Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

9 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The Jota throughball one we’d done pretty much the same move a few weeks before at the Walsall friendly. It’s a shame Jota was so weak and immobile as technically a very good player

They formed a good relationship on and off the pitch early on. We need a Jota type player but who's actually good at this level. Benrahma would be perfect. Buendia as well.

• 2 weeks later...

its really quite amazing that we pulled it off this season to stay up, we were pretty much dead and buried at one point.

Just imagine if any of the following didnt happen:

1) the 95th minute Mings goal versus Watford on 21/01/20 (won 2-1)

2) The 94th minute Targett goal versus Brighton on 19/10/19 (won 2-1)

3) Elmo's 83rd minute goal versus Toon on 24th June 2020 (drew 1-1)

then add that to the amazing 8 points from the last 4 games......

Boys done good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

its really quite amazing that we pulled it off this season to stay up, we were pretty much dead and buried at one point.

Boys done good.

You can do this the other way round as well  palace away, liverpool home, spurs home etc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark_1989 said:

Exactly. Bit of a non argument if/buts/maybes.

we were where we were. Thank god we escaped.

I said this to my boys about promotion. The 10 game run contained many last gasp decisions for us. Steers save against WBA when we were 1 down. 

It's why we shouldn't make snap decisions, fine margins. 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 18:46, MaVilla said:

Some days I suddenly start thinking about Villa and the crazy season that finally ended last month and I'm still amazed and in shock that we somehow actually stayed up in the end. As far as I know that must be the best great escape by Villa in my lifetime, since 1973. Almost as good as Steve McQueen. I know there were so many twists and turns including injury time goals for and against us, but an announcement by Hawkeye blew my mind... that the extremely random obscured Hawkeye cameras moment against Sheffield United was the first time ever in more than 9,000 matches! I mean, there could alternatively have been another 9,000 or so matches again before all their camera angles were finally obscured by players in just the right positions at just the right moment for the first time ever. Brilliant good fortune ! : )

The escape I thought was very similar to the Sherwood season. We looked completely done when Lambert was sacked and then we sprung into life late on in that season beating West Ham and Everton. Lambert's first season was also a great escape as we were in the bottom 3 for months on end after the awful xmas period.

Suppose the difference is in those two seasons we were never as much adrift as 7 points as the morning of the Palace game.

The lack of time left made it incredible, we had to get 8 points in the last 4 just to give us a chance and luckily Watford lost their last 3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

The escape I thought was very similar to the Sherwood season. We looked completely done when Lambert was sacked and then we sprung into life late on in that season beating West Ham and Everton. Lambert's first season was also a great escape as we were in the bottom 3 for months on end after the awful xmas period.

Suppose the difference is in those two seasons we were never as much adrift as 7 points as the morning of the Palace game.

The lack of time left made it incredible, we had to get 8 points in the last 4 just to give us a chance and luckily Watford lost their last 3.

The thing with Lambert is we never went to the last game needing anything. Possibly not even the week before. I remember one of them Wigan lost a midweek game, to confirm our safety. I think two days after they won the cup? We had good results towards the end of the season, winning 6-1 against Sunderland, winning at Norwich (as I've been to that game, and to Chelsea when Benteke got sent off). Same season I've to some nice games, at Liverpool 3-1, at Norwich 4-1 (League Cup), Stoke 0-0.

But we started playing well after the Newcastle loss. Winning against QPR, Stoke (that Lowton goal). That season was entertaining, if we only beat Bradford!

The one after was similar to McLeish, we had an ok start, but our results got worse, until we won against Chelsea.

The last one was 10 points from 12. Then long run without winning or scoring. Until Sherwood came then we had a bit of a fun. Then was the cup final, and the rest is history!

This escape was something different. You keep the result, you stay up, a goal against you and you're down. Keep checking Bournemouth results, it only got worse. They had a good game. The feeling was different. Yes we're used as Villa to make it nervous, but this is something new.

• Like 1

And we were lucky in the end that the season didn't get cut short. At first I wanted it to be cut short because a lot of people, including some people on here, were saying that it was probably going to be null and void. And then I read somehere that actually if the season got cut short then it probably wouldn't be null and void, and the final table would probably be decided on PPG. And subsequently I suddenly kept on reading that in various places. Yikes! Suddenly I changed my tune pretty quickly! So, in conclusion, thank goodness the season didn't get cut short !

On 13/08/2020 at 05:49, abdulaziz1 said:

The thing with Lambert is we never went to the last game needing anything. Possibly not even the week before. I remember one of them Wigan lost a midweek game, to confirm our safety. I think two days after they won the cup? We had good results towards the end of the season, winning 6-1 against Sunderland, winning at Norwich (as I've been to that game, and to Chelsea when Benteke got sent off). Same season I've to some nice games, at Liverpool 3-1, at Norwich 4-1 (League Cup), Stoke 0-0.

But we started playing well after the Newcastle loss. Winning against QPR, Stoke (that Lowton goal). That season was entertaining, if we only beat Bradford!

The one after was similar to McLeish, we had an ok start, but our results got worse, until we won against Chelsea.

The last one was 10 points from 12. Then long run without winning or scoring. Until Sherwood came then we had a bit of a fun. Then was the cup final, and the rest is history!

This escape was something different. You keep the result, you stay up, a goal against you and you're down. Keep checking Bournemouth results, it only got worse. They had a good game. The feeling was different. Yes we're used as Villa to make it nervous, but this is something new.

You have a great memory! I remember that spectacular long-range Lowton goal at Stoke. And the crazy 6-1 against Sunderland, which I followed on the BBC live text in an internet cafe in Madrid, at first very nervously and then, to my surprise, more and more happily !

50 minutes ago, robby b said:

You have a great memory! I remember that spectacular long-range Lowton goal at Stoke. And the crazy 6-1 against Sunderland, which I followed on the BBC live text in an internet cafe in Madrid, at first very nervously and then, to my surprise, more and more happily !

Who can forget that day? I was just imagining how can we overtake Newcastle (as I don’t like them), there was an -11 GD between us. I just started thinking if Liverpool would give them a thrash then we somehow beat Sunderland with a good amount of goals a day later. 
Somehow it wasn’t just an imagination, Liverpool won 6-0, we won 6-1, we’ve been above them by goal scored. Finished the season above them and Sunderland. That was the last season we had above 40 points. We stayed up the season before and two seasons after with 37-38. This season 35. 

I don’t think it’s about a good memory rather than remembering things and places I’ve watched it at then remember the circumstances. 

For example I can’t remember much of 2016-17, as I wasn’t bothered at the end we had no hope. Same goes with the year before. I can’t even remember a lot of matches 2017-18 as the season was so easy (apart from the first 7 games).

Might be the amount of stress we had at the time then the amount of relief. 

58 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Who can forget that day? I was just imagining how can we overtake Newcastle (as I don’t like them), there was an -11 GD between us. I just started thinking if Liverpool would give them a thrash then we somehow beat Sunderland with a good amount of goals a day later. 
Somehow it wasn’t just an imagination, Liverpool won 6-0, we won 6-1, we’ve been above them by goal scored. Finished the season above them and Sunderland. That was the last season we had above 40 points. We stayed up the season before and two seasons after with 37-38. This season 35. 

I don’t think it’s about a good memory rather than remembering things and places I’ve watched it at then remember the circumstances. 

For example I can’t remember much of 2016-17, as I wasn’t bothered at the end we had no hope. Same goes with the year before. I can’t even remember a lot of matches 2017-18 as the season was so easy (apart from the first 7 games).

Might be the amount of stress we had at the time then the amount of relief. 

Mate, you seriously have a good memory! :D You've remembered so many details, a lot of matches, all those seasons, the goal difference... : ) And I thought I had a good memory, hahaha! : D

Edited by robby b

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been informed by Chief Researcher GingerCollins29 that during the whole of last season in the league we were given just three penalties! Well thanks so much refs and VAR, "you are really spoiling us" (Ferrerer Rocher) with these awarded penalties. Aha! So maybe we did win a trophy after all, the Least Penalties Awarded Cup, yay ! 😀

Edited by robby b

4 hours ago, robby b said:

I have just been informed by Chief Researcher GingerCollins29 that during the whole of last season in the league we were given just three penalties! Well thanks so much refs and VAR, "you are really spoiling us" (Ferrerer Rocher). Aha! So maybe we did win a trophy after all, the Least Penalties Awarded Cup, yay ! 😀

Two of them were missed by Wesley and Jack (at Norwich and Sheff Utd), one was irrelevant against City which was scored by El Ghazi.

• Thanks 1

I had somehow managed to forget all three! :s But then I found El Ghazi's by looking in our list of goals for the season. I'll be surprised if any other team was given as few as, or less than, three pens in the PL last season.

On 12/08/2020 at 23:50, robby b said:

Some days I suddenly start thinking about Villa and the crazy season that finally ended last month and I'm still amazed and in shock that we somehow actually stayed up in the end. As far as I know that must be the best great escape by Villa in my lifetime, since 1973. Almost as good as Steve McQueen. I know there were so many twists and turns including injury time goals for and against us, but an announcement by Hawkeye blew my mind... that the extremely random obscured Hawkeye cameras moment against Sheffield United was the first time ever in more than 9,000 matches! I mean, there could alternatively have been another 9,000 or so matches again before all their camera angles were finally obscured by players in just the right positions at just the right moment for the first time ever. Brilliant good fortune ! : )

That’s why I find a few comments about not needing to look at certain positions or some of the links of players of the same quality we already have as good signings.  We need the next level up of signings otherwise we will be fighting relegation because we defeated all the odds in the end to stay up.

We need at least a solid 15-18 players in the squad and to be honest outside of Heaton, Mings, Jack, McGinn and Luiz I don’t care if the others stay or go.  I think Wes can step up next season, hopefully Konsa can still grow but the rest if they stay or go I’m not that fussed.  We have to increase that initial list from 5 to 10.  We have to push some of the current first teamers to squad players otherwise we’ll have the same conversation as the above post but we may not have survived. So key to get in those 4-5 quality players to avoid the same conversation.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, robby b said:

I have just been informed by Chief Researcher GingerCollins29 that during the whole of last season in the league we were given just three penalties! Well thanks so much refs and VAR, "you are really spoiling us" (Ferrerer Rocher) with these awarded penalties. Aha! So maybe we did win a trophy after all, the Least Penalties Awarded Cup, yay ! 😀

Did we score any of them anyway, I know Jack missed against Sheff Utd and Wesley missed against Norwich, can't remember the other one