The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

Thats what i thought as well,they had problems getting a balanced team together i heard at such short notice..mostly u23s played with a few squad players mixed in...we were beaten 2-1 as well

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Not sure how true this is but i hear our starting eleven got kicked all over the pitch today against kuwaiti national team

They played very dirty and one contact at the club said that wesley was injured..not sure if thats accurate i bloody hope not..

kuwaitis wont be welcomed back in a hurry..we were doing them a favour after their friendly against qpr fell through

It was reserves mainly with a few first teamers according to the guardian. Will try and find the link

Jeez. How is this team gonna work?! 

Part of me thinks we are only getting Luiz for the season...so we are bringing Nakamba in as preparation...? Signing both, is a bit odd to me. 

I’m literally at a loss with the team at the moment... I have no idea on how to piece it together. A little part of me wants us to stop signing new players! 

Edited by Tayls
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Part of me thinks we are only getting Luiz for the season...so we are bringing Nakamba in as preparation...? Signing both, is a bit odd to me. 

I’m literally at a loss with the team at the moment... I have no idea on to piece it together. A little part of me wants us to stop signing new players! 

Last season we lost one player and our season fell apart.  I think the club are trying to make sure that never happens again.

• Like 1

We can easily have the double pivot with Nakamba and Luiz holding and Grealish or Jota in the free role. The FB’s then have to join in alot more. More players = more options.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Thats what i thought as well,they had problems getting a balanced team together i heard at such short notice..mostly u23s played with a few squad players mixed in...we were beaten 2-1 as well

Not disputing your source but there is no way we’d would play first teamers twice in 24hrs. Tha5 would be idiotic and stupid

Grealish will be used on the wing occasionally this season.

Against better opposition in away games I can see it being a midfield three of Nakamba, Douglas and McGinn.

Grealish and El Ghazi would interchange on both sides of the pitch. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Against better opposition in away games I can see it being a midfield three of Nakamba, Douglas and McGinn.

He could do it, but he won't. Our best player at keeping the ball will start every match in the middle.

I can see us maybe finishing a few games with that midfield.

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He drifts out there anyway. Last season he was spending a lot of time working down the left with El Ghazi, during pre-season he has been building a partnership with Jota.

His ability to work both channels will be an asset we will undoubtedly utilise. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Villarocker said:

If we sign another keeper plus Nakamba that will make us up to a 31 man squad if O'Hare is included. 

I think they need to loan out or sell Kalinic, loan out Bree, loan out O'Hare, loan out Hepburn-Murphy, sell Bjarnason & either sell/loan out Hogan or loan out Davis. 

What a very decent squad with depth of quality we will be left with then. 

It’s 25 at present by my count, adding the 2 you’ve said will make 27.

Luiz, Green, O Hare, Davis, Suliman, Doyle- Hayes and RHM are Under 21......born after 1/1/98...🙂

Two to go from the 27 ?....Tishbola, and a keeper, ( if as you say one comes in).

Of course they may let more go, don’t have to have 25.

Edited by terrytini
Changed 26 to 27..now to 25 lol

15 hours ago, Tayls said:

I’m literally at a loss with the team at the moment... I have no idea on how to piece it together. A little part of me wants us to stop signing new players! 

I think it is the oppposite. Luiz is still learning whereas Nakamba is an experienced CL player. Nakamba may play a part as Luiz develops with us. I could be wrong obviously and I also think Nakamba is a very good backup to McGinn. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It’s 27 at present by my count, adding the 2 you’ve said will make 29.

O Hare, Davis, Suliman, Doyle- Hayes and RHM are Under 21......born after 1/1/98...🙂

Four to go from the 29 ?....Tishbola, a keeper, ( if as you say one comes in), and 2 from Hogan, Lansbury, Birkir, Green, And Bree.

Luiz and Green were born in '98 too. I don't think they need to be registered in the 25 this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

It’s 25 at present by my count, adding the 2 you’ve said will make 27.

Luiz, Green, O Hare, Davis, Suliman, Doyle- Hayes and RHM are Under 21......born after 1/1/98...🙂

Two to go from the 27 ?....Tishbola, and a keeper, ( if as you say one comes in).

Steer, Chester, Taylor, Bree, Lansbury, Tshibola, Grealish, Hourihane, Mings, Hause, Targett, Konsa and Hogan take the 'Home-grown' quota to 13 as it stands then (8 is the minimum)

Kalinic, Nyland, Elmo, Guilbert, Jota, McGinn, BB, El Ghazi, Wesley, Engels, Trezeguet, and Kodjia are not 'Home-grown' and that makes 12 of them. Marvelous would take that to 13. (17 being the maximum)

Tshibola is basically there as a technicality at this point imo but if we're buying a keeper or a striker (older than 21) or we have enough in the bank for anything else, we're already at the stage where we need a few people out the door.

Tshibola, Hogan, Bree the obvious names from the first lot but Chester could also go without messing with the quotas. I suppose we've been linked to some homegrown keepers too so we may yet add to the ranks there.

From the 'foreign' list Kalinic and BB look the most likely to leave to me. Both the wrong side of 30 (and assuming we bring a new keeper in) neither likely to see much game time if everyone is fit. Nyland too but I think he'll be 3rd choice coming back from injury and all that.

• Like 1

I just look at that squad list and think it's been put together by people who have a way of playing and understanding football.

There's a plan A (433), a plan B (4231), and probably a plan C in there (352) for me. There's also another couple I can't see.

There's a core of players who appear to be 'good guys', and a low average age, meaning the value of the squad should go up. 

I can see a few players who might move on in a year or 2 for more than we paid for them, whilst we improve the team without the same massive outlay as this summer.

Feels weird, this new Aston Villa!

• Thanks 1

Yes...If Marvellous joins weve these 2 teams

Steer, Gilbert, Targett, Engels, Mings, Jack, McGinn, Luiz, Jota, El Ghazi, Wesley

Kalinic, Elmo, Taylor, Konsa, Hause, Marvellous, Trézéguet, Hourihane, Birkir/Lansbury, Green, Kodja

With Chester, Bree, And the youngsters.

You know, that ain’t half bad !

Makes perfect sense to me, in the majority of games we will line up:

Luiz

McGinn  Grealish

If we are up against it, and the back line is under pressure we now have the option to play.

Luiz    Nakamba

Grealish

With injuries and bookings:

Luiz - Nakamba

McGinn - Hourihane or Lansbury

Grealish - Hourihane or Lansbury or Jota

No professional football team should be restricted on how they play with one injury.

Last season we saw it multiple times where Grealish had no backup, Taylor had no backup, we had one fit centre back. The club are simply ensuring that we are never in this situation again.

In terms of being a selling club, I don't think that's the route we will go down. However if a club bids a silly amount of money, we now have the option to accept and rebuild that position with a backup ready to go. The only player I currently wouldn't sell for any amount is Grealish.

• Like 1

Â