Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

13 hours ago, hippo said:

I wasn't - reminded me of us under Houllier. Easy on the eye - but limited clout. Lots of sideways passing - but for a supposedly eastablished prem team - they have won only 2 games ....easy to see why. They will be down there this season.

That seems unfair to me. I thought they always looked dangerous. Maupay and Connelly were lively and in Webster and Dunk their central defense is strong. They will stay up! They were better than Everton and West Ham, when they came to Villa Park.

Edited by Philosopher
Their, there, and they're
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

That seems unfair to me. I thought they always looked dangerous. Maupay and Connelly were lively and in Webster and Dunk their central defense is strong. They will stay up! They were better than Everton and West Ham, when they came to Villa Park.

Like I say 2 wins so far.

Looking like you might win - isn't good enough.

31 minutes ago, hippo said:

Like I say 2 wins so far.

Looking like you might win - isn't good enough.

I think they may be feeling a bit like we did prior to the victories against Norwich and themselves to be honest - in the fact that their performances have merited more points than they actually have.

They have lost away at Man City & Chelsea (no shock), lost to Southampton but played with 10 men for an hour and lost to us which even our gaffer said was harsh.

The three draws they have had, they have been the better team, more chances, more possession ETC and have probably dropped 6 points in these games.

I would envisage a league table finish between 12th -15th - similar to us IMO.

On 20/10/2019 at 01:08, abdulaziz1 said:

So,

Man City, Liverpool, Wolves, Newcastle, Chelsea, Man Utd, Leicester, Southampton, Sheffield, Norwich, Watford. Not sure about the sequence of the games but, those are 11 games until the new year. We'll have played 20 games after that.

I'd say 6 of those are 6-pointers (including Wolves). Anything else would be bonus. Currently, 4 points from Dingles and Barcodes are important. But then there is a tough run after that. if we managed 6-9 points after we finish the Leicester game. then I think we've done a huge work to secure our place.

Although there is one problem, which is playing most of our opponents away from home later in the season. So we need as much as we can now.

Even only 4 wins would still see us on 23 after 20 games.  In perfectly decent form to survive - even though that would mean a run of losses.  5 or 6 wins should be achievable, though there are bound to be shitty results along the way as well.   Add maybe the odd draw here or there and it will hopefully be looking OK going into the second half of the season.  

One of the most important games of the season so far for us tonight and we aren't even playing. I have a dreaded sense of ominous foreboding that it's the kind of game that Arsnal often throw away, but a good chance for them to go third in the league and just a point behind Man City, so hopefully they turn up.

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Got a feeling Sheffield United will win today and AFTV will go into an absolute meltdown. Again.

Nah Sheff United are a championship team that massively over achieved last season and have manage to continue it in to this season with hard work and team spirit. It won’t last and they’ll go down. 

They actually signed ten players in the summer spending quite a bit of money in the process, so they're not the same team as they were in the championship. Whenever I've seen them this season they've looked pretty decent.

3 hours ago, rubberman said:

Even only 4 wins would still see us on 23 after 20 games.  In perfectly decent form to survive - even though that would mean a run of losses.  5 or 6 wins should be achievable, though there are bound to be shitty results along the way as well.   Add maybe the odd draw here or there and it will hopefully be looking OK going into the second half of the season.  

Exactly, anything more than 4-5 wins, then we should aim higher and try to continue our form. It would just give us the chance to show what we’re made of.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Many players in recent years who were poor for us, or judged to be poor by fans have gone to do well for other teams, you could probably make an half decent side made up of them.

Would you include Bannan in that mold?

Yes, and Westwood and Veretout, and to a certain extent Gueye in terms of central midfielders, you could even say Jonathan Hogg as well, who most would have said he wasn't good enough for us, but he ended up playing in the premier league whilst we were in championship.