Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Have to say whenever I catch a TV game of theirs I enjoy watching Sheffield United. Like us they will stay up as they're decent at both ends.

Respect Wilder plenty and he really makes that 3-5-2 work. Of course they can knock it long when required but they are also very capable of playing quick 1-2s out wide quickly which means with their overloads their wide players get plenty of space to get crosses in. They build up plenty of corners from that tactic and eventually they score from one. We've also struggled defending against them in last two seasons.

At the other end they also have more grit than Norwich who are simply too easy to score against. I said in August they were most likely of the promoted trio to go back down and haven't seen anything to change my mind.

Arsenal were hopeless. Even in last ten minutes they were more concerned with getting their possession stats up by knocking the ball around their own penalty area. It's really night and day the intensity they play with in home and away games. Shame we have to wait until May until we get them on our own turf.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm still amazed Enda Stevens is a regular for them.

Was s*** for us.

He's a very decent LWB for them. I was surprised how much he played for us in 12/13 so if we weren't such a mess at the time a player we could've stuck with and developed. Much better than Joe Bennett anyway.

I'd probably say Sheffield United is similar to Wolves last year. Don't have the individual talent but the 3-5-2 really improves the players. If they went elsewhere and played in other formations they'd probably just go back to being average.

Edit: I didn't see @useless post comparing them to Wolves. Honest. :ph34r:

Edited by VillaChris

As soon as I saw that "openly celebrates goals Spurs score in games he refs" Mike Dean was reffing the Arsenal - Sheff United game, I knew Arsenal would lose...  Pretty sure they've lost like 9/10 Premier League games he's reffed for them at this point.  

So at this stage of the season, Only the season before last we were in a better position (we were 9th), then we need to get back to Mcleish to find  ourselves in a better position than 12th which we currently stand at. Which includes PL and Championship.

• Like 2

We're the most fouled team by 131 fouls compared to Man Utd who got fouled 126 times. While we're joint most giving fouls with Everton by 109.

We certainly have great stats and numbers which shows that we have quality.

• Like 1

Only Norwich conceded more corners than us (72) with us (69).

Only Wolves, Brighton and Newcastle won less corners than us (38).

Not the best stats here, could be because we're focusing more on open play. Thats why we still don't have our defenders names in the scoring sheets.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Newcastle have beaten United, and Tottenham as have Brighton, Palace have beaten United, Norwich have beaten Man City, and now Sheffield United beat Arsenal. We need to show that we can get similar results for the psychological advantage. Yes Man City and Liverpool will be favorites and they could well both end up thrashing us, but getting a result isn't impossible the last thing we need is to come away from the next two without any points.

No big deal pretty much expected, coming away with any points is an absolute bonus for me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Have to say whenever I catch a TV game of theirs I enjoy watching Sheffield United. Like us they will stay up as they're decent at both ends.

Respect Wilder plenty and he really makes that 3-5-2 work. Of course they can knock it long when required but they are also very capable of playing quick 1-2s out wide quickly which means with their overloads their wide players get plenty of space to get crosses in. They build up plenty of corners from that tactic and eventually they score from one. We've also struggled defending against them in last two seasons.

At the other end they also have more grit than Norwich who are simply too easy to score against. I said in August they were most likely of the promoted trio to go back down and haven't seen anything to change my mind.

Arsenal were hopeless. Even in last ten minutes they were more concerned with getting their possession stats up by knocking the ball around their own penalty area. It's really night and day the intensity they play with in home and away games. Shame we have to wait until May until we get them on our own turf.

This is exactly what I saw. 

Arsenal just constantly knocking it around the back and side to side in midfield. 

Keeper rolling it out to defenders every single time even even when it made no sense when they were tightly marked barely retaining the ball and nearly giving it away in dangerous positions. 

Wingers refusing to take on their man and constantly stopping and making a safe pass backwards.  Massive possession stats and barely getting a shot off. 

United 15% possession but every percentage of that possession was a lightning quick attack tearing Arsenal apart and really should have scored another 2 or 3 goals. 

I have seen similar things a lot and am wondering if this possession based football trying to overload and set traps has been rumbled.  At the end of the day if you refuse to run into the traps you have a team before you passing the ball from side to side getting frustrated. 

Oh and how much did that Arsenal team cost to assemble? To me they haven't got a player anywhere even close to the quality of Grealish or McGinn.  I honestly believe those 2 are much better than people still realise.  £80m each please if you are interested. 

It just makes losing to arsenal all the more painful, the league this year is pretty low on quality generally. If Man City and Liverpool hadn't turned into nearly indestructible titans compared to the rest, Leicester would very close to the top again. 

8 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Only Norwich conceded more corners than us (72) with us (69).

Only Wolves, Brighton and Newcastle won less corners than us (38).

Not the best stats here, could be because we're focusing more on open play. Thats why we still don't have our defenders names in the scoring sheets.

Corners are difficult for me as a stat.  It depends on loads of things.  Conceding corners could mean we stop loads of crosses from open play (Better as you can organise as oppose to balls whipping in from the flanks).

Getting corners is another one,  our last goal,  from when Jack gets the ball I guess it's 50/50 for a corner at that point but the brilliant of the pass took out the defender and thus,  didn't have a chance to deflect for a corner.

As you say it's the style of play and the players in the wing / defender positions who can influence the stat in question.  If we get 55 points and never get a corner again this season,  all good 🙂

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Sheffield United beat arsenal, not good for us, a few lower teams seem to be getting big results, not going to make the dog fight any easier.

On the other hand,  apart from the top 2 it compresses the league and means almost anyone can get pulled down.  If smaller teams keep getting big results against the so called big teams then maybe the big teams are not as good as they or we assume they are this season.  IMO we have too much quality and we will be fine.  Logic suggests we will beat one the big boys this season ?

59 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I meant the two CB’s which willl mostly score through corners.

We don’t get many corners and I think, not sure if there are any stats on this, a lot of our free kicks are fairly central and so don’t generally produce dangerous crosses for attacking headers. Headed hatrick for Mings at Citeh and we can move on to another debate 😀  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It just makes losing to arsenal all the more painful, the league this year is pretty low on quality generally. If Man City and Liverpool hadn't turned into nearly indestructible titans compared to the rest, Leicester would very close to the top again. 

I'm convinced we'd have won that if it was at Villa Park, Arsenal can still get wins at Emirates as their intensity levels are much better than in any away game they play.

We are unlucky this season with the state Arsenal, Spurs and Man. United are in we don't play any of them at Villa Park until March, indeed Arsenal is last home game.

8 points from our last 4 at VP so it's what we need it to be to stay up reasonably comfortably.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal, Spurs and Man. United

Not always the case,  it can go toxic for these at home very quickly.  Someone scores early at manutd and hopefully it goes full toxic.

They are all the same in that their fans are not the best, either plastic or a glory hunter or just a plain deluded non champions of europe set of words removed.

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Corners are difficult for me as a stat.  It depends on loads of things.  Conceding corners could mean we stop loads of crosses from open play (Better as you can organise as oppose to balls whipping in from the flanks).

Getting corners is another one,  our last goal,  from when Jack gets the ball I guess it's 50/50 for a corner at that point but the brilliant of the pass took out the defender and thus,  didn't have a chance to deflect for a corner.

As you say it's the style of play and the players in the wing / defender positions who can influence the stat in question.  If we get 55 points and never get a corner again this season,  all good 🙂

WDFAFC