The Squad 2019/2020

omariqy

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but it's slightly misleading because Mings, Hause and El Ghazi were effectively here last season anyway.

Swings and roundabouts though. Gardner and De Laet were out on loan for the whole season. Elphick and McCormack were out for parts of the season as well. 

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But they were not our players though so I'd say it's a accurate assumption as all those were players despite playing very little permanent players at the club.

It's accurate.

I'm just saying it's slightly misleading because we effectively lost 3 more players from the squad last season, and 3 of the players we've signed this season have just been those players re-signing.

So whereas that graphic shows 10 out and 9 in, effectively it's 13 out and 9 in (or 10 out and 6 in)

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

On paper this looks a lot stronger than last year.

20190724_132344.jpg

Our commercial deals are really pulling out all the stops.

When did skybet start sponsoring Smith's Douglas?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think crucially now, the squad looks better than the last squad we had that survived in the prem, with an improvement in recruitment, youth back up and coaching staff too. Nothing really to be negative about now. 

On 15/07/2019 at 11:15, omariqy said:

Updated squad assuming the three deals mooted to complete this week happen. GK and another striker needed for me. Maybe another CM if Thor, Lansbury and Tshibola leave.

GK

Steer, Kalinic, Nyland

RB

Guilbert, Elmo, Bree

LB

Targett, Taylor

CB

Mings, Konsa, Engels, Chester, Hause

RM

Jota, Trezeguet

LM

El Ghazi, Green

CM

Luiz, Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, Thor, Lansbury, Tshibola

CF

Wesley, Kodjia, Davis, RHM, Hogan

GK

Steer, Kalinic, Nyland

RB

Guilbert, Elmo, Bree

LB

Targett, Taylor

CB

Mings, Konsa, Engels, Chester, Hause

RM

Jota, Trezeguet

LM

El Ghazi, Green

CM

Luiz, Nakamba, Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, Thor, Lansbury

CF

Wesley, Kodjia, Davis, RHM, Hogan

That is 26 players now so guessing RHM and Bree will go out on loan, Hogan Kalinic and Thor will probably leave.

Hope the club have remembered there's a 25 man squad rule!

This is exactly what I was talking about when debating with those that wanted Glen Whelan to stay, would you rather have him over Douglas or Marvelous?

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

With regards to any fears we have too much to do in terms of bringing the squad together on the pitch, squad unity or "doing a Fulham" as it has become known:

• Mings - at Villa last season
  • Hause - at Villa last season
  • El Ghazi - at Villa last season
  • Jota - worked with Smith at Brentford
  • Konsa - worked with Smith at Brentford
  • Targett - worked with Grealish at England U21 level
  • Wesley - worked with Engels and Nakamba at Club Brugge
  • Engels - worked with Wesley and Nakamba at club Brugge
  • Nakamba - worked with Wesley and Engels at Club Brugge
  • Trezeguet - worked with Elmo at Egypt

That leaves Guilbert and Douglas with no previous connection to the club or each other at all. Guilbert seems to have settled in just fine and Douglas has plenty of incentive to make this work. More importantly so long as we have stuck to our guns and highlighted character as an important trait, integration shouldn't be a major issue. The next question is do they fit the system we are looking to employ? Again this will be on the scouting/analytics department, as long as they have done their job properly we should be good to go. 

We haven't signed 5 players on deadline day either. The majority have been here for a couple of weeks now, if not the entirety of pre-season. There's still over a fortnight left till we kick off. We have HAD to do this regardless and we have gone about it the right way. Given ourselves the best shot possible.

Exactly my thoughts, I just couldn’t be arsed to write it all out 🤣

Totally agree, we’ve retained the core of our promotion winning side and enhanced it with superior players in key positions who have pre-existing links and relationships.

We played and linked well against Walsall and will just continue to improve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now we have got our 'Ins' pretty much sorted, I think we will be seeing the 'outs' happen....Thor, Lansbury, Tish and Hogan. 

I can't believe the balance of the squad. No square pegs in round holes. Players all comfortable with pass and move....what is this witchcraft??

One thing for sure, despite the transformation of the team, we will lose games we should win and win games we should lose but it will be a hell of an enjoyable ride!!

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 1

Must admit I had reservations about bringing in a lot of players. But to be fair, the ones we've brought in have either worked with Smith before, were here last season or are (by and large) young players with a point to prove. Really pleased with what we've done so far in all fairness, looks like we've brought in the right type of players too. We may need to be patient - it won't all click overnight. Might be a month or two before we really start to see this team click into gear. Hats off to Purslow and the recruitment team so far though - good forward planning and clearly had many of these ready to go for a while.

• Like 2

What a Squad we have ! About time we are full strength and cover, Rotation, fight place. Even Youth Player future stars

there go list -

GoalKeeper - 
A - New Sign ((Will edit this once we sign goalkeeper))
B - Steer
R - Nyland | Kalinac ((One of them to sold even I dont mind both begin sold to give way to youth Villa Goalkeeper Sarkic and one that u23 brilliant goalkeeper i forget his name)

Right Back -
A - Guilbert
B - Elmo
R - Youth Villa Player ???

Left Back - 
A - Targett
B - Taylor

Centre Half - 
A - Engels + Mings
B - Konsa + Hause
R - Suliman + Raven 
3rd optional for 3 back for Team A and B - Chester 

Right Winger -
A - Jota
B - Hassan (Treg)
R- Youth Villa Player ???

Left winger 
A - El Ghazi
B - Green ((Would replacement him - maybe left foot indeed right foot as we has Treg))

Defensive Midfield + Centre Midfield + Attack Midfield 
A - Luiz + McGinn + Grealish
B - Nakama + Conor  + Lansbury 
R - Doyle-Hayes + Clark + Ramsey | O'hare

Forward -
A - Wesley
B - Kodjia ((Would replacement him - hopefully Maupay or else))
R - Davis  

That is damn good option and fight place .... That make me exciting to watch Villa in premier leagues.. these Squad is Strong enough challenger any top 10. and too strong for bottom 3.

Note: 

A - Team A 
B - Team B
R - Reversed | U23 optional

Looking like Branjasson is Fight place which positive  to see this but i think he should be sold.

sold - Hogan and Tisha if someone come bid 

likely sold - Chester

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
  • Like 3

I think Dean Smith is going for the controversial tactic of playing more than 11 players at once, think we’ll line up like this:

Steer Kalinic

Guilbert Elmo Konsa Mings Hause Targett

Luiz       Nakamba

Jota  Grealish   McGinn  Trézéguet El Ghazi

Wesley      

It’s the classic 2 GKs with the 6-7-1 formation, it can’t fail.

If we sign another keeper plus Nakamba that will make us up to a 31 man squad if O'Hare is included. 

I think they need to loan out or sell Kalinic, loan out Bree, loan out O'Hare, loan out Hepburn-Murphy, sell Bjarnason & either sell/loan out Hogan or loan out Davis. 

What a very decent squad with depth of quality we will be left with then. 

Not sure how true this is but i hear our starting eleven got kicked all over the pitch today against kuwaiti national team

They played very dirty and one contact at the club said that wesley was injured..not sure if thats accurate i bloody hope not..

kuwaitis wont be welcomed back in a hurry..we were doing them a favour after their friendly against qpr fell through

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
spelling
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Not sure how true this is but i hear our starting eleven got kicked all over the pitch today against kuwaiti national team

They played very dirty and one contact at the club said that wesley was injured..not sure if thats accurate i bloody hope not..

kuwaitis wont be welcomed back in a hurry..we were doing them a favour after their friendly against qpr fell through

Surely our main players wouldn't be playing a full game again today after playing last night.

Â