this level.

If he had pace, or was a bit stronger, he'd not be with us. But the way we play we need him to be quicker, or a bit stronger.

A shame as he's got talent and vision. But he's just not got the athletic skills to go with it and make it at the absolute top level.

Â