Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

14 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The winner of the Carabao cup gets a whopping 100k .Not going to be hard to buy clubs out of that competition for a season 

it's not the prize money that's the problem - the clubs would have to compensate the FA for the lost revenue, the broadcasters who will be signed up for deals and the sponsors who would want their money back and compensation.

Caribou pay £6m a year in sponsorship - they do that on the basis that Premier league clubs play and the FA enforce that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

it's not the prize money that's the problem - the clubs would have to compensate the FA for the lost revenue, the broadcasters who will be signed up for deals and the sponsors who would want their money back and compensation.

Caribou pay £6m a year in sponsorship - they do that on the basis that Premier league clubs play and the FA enforce that.

And it’s not like the lower league clubs aren’t going to be struggling enough 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

They must have been pretty pissed when Liverpool in the QF  didn't send a single first team player 

The PL might not even be the issue for that cup , how many EFL clubs will be left standing to play next season ? The next issue is that UEFA start their new European competition the Conference league , what PL team in a congested league is going to be bothered with a cup with so little revenue return and they entry into a european competition likely to again have little revenue but weekly games at the smaller European clubs 

2 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

Short answer would be that the EFL would (rightly imo) be worried that the Premier League was attempting to cut itself off from the rest of the football pyramid; willing only to take up two teams from the top of the Championship, but returning none*.   Especially as it's probably likely that next season is going to be impacted in some way; and so as some sort of precedent has been set,  well, they can't possibly relegate anyone under those circumstances either.  Then all of a sudden it's been 3 years since the last set of teams went down.

*I know there were the rumours about similar happening being mooted across the rest of the football leagues, but working out the relegation criteria for the following year (adding an extra relegation place for a couple of years for instance) is within the EFL's remit, unlike across the Premier League / Championship divide.

Having two less teams would increase the likelihood of all of next seasons Championship games being played and they would get an extra 2 PL teams joining them at the end of the following season to make 5 in all. If they don't like the reduced numbers they could promote another 2 from League 1 and relegate an extra 2 at the end of 20/21. That along with the distribution of the unused parachute money to the EFL should be acceptable, given the problems inside and outside football.

See every scenario is explained by using money as a reason and the PL and FA talk of integrity. They are hypocritical scumbags!

I hate football, end it now as long as it takes to allow this feeling of resentment for the game I used to love disappear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

The winner of the Carabao cup gets a whopping 100k .Not going to be hard to buy clubs out of that competition for a season 

UEFA now talking of 3 game stages to the Nations League to try and get all the games in as they can't possibly let another cash cow take a hit 

I still think the lower leagues may be the ones to decide this , if the EFL don't play then despite what the FA are saying the PL can point out the EFL didn't complete season so why should full relegation take place.For me I kind of what us to play now as so sick of hearing the club being attacked for pointing out the issues with restarting and I think we can get out of it due to 1)McGinn back 2) Other clubs not putting any effort in.

I think the league cup has had it once we get out the other side of this. Nobody really wants it anymore. If it goes for one season the rationale will be why bother to bring it back, it makes so little money. The only clubs that can win it see it as a  tiny dull insignificant prize, and everyone else sees premier league survival as far more important than any domestic cup run.  Man City looked barely pleased that they won it when they beat us in March (2 months or a lifetime ago). Only Scotland and France have league cups and France is going to scrap there league cup soon. It could free up some space for expanded European games which make far more money for the top plutocrats of the game.  Hope I am wrong but that is what I think will happen. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

So, 45 days and 152 pages later, anything changed yet ?

Can still see it resuming at some point in June (I'd wait until July personally). Can't see them completing the 9-10 fixtures though and think FA cup will be scrapped.

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there are many spare midweeks in the calendar - I think the 'winter break' might have to go as it is.

We're also likely to have this league season finish on around the 31st July, then the 2020-21 season start the following weekend - if they start as planned on 12th June, they might just about squeeze in a free weekend. The European finals for this season might well not take place until after the start of next season and as said before, qualifying for the 2020-21 European competitions will start before the finals of those competitions. 

The next two and a half years of the football calendar are a nightmare - something will go and I suspect it'll be the league cup

Say we get relegated, on that timeline where is the transfer window?. Any club being relegated is going to be disadvantaged because you have zero planning time to revamp your squad.

The sensible thing to do would be void the season, start planning for next season, maybe look at starting a few weeks earlier to allow for the unexpected to occur.

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Am I hearing it right?

Premier League back June 1st?!

No you're not 

The government said sports can potentially come back behind closed doors 1st June, the unofficial project restart date is the 12th giving clubs a bit of time to train 

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

In terms of 14 out of the 20 members have to vote for any change

I don't think that would hold water in court, especially if we voted against it. 

If halfway through any season the league passed a new rule 19 to 1 that said any club with the letter V and 2 L's in their name are automatically thrown out of the league, do you see them winning a court case just because rules is rules? 

If Newcastle is worth over three hundred million pounds, I’m sure we are not far behind.

What would would the club be valued at in the Championship - half that figure, or even less?

Relegating us, when we have a game in hand and with the evidence of previous teams avoiding the drop - that would be incredibly harsh.

Our owners will not accept that - it will be very ugly.

- Imagine West Ham’s owners too! That would be crazy. (If it’s PPG)

Edited by Morkery

I still think the fact that we are better at home than away, and have more home matches left than away, is the big kicker. 

Also it's rather funny if reaching the cup final we lost ends up being what sees us stay up. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Also it's rather funny if reaching the cup final we lost ends up being what sees us stay up. 

How would reaching the cup final impact whether we stay up or not? If it does go to PPG then it would be just the average PPG in the premier league games.

BBC reporting the Premier League will lose over 340 million already because of games being cancelled and future games not scheduled for the times the broadcasters wanted 

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

How would reaching the cup final impact whether we stay up or not? If it does go to PPG then it would be just the average PPG in the premier league games.

I was just playing with the idea that we had one less match played due to the cup final. So not only one less match played, but it also leads to us having more home matches left than others.

In fact looking at it briefly it seems quite a few teams have played not one but two homes matches more than us. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Our run in is incredibly harsh. How many points do you see if/when the season restarts?

My Prediction:

Chelsea (H) L

Newcastle (A) W

Wolves (H) L

Liverpool (A) L

Man Utd (H) D

Crystal Palace (H) W

Everton (A) L

Arsenal (H) D

West Ham (A) W

I was being kind here. This is close to the best we can hope for imo. It's 36 pts. I think we are done for if the season restarts.