Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Jens Lehman says:

Former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann says footballers concerned about playing during the coronavirus pandemic will have to just ‘get on with it’ until a vaccine is discovered. Earlier this week, the Government gave the Premier League the green light to return at the start of June behind closed doors, while ‘avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact’. Whilst other European leagues such as the Eredivisie in the Netherlands and Ligue 1 in France have decided to cancel their domestic campaigns, Germany’s Bundesliga is due to restart on Saturday. Lehmann, who recently made a full recovery from Covid-19 himself, urged players to get back on the pitch as he believes the virus is not a ‘big concern’ for fit and healthy athletes.

‘In the end, you have to live with it, because the only thing that this lockdown is based on is the hope that eventually we are going to find a vaccine or some medicine which cures it. But there’s only hope,’ he told beIN Sports. Visit our live blog for the latest updates: Coronavirus news live ‘So far we don’t have anything. Because of that, you cannot shut down everything. So you have to get on with it. ‘As long as the symptoms are not that bad, I think players have to cope with it.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/13/arsenal-hero-jens-lehmann-says-players-have-get-playing-12695115/

The free to air games will be games that weren't already listed for TV coverage - the major suppliers will be given some additional games and then the remainder will be sold off - the big difference is that potentially every game will be televised domestically somewhere. I'm guessing Sky and BT will each take a 15:00 Saturday kick off and the rest will be bid on.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Hopefully this virus doesn't turn more aggressive and i truly believe both seasons can be finished. All eyes will be set on the Bundesliga on Saturday.

Highly unlikely. A virus wants to reproduce and to survive. A virus killing it's host won't survive. Which means more contagious and less lethal are the most likely mutations..

7 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Highly unlikely. A virus wants to reproduce and to survive. A virus killing it's host won't survive. Which means more contagious and less lethal are the most likely mutations..

Problem remains winter though with the annual flu season. Simply can't see many people wanting to be out and about then given what we're going through currently.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Problem remains winter though with the annual flu season. Simply can't see many people wanting to be out and about then given what we're going through currently.

Probably true, but there won't be a vaccine ready for quite some time. Which means we need to learn to live with this virus wether we like it or not.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Yes the more deadly a virus the easier it is to contain 

The players thing will be interesting - I think if the league can keep it to just a small handful who don't want to play, then they can make those players look bad and the others will fall in line. If it snowballs though or there are enough players out, it'll be another of the things that make Project Restart a mockery of what football should be and it'll put pressure on the league, UEFA and Government.

I wouldn't underestimate the strong feeling that still exists among players after the league and government threw them under a bus on enforced pay cuts - but they are going to feel some heat on this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nabby said:

Good point , I'm getting confused with non sports subscribers

Yes thanks to deregulation and competition caused within a free market economy watching TV has gone from being the cheapest household bill to the most expensive by a country mile.

Basic Virgin Media full house bundle. I want Sports, Mrs wants movies, daughter wants Netflix, Son wants prime.  Then they have the cheek to ask me to pay a subscription so they can listen to bloody music for a Christ sake!!!! 

What's wrong with the radio and holding a tape recorder up to Top of The Pops??? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The players thing will be interesting 

I don't think they will have any choice, either play or forfeit your wages. At the end of the day it's your job, postmen still have to work, builders still have to work and if the government deems it safe for footballers to work then they just have to get on with it.

• Like 1

Just now, villa89 said:

I don't think they will have any choice, either play or forfeit your wages. At the end of the day it's your job, postmen still have to work, builders still have to work and if the government deems it safe for footballers to work then they just have to get on with it.

This government are very unlikely to agree to anything that black and white - they'll take themselves well out of the firing line for any potential legal action. I think there will be a lot "talking" behind closed doors to encourage players to play.

Interesting that Troy Deeney has said he'd rather be skint than put his family at risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting that Troy Deeney has said he'd rather be skint than put his family at risk.

It's easy to say that when you are already a multi millionaire. If he's scared to play football then he must be scared to go to the shops as there's more chance of catching the virus there than there is in a place where people are actually being tested for it. The virus isn't going anywhere and there won't be a vaccine for 12 months at least. We are going to have to accept that we can only manage the virus, not eliminate it.