Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i just looked at the fixture list, and realised we are playing, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea in the next 6 games, and the other two are Wolves & Newcastle....... 😬

A point off Man U, and then two wins over Wolves and Cabbage United. 7 points from 6. Which is nice. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2019 at 17:15, sidcow said:

This is exactly what I saw. 

Arsenal just constantly knocking it around the back and side to side in midfield. 

Keeper rolling it out to defenders every single time even even when it made no sense when they were tightly marked barely retaining the ball and nearly giving it away in dangerous positions. 

Wingers refusing to take on their man and constantly stopping and making a safe pass backwards.  Massive possession stats and barely getting a shot off. 

United 15% possession but every percentage of that possession was a lightning quick attack tearing Arsenal apart and really should have scored another 2 or 3 goals. 

I have seen similar things a lot and am wondering if this possession based football trying to overload and set traps has been rumbled.  At the end of the day if you refuse to run into the traps you have a team before you passing the ball from side to side getting frustrated. 

Oh and how much did that Arsenal team cost to assemble? To me they haven't got a player anywhere even close to the quality of Grealish or McGinn.  I honestly believe those 2 are much better than people still realise.  £80m each please if you are interested. 

I doubt it. It really depends on a myriad of variables and how they match up on any given match day.

If the technical ability, off the ball movement and positioning of a team is adequate they can play the possession brand of football. Easily.

The ball moves faster than the man and therefore the team in possession is always at an advantage, if they use it that way.

I guess it also depends on the tactics and organisation of the set trap and what will trigger it.

If you commit a lot of players to a set trap and if it fails you leave gaps for the attacking team to exploit and broken defensive lines. A nightmare!

High levels of stamina and cohesion is needed for a high pressing game where you set traps in your own attacking half.

I love the interview that Dean Smith gave on his coaching philosophy, because he said that players and coaches need to learn as much about the game as possible.

Then you adopt whatever approach you deem necessary to compete as best possible, as you have a tactical understanding that gives you an edge.

13 hours ago, Jareth said:

A point off Man U, and then two wins over Wolves and Cabbage United. 7 points from 6. Which is nice. 

The main thing for me is as long as we are not 10-12 points from safety come January. If we are in or around and a few points off I think we should be fine provided we get a striker and a winger in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I have a bad feeling Norwich will beat Man Utd.

19th versus 14th.  Could happen. It suits United though.  Norwich like the ball and United like to counter.  It could play right into United's hands with the higher quality players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

19th versus 14th.  Could happen. It suits United though.  Norwich like the ball and United like to counter.  It could play right into United's hands with the higher qu

I think Norwich will win and this be solsjaker last game.

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So do I but if we get anything against city then it won't matter too much 😃

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The main thing for me is as long as we are not 10-12 points from safety come January. If we are in or around and a few points off I think we should be fine provided we get a striker and a winger in.

We'd pretty much have to lose every game between now and 1st January for that to even be a remote possibility as I couldn't see even the 19th place team being on 21 points after 20 games, that never happens.

Usually at xmas the teams in bottom 3 are on 15-16 points. Might be a point or two higher this year but we're doing o.k so far and should be reasonably comfortable at xmas if we can win 2-3 games before then and get to 20 points.

On 23/10/2019 at 20:47, MaVilla said:

i just looked at the fixture list, and realised we are playing, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea in the next 6 games, and the other two are Wolves & Newcastle....... 😬

It’s a tough run that could leave many fans frustrated and worried. On the flip side we then have a run of games which are all 6 pointers. Win a few of those and all will be looking rosy again.

19 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I hope not manure will improve at some point they just have to much quality, a loss for Norwich will be better for us in the long run I feel. 

19 hours ago, BOF said:

19th versus 14th.  Could happen. It suits United though.  Norwich like the ball and United like to counter.  It could play right into United's hands with the higher quality players.

Agree. Norwich have won two games this season. One where they parked the bus and hit on the break and the other against a piss poor Newcastle team. 

They play an open game against Man U they will lose.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

From mid December through to the end of Feb we have some really winnable games apart from Man city, that period could make or break our season.

Yep, said this earlier in the season. Such a crucial period. We could hopefully be looking relatively comfortable by March.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think Norwich will win and this be solsjaker last game.

So do I but if we get anything against city then it won't matter too much 😃

Norwich are going to get hammered. They way Norwich play they will get dismantled, counter attacking football is what this Man United team is all about. Rashford and Martial will have a field day.

• Like 1

That win last week was so massive bearing in mind our next 6.

Utd and Chelsea we have a good chance yes, but it's likely we lose I'd imagine.

Wolves and especially Newcastle absolutely monstrous so we don't stagnate.