Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

12 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I think Zatman was alluding to other fans not us saying its about avoiding relegation 

No, I was agreeing with Zatman.  

My point was that people will say football must continue despite if many players back out which just shows how stupid continuing with this season is....it’s like when we played Liverpool in the cup. Great for us to get through to the next round, it was a great night but in terms as football as a game it was just plain stupid and that’s how some of the games this season could be if continued.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Will see what numbers are like now people are back at work , at moment it looks like its going to restart some time in June 

This is the key question .... What will the number of Covid19 new case numbers be like at the time and during the weeks that the PL is restarted and played to a conclusion?

My expectation is that the 'R' number will climb back above '1' within a few weeks, which means a return to exponential growth of Coronavirus transmissions.

I don't have a qualification in epidemiology, but I've watched the media coverage of the rushed 'return to work' public transport fiasco, and it's left me shaking my head in disbelief.

The lack of planning is glaringly obvious and the knee jerk politically driven responses are totally inadequate. The end of June through to August may well be a very sobering period of time, if the reality of re opening the UK without a workable plan kicks in.

I really hope I'm wrong about the risks of striving to return to a 'new normal' too soon, but my own opinion remains that we should not be creating more unnecessary risk to health and safety than is absolutely essential.

We're nowhere near being in control of this pandemic, and wont be until an approved vaccine is developed and administered globally.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

How do you make a wall for free kicks?

I have no interest in watching what's left of this season in the PL or anywhere else but I will try and catch at least part of one the Bundesliga games this weekend to see how they handle this farce.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This government are very unlikely to agree to anything that black and white - they'll take themselves well out of the firing line for any potential legal action. I think there will be a lot "talking" behind closed doors to encourage players to play.

Interesting that Troy Deeney has said he'd rather be skint than put his family at risk.

I wonder if he would take the same attitude if he was actually skint. Talk is cheap people are already risking their lives going to work to pay the bills and feed their families 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I wonder if he would take the same attitude if he was actually skint. Talk is cheap people are already risking their lives going to work to pay the bills and feed their families 

Given he grew in Chelmsley Wood like me and had a harder up bringing than me there he knows that life.  Can’t believe I’m defending Troy but hard life he’s had experience of that so you can’t throw that at him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes the more deadly a virus the easier it is to contain 

Very true.

Covid-19 is a virus that doesn't do serious harm to most people, yet lethal enough to be ignored. 

Players getting infected will by 99.9% likelyhood survive it if they were normal people. But what it can do to elite athlets is unknown. It's easy to see that it might do some permanent damange on the lungs. It probably won't kill them, but it can do serious damage to their careers. Having just 80% lung capacity, either permanent or semipermanent is probably enough to end a career at the highest level.

Young people also tend to get very light symptoms, which means if tests aren't accurate enough they might play football at the highest level while infected. Could mean nothing, could put them in greater danger for more serious illness and/or death. Nobody knows.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Given he grew in Chelmsley Wood like me and had a harder up bringing than me there he knows that life.  Can’t believe I’m defending Troy but hard life he’s had experience of that so you can’t throw that at him.

Yes but you change when you have money 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Deeney's quotes in full. Hard to disagree.

Indeed, he's talking sense, it's much more of a problem here than in Germany.

I see Rugby have cancelled all international fixtures for July, yet football and particularly the PL have their heads in the sand because they and the government want money.

This should be a wake-up call but they are gambling with lives because people are expendable and we are just numbers and money to them.

Just now, PaulC said:

True but I’ve been successful and lived around the world and come back to Birmingham because of family but haven’t forgotten my upbringing.  I take your point but I’ve partly chosen family over big money because of my mom’s health.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Just out of interest how to you feel Deeney or any other player should handle this situation?

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

True but I’ve been successful and lived around the world and come back to Birmingham because of family but haven’t forgotten my upbringing.  I take your point but I’ve partly chosen family over big money because of my mom’s health.

Yes I did the same and looked after my mom. I have the upmost respect for you Nick. You're good person. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

What did he do, or not do?

Hes had members of his family die from it and has reservations about the return  but wants to return to play if its safe to do so. Very sensible"! No ottt remarks 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hes had members of his family die from it and has reservations about the return  but wants to return to play if its safe to do so. Very sensible"! No ottt remarks 

So they are basically saying the same thing only Sterling is a bit more subtle.;)

Not surprising as one is about to become the face and world representative of PUMA and the other one is a representative of Chelmsley Wood :D