Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Some worried about how Burnley might perform against our rivals but looking at the form guide over the last ten or so games they've been the sixth best side in the league, in fact over the last ten games they've taken only one less point than Man City and the same amount of points as Man Utd and Chelsea. So maybe them playing our rivals might actually be a good thing. Obviously there's been a big break in play but you can say that for everyone.

Also looking at the table based on games since the restart and not counting our game in hand that was against Sheffield United, we're fifteenth in the table, obviously it's only based on two games, but it does tell you than we're in better form than all our relegation rivals with the exception of Brighton.

21 minutes ago, useless said:

Some worried about how Burnley might perform against our rivals but looking at the form guide over the last ten or so games they've been the sixth best side in the league, in fact over the last ten games they've taken only one less point than Man City and the same amount of points as Man Utd and Chelsea. So maybe them playing our rivals might actually be a good thing. Obviously there's been a big break in play but you can say that for everyone.

Only 2 or 3 points off Europe (7th or 8th) now, they have to be motivated for their next games.

26 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

2,000 fans at Anfield this evening. Shameless. I don't begrudge them but have some common sense.

So those at the beach are the devil incarnate.

But Many of the supporters who congregated at the club's ground wore face masks and some lit flares.  So that's just fine and dandy.  I am assuming that flares kill. Covid-19.  Phew. 

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Oooohhh

200.gif

It was just funny to me that these were consecutive posts on this thread. 

It was even funnier that you posted your witty comment immediately under my post celebrating Watford’s defeat. I just wanted to make sure you were keeping up with events. 😀

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

Another break. But we still need to beat at least one of wolves, Liverpool and man Utd to ensure we aren't chasing at the very end :(

Arsenal? Crystal Palace? Everton? It is pretty clear the last game of the season will decide who stays up between us west ham and Bournemouth. We have to win that game a draw is unacceptable. It would be ideal if we were ahead of wet span at that point but that may be unlikely. They reckon 36 points will be enough to stay up this year and we are only 9 points off so 2 wins against arsenal, cp or Everton would probably be enough to ensure our survival and if we manage to nick a point against any of the 3 you mentioned we will be in a good position to get to safety.

But if we get relegated by one point I wouldn't be surprised if we point to CP game earlier in the year or sokratis's blatant handball against us.

I had convinced myself that Watford would beat Burnley tonight as i had the impression they were in disarray with contract issues, players absent and an unhappy Dyche. Very happy with that result as it keeps Watford pinned into the scrap. As ever though it comes down to our ability to get wins which appears to be beyond us so the sweaty palms time continues. Goodness me what a difference it would make if we could scrape together a small winning run for a few games. So i am placing an order with the Universe for a 3 game winning run for Villa please. A thoroughly deserved one with our best performance of the season to kick things off against Wolves, a flukey jammy win at Anfield and a battling 2-1 win against Man Utd after they have a man sent off.  

• Like 1

Grats to Liverpool by the way. Not my club but there are lessons there for us.

Their players won the league not just because they are expensive players, but also because they put in a bloody shift every game with intense pressing executing to a well coached gameplan.  

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Their players won the league not just because they are expensive players, but also because they put in a bloody shift every game with intense pressing executing to a well coached gameplan.  

Over the 2 games this season we are up 6-2 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

2,000 fans at Anfield this evening. Shameless. I don't begrudge them but have some common sense.

That was always going to happen. They are Liverpool fans, so they don't do common sense or behaving. This whole restart was all about them. Now let's take their precious championship off them for gathering around Anfield against all advice to the contrary and ignoring social distancing, just because they felt like it ;). Of course the media won't have a problem with them, a high percentage of them are reds after all. What's to stop other team's fans following their example now?  :rolleyes:    

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

So those at the beach are the devil incarnate.

But Many of the supporters who congregated at the club's ground wore face masks and some lit flares.  So that's just fine and dandy.  I am assuming that flares kill. Covid-19.  Phew. 

6 months on they will prosecuting the police for not breaking up the celebrations and allowing the spread of COVID

• Like 1

If we had played like Watford yesterday, Bournemouth the day before (0 shots on target), like west ham did at spurs then there would be hell to pay. Should all of those clubs be sacking their managers too? 

Our 1 defeat came against a side that just put city to the sword. The other 2 games we could and probably deserved to win. I Include Newcastle in that too.  We've started relatively well (comparing to the other side's around us). Which is why we've caught up. Brighton aside

But the posts I'm reading are like this is a done deal and were down, everyone is sold and we are in the shit again. I don't think, right now as we speak, this couldnt be any different to what's in front of our eyes. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

If we had played like Watford yesterday, Bournemouth the day before (0 shots on target), like west ham did at spurs then there would be hell to pay. Should all of those clubs be sacking their managers too? 

Our 1 defeat came against a side that just put city to the sword. The other 2 games we could and probably deserved to win. I Include Newcastle in that too.  We've started relatively well (comparing to the other side's around us). Which is why we've caught up. Brighton aside

But the posts I'm reading are like this is a done deal and were down, everyone is sold and we are in the shit again. I don't think, right now as we speak, this couldnt be any different to what's in front of our eyes. 

The fixture list is the worry. We have a harder run in than West Ham and Watford and we will need to finish above one of these to stay up. 
I don't neccessarily agree we've looked better after the restart either. We've failed to beat Newcastle and Sheff Utd - both were absolutely there to be beaten and we'd have lost to the latter had the ref not forgotten to charge his fitbit. We were absolutely played off the park against Chelsea. 

I can't see us staying up. We don't have enough in the wide areas to win games and we have a mistake in us nearly every match. 

Love to be proven wrong, of course. 

43 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can't see us staying up. We don't have enough in the wide areas to win games and we have a mistake in us nearly every match. 

This pretty much sums it up for me tbh.

6 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

It's not just about putting in a shift, it's a lot more complicated than that.  

They've crafted a very good balanced team over the course of a few years, spending a huge amount of money in the processs, but on a great spine of players who complement each other. 

It's nice when you've got the luxury to spend the bones of 150 mil on two players (CB and GK) rather than an entire squad, for example. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's not just about putting in a shift, it's a lot more complicated than that.  

They've crafted a very good balanced team over the course of a few years, spending a huge amount of money in the processs, but on a great spine of players who complement each other. 

It's nice when you've got the luxury to spend the bones of 150 mil on two players (CB and GK) rather than an entire squad, for example. 

They have spent a lot of money but also recouped a lot of money. Their net spend for the last five years is 107 mill while Man C is at 600 mill & Man u are at 480 mill. Aston Villa are at 160 mill.