dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He is a proper baller isn't he? Looks like Grealish like to play with him, they seem to connect well. A bit like Gil but tactically aware, makes the defensive work and takes the right decisions. What a bargain he seems to be!

Made a fantastic pass to Guilbert who ran on the overlap at one stage. The pace and weight of it, top class. Ok its Shrewsbury and pre season but still..looks very good.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Made a fantastic pass to Guilbert who ran on the overlap at one stage. The pace and weight of it, top class. Ok its Shrewsbury and pre season but still..looks very good.

Yes! It was that pass that made me think wow he really has it. It's the passes almost only Jack makes for us. 

28 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He has that special ability to unlock defences and could be a revelation with the likes of Grealish and McGinn - could well be a key player for us this season 

I can see it now - Grealish and Jota work together to pick the lock, and if that fails, McGinn just runs straight through it like the Kool Aid man.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Can see why smith and o'kelly rate him. 

Monk must be shit to not get anything out of him. 

Monk got Birmingham’s player of the season out of him. It was his first year there he was crap. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Can see why smith and o'kelly rate him. 

Monk must be shit to not get anything out of him. 

He is far to classy for those half breeds down the road. The thugs with there beach ball chains only like grafters, you know what those "proper brummies"  are like. pondlife the lot of them

• Like 2

When we signed Jota, Smith said "I think he is a Premier league quality player, I am surprised nobody else came in for him."

I thought Dean Smith was being nice. Now I think he was just being honest.  He really does look a very good player. Impressed he held onto his skills after playing under Monk and in a team of hoofball merchants.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

Very good, but PAINFULLY one footed.  A chance dropped out the sky on his right foot yesterday, and he attempted to get onto the end of it with his left.  It was going VERY wide, but deflected back towards goal and was cleared off the line.  

It's nice to have McGinn, Jota and Jack on the pitch, you could see they're looking forward to short corners :lol:  

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Very good, but PAINFULLY one footed.  A chance dropped out the sky on his right foot yesterday, and he attempted to get onto the end of it with his left.  It was going VERY wide, but deflected back towards goal and was cleared off the line.  

It's nice to have McGinn, Jota and Jack on the pitch, you could see they're looking forward to short corners :lol:  

If we have a few 6ft 2 to 6ft 5 players in The starting 11 and we start doing those bloody short corners again I'm gonna....

mad oh my god GIF by Videoland TV Ltd.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

If we have a few 6ft 2 to 6ft 5 players in The starting 11 and we start doing those bloody short corners again I'm gonna....

mad oh my god GIF by Videoland TV Ltd.

Did you know that direct corners on average only result in a goal approximately 3% of the time? 

Short corners merely change the angle, or present a different opportunity. Unless you can demonstrate that short corners are less successful than a 3% goal ratio I would defer to the experts. 

ibfIE.png

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Did you know that direct corners on average only result in a goal approximately 3% of the time? 

Short corners merely change the angle, or present a different opportunity. Unless you can demonstrate that short corners are less successful than a 3% goal ratio I would defer to the experts. 

ibfIE.png

statistics are great in a myriad of scenarios, but when you watch numerous games from last season and they just kept taking short corners and losing the ball or not even getting it in the box numerous times, statistics just dont cover it, i mean.....there was one game i saw where they had about 5 corners and at least 4 of those were short and they never even got the ball in the box before losing it.......

]you may not score from many corners, but you have a 100% less chance of scoring when its taken short and you dont even end up getting the ball in to the box.....

granted, a "good" short corner would be fine.......but we had a big spate of terrible terrible short corners.

if we do them better.....then fine.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

statistics are great in a myriad of scenarios, but when you watch numerous games from last season and they just kept taking short corners and losing the ball or not even getting it in the box numerous times, statistics just dont cover it, i mean.....there was one game i saw where they had about 5 corners and at least 4 of those were short and they never even got the ball in the box before losing it.......

]you may not score from many corners, but you have a 100% less chance of scoring when its taken short and you dont even end up getting the ball in to the box.....

granted, a "good" short corner would be fine.......but we had a big spate of terrible terrible short corners.

if we do them better.....then fine.

Obviously that's no good, but we have to assume they have ran the numbers on this and decided they were statistically more likely to score from open play than by pumping the ball in the box. Was this against the Albion by any chance? In which case they were probably right. We were completely dominated aerially in those games. 

They more likely work on this stuff in training and allow the players to make a decision, or the coaching staff make the decision ad hoc based on the flow of the game. This is an interesting read on the subject 👇

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/10/short-corners-may-be-widely-despised-but-they-are-helping-teams/

Liverpool have taken 36 per cent of their corners short this season – a higher proportion than any other Premier League side – and they have scored the most set-piece goals, with eight.

Of course, corners and crosses do give some chance of a goal, and it would be ridiculous to suggest they should be written off completely, but it is interesting nonetheless that teams have decided to innovate the conventional corner kick. Next time your team decides to take one short, perhaps think twice before throwing your arms up in exasperation.

Â