Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I still don't see why they don't do it at training grounds - not only for the facilities, but also because in the most part they're much more difficult for fans to get to, so there wouldn't be the problem with people gathering - you're not going to get anywhere near a game at Bodymoor - there's no public transport and there's no parking - problem solved. It would also allow teams some home advantage and stop teams having to travel into built up areas.

I'm increasingly convinced that we will be relegated with no further play - I can't see the league having the time to finish the programme successfully and I think they'll send teams down in order to satisfy the demands of the EFL and FA.

But lets say we play two games then the seaosn has to be stopped and we are outside the drop zone? Then what a complete and utter mess. If watford were in drop zone at this point they could argue we were safe and you made us paly when we had players with covid 19 and now we are down instead of villa.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I still don't see why they don't do it at training grounds - not only for the facilities, but also because in the most part they're much more difficult for fans to get to, so there wouldn't be the problem with people gathering - you're not going to get anywhere near a game at Bodymoor - there's no public transport and there's no parking - problem solved. It would also allow teams some home advantage and stop teams having to travel into built up areas.

but where would sky put the cameras?

its the right answer to the actual "how can we safely play football?" question but that's not the question that the premier league are most interested in, tells you everything you need to know

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But lets say we play two games then the seaosn has to be stopped and we are outside the drop zone? Then what a complete and utter mess. If watford were in drop zone at this point they could argue we were safe and you made us paly when we had players with covid 19 and now we are down instead of villa.

agree

if it starts and then stops again the PL is even more **** than it is now

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also can i ask if they void leagues one and two how will they determine relegation and promotion? If there is no relegations in those leagues how can you rlegate teams in the pl??

The mooted proposal for L1 and L2 are for them to be abandoned, rather than voided (voiding would be scrubbing all the results from history, which is what the FA have done to non league football beneath the national league and its feeder leagues).  I believe there is a meeting this week to determine final league standings and therefore what'll happen to the promotion between championship / league 1 and 2 and  what they decide to do for relegation.

1 minute ago, CardiffGreens said:

The mooted proposal for L1 and L2 are for them to be abandoned, rather than voided (voiding would be scrubbing all the results from history, which is what the FA have done to non league football beneath the national league and its feeder leagues).  I believe there is a meeting this week to determine final league standings and therefore what'll happen to the promotion between championship / league 1 and 2 and  what they decide to do for relegation.

Some league 1 clubs are saying to promote top three and have no relegations then relegate the difference the following year.  If they apply that then they cant relegate from pl as simple as that.

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

agree

Yep its a huge risk and i just cant see how your gonna play ten games. If it was 3 or 4 you might get away with it.

I do also think when it does come back viewing figures will be down. It will be shit with no fans and celebrations of the players wont be the same

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

agree

That would be a brilliant outcome and more likely than we think.

A small outbreak of cases in a few places and it's over and they will look like absolute words removed (the PL)

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

BBC reporting the Premier League will lose over 340 million already because of games being cancelled and future games not scheduled for the times the broadcasters wanted 

340 million even if the season continues 1 billion if its cancelled.

you can see why even villa want to finish the season but not play at neutral venues. A 50 million loss plus relegation would be catostrophic 

Edited by PaulC

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do also think when it does come back viewing figures will be down. It will be shit with no fans and celebrations of the players wont be the same

It will be awful and the viewing figures will trail off after some initial interest.

Can't think of anything more destroying for a team,  being relegated in an empty / neutral crap ground on a Sunday morning game 4 of 8 for the Sunday.

No way will this ever happen.

(As a side thought.  There maybe some weird opportunities betting wise is the only upside to the plan)

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

340 million even if the season continues 1 billion if its cancelled.

you can see why even villa want to finish the season but not play at neutral venues. A 50 million loss plus relegation would be catostrophic 

I think the TV Deals might be auto-extended by 1 year for free or at a discount as a way to not have to return any money. It will cost the premier league a lot of money but at least they can plan for the future.  

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

I think the TV Deals might be auto-extended by 1 year for free or at a discount as a way to not have to return any money. It will cost the premier league a lot of money but at least they can plan for the future.  

Not according to the bbc 

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also can i ask if they void leagues one and two how will they determine relegation and promotion? If there is no relegations in those leagues how can you rlegate teams in the pl??

Seems to be lower league's in all countries when suspending league are taking out relegation but the tops leagues refuse to entertain it , essentially L2 club we won't relegate you to the national league thats not fair but Prem league tough luck 

If the club loses 50 mill cos cancellation - that's 50 mill they won't be spending on inflated transfer fees. Clubs like Villa will be fine, those further down the chain not so much. I do hope this corrects transfer fees - it was very much needed, and not all championship clubs spend the same money - time for those sensibly run clubs all these years to be in the spotlight - they will have the advantage after this crisis and rightly so. 

55 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Our run in is incredibly harsh. How many points do you see if/when the season restarts?

My Prediction:

Chelsea (H) L

Newcastle (A) W

Wolves (H) L

Liverpool (A) L

Man Utd (H) D

Crystal Palace (H) W

Everton (A) L

Arsenal (H) D

West Ham (A) W

I was being kind here. This is close to the best we can hope for imo. It's 36 pts. I think we are done for if the season restarts.

What a complete random prediction of results! Plus you are missing Sheff Utd game. Trolling at its finest.

54 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Our run in is incredibly harsh. How many points do you see if/when the season restarts?

My Prediction:

Chelsea (H) L

Newcastle (A) W

Wolves (H) L

Liverpool (A) L

Man Utd (H) D

Crystal Palace (H) W

Everton (A) L

Arsenal (H) D

West Ham (A) W

I was being kind here. This is close to the best we can hope for imo. It's 36 pts. I think we are done for if the season restarts.

Honestly at this point you can't make any predictions 

Liverpool away looks tough on paper but BCD , likely won the league what team or effort will they put out ?

Everton will have nothing to play for , could have players not wanting to play then the manager makes 5 subs in the game to see some of the youth players 

At any point you could have a game where the team loses players who test positive and that goes both ways , we get Jack , Targgett Nakamba all test positive before Palace suddenly that game looks very difficult 

In general there is no way of knowing how teams inc are selves will be effected by playing with no fans , teams not motivated , 5 subs etc  

Do you think the plan (if you can call this a plan) is to try and squeeze the season down to a month, before the pubs may be reopened in July? If they do restart BCD once Liverpool mathematically win the title there will be minimal interest from the joe public about it and then I can see them shutting down 4/5 rounds of matches early just to make it even more confusing. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If the club loses 50 mill cos cancellation - that's 50 mill they won't be spending on inflated transfer fees. Clubs like Villa will be fine, those further down the chain not so much. I do hope this corrects transfer fees - it was very much needed, and not all championship clubs spend the same money - time for those sensibly run clubs all these years to be in the spotlight - they will have the advantage after this crisis and rightly so. 

You have met Chelsea, Man C, Man Utd and potentially now Newcastle.....They maybe less big fees but there are still going to be a fair amount of big fees.  Also smaller clubs will increase prices of their prize assets to cover some of the losses have cause because of the virus.