Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

"Integrity of the game"...FFS, they keep pulling this nonsensical phrase out. When has football, the PL and SKY shown integrity?

PPG is not integrity either it is grossly unfair.

Football won't be restarting on June 1st so fitting 92 games is not happening at all.

14 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

What on Earth is the issue here? Why not just decide the title & promotions on PPG but void relegation?

Short answer would be that the EFL would (rightly imo) be worried that the Premier League was attempting to cut itself off from the rest of the football pyramid; willing only to take up two teams from the top of the Championship, but returning none*.   Especially as it's probably likely that next season is going to be impacted in some way; and so as some sort of precedent has been set,  well, they can't possibly relegate anyone under those circumstances either.  Then all of a sudden it's been 3 years since the last set of teams went down.

*I know there were the rumours about similar happening being mooted across the rest of the football leagues, but working out the relegation criteria for the following year (adding an extra relegation place for a couple of years for instance) is within the EFL's remit, unlike across the Premier League / Championship divide.

11 hours ago, useless said:

Saw a stat last night that if PPG had have been used to work out the final table after 29 games of the last 10 seasons, then 10 teams would have been relegated that weren't relegated, and Leicester City wouldn't have won the title.

Is the kind of fact which will be handed to the solicitors. 

In fact I wonder how those stats change when considering the second bottom team? 

Edited by sidcow

If it's true that is, the Leicester part is, because they would have been relegated the previous season so wouldn't have even been in the premier league to win it.

Edited by useless

7 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Also, this is Stage 2 of the plan, which in the best case scenario, begins no earlier than June 1. Let's be honest, it won't. I will be shocked if the infection rate doesn't increase due to the bank holiday and people now being made to return to work in circumstances.

Football isn't returning any time soon.

Yep, that's what will happen. 

There will definitely be a spike in 2 weeks after this weekend with all the VE day parties and people swamping the parks and the packed trains. 

Football returning on 1st June is purely aspirational assuming everything is tickety boo. Everything is not going to be tickety boo. 

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Danny Rose not super keen on Project Restart :D 

Danny Rose would complain either way. Danny Rose would complain if it was agreed the PL paid him 500k a week never to play again. Despite him despising football.

• Like 3

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Danny Rose would complain either way. Danny Rose would complain if it was agreed the PL paid him 500k a week never to play again. Despite him despising football.

He's right on this thou.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yep.

If it comes to PPG we can only blame ourselves at the end of the day.

I'm thinking at the game against Arsenal against 10 men where we were leading twice and still lost. And the fact that tin pot cherries did the double on us. Disgusting.

I blame Dean Smith. 

• Haha 2

An enlarged Premier league would mean more fixtures next season - next season is going to need to finish around a week early for Euro 2021. It's hard to see those fixtures working - for some teams and their players, the season might be starting on 1st June with very little break for 20 months - I think they'll vote against extra fixtures in 2020-21, it's tight enough already.

Its interesting if a game is postponed its replayed not decided on likely statistical outcomes.

If a game is abandoned its null and void, whether its 10 mins or 89 mins. Theres no clamour to we must have a result for the integrity of the competition.

I know that each of these scenarios are single games but the principle is that games have to be played for results to be generated. 

I think we will be relegated by the premier league, I think it is a disgrace. 

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

If 14 clubs do vote for teams to be relegated and the FA sanction it then I don't see how we could sue. The rules are the rules. 

They aren't the rules though because there isn't a rule.  

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

An enlarged Premier league would mean more fixtures next season - next season is going to need to finish around a week early for Euro 2021. It's hard to see those fixtures working - for some teams and their players, the season might be starting on 1st June with very little break for 20 months - I think they'll vote against extra fixtures in 2020-21, it's tight enough already.

Just reduce the international breaks, adjust the cup competitions ie join in later rounds and no replays, complete on the night.

Finished the current season now and start the new season a week or two earlier.

Edited by nick76

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just reduce the international breaks, adjust the cup competitions ie join in later rounds and no replays, complete on the night

The problem there is different pots of money. Different TV deals for UEFA, for FIFA and for the Premier League, different deals for the FA on the FA Cup and the on the League cup - and lots of different sponsors for each tournament too. No one wants their pocket emptied for the benefit of one of the others.

Internationally, UEFA are committed to playing the Euro 2021 playoffs in this Autumn, then shortly after that the Nations Cup and then thirteen world cup qualifying games for each nation in 2021. They're also not looking to give up any of their friendly dates. They're a fine upstanding organisation, as you will know and like you I'm surprised that they'd put money ahead of the good of the game, but they will.

I think the most likely one would be for the Premier league to get together enough money to buy out of the League Cup - but I think that one will get ugly. The clubs will want to play lots of B teams in the League cup next year I think and Carabou and the FA will have one hand on the rulebook and the other one held out for cash.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If they are allowed to field weakened teams in the cups and play more midweek games they might. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

If they are allowed to field weakened teams in the cups and play more midweek games they might. 

I don't think there are many spare midweeks in the calendar - I think the 'winter break' might have to go as it is.

We're also likely to have this league season finish on around the 31st July, then the 2020-21 season start the following weekend - if they start as planned on 12th June, they might just about squeeze in a free weekend. The European finals for this season might well not take place until after the start of next season and as said before, qualifying for the 2020-21 European competitions will start before the finals of those competitions. 

The next two and a half years of the football calendar are a nightmare - something will go and I suspect it'll be the league cup

The winner of the Carabao cup gets a whopping 100k .Not going to be hard to buy clubs out of that competition for a season 

UEFA now talking of 3 game stages to the Nations League to try and get all the games in as they can't possibly let another cash cow take a hit 

I still think the lower leagues may be the ones to decide this , if the EFL don't play then despite what the FA are saying the PL can point out the EFL didn't complete season so why should full relegation take place.For me I kind of what us to play now as so sick of hearing the club being attacked for pointing out the issues with restarting and I think we can get out of it due to 1)McGinn back 2) Other clubs not putting any effort in.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think the idea that protects most people's interests is stopping the league now, having no relegation, electing Liverpool champions, inviting 2 teams from the Championship, giving the parachute payments to the football league and giving more games to Sky and BT next season to show.  You've got basically 3 months to build up the players' fitness, sort out contracts and transfers, hopefully an antibody test will be ready by then and possibly better treatments too.  It just makes sense to me, even if they did decide they had to start a new season behind closed doors or even neutral venues, at least they would start off under the new rules rather than having the rulebook thrown out the window with 9 or 10 games left which would be utterly farcical.

It makes the most sence, so they won't want to do that!

For me, it is a plan that should meet the least resistance. In addition to the reasons above:

It doesn't risk more people getting the virus by trying to play games purely for money, before it's safe enough to do so.

Clubs wouldn't be using medical staff or testing kits that could be better used elsewhere, or police.

Promoting clubs on predicted final placings does not disadvantage them, in the way that relegating clubs on that basis would.

Promotion should be limited to the automatic places, as the play-off spot won't be being played for.

For once they should do the right thing and forget about money for a couple of minutes!!

Edited by John