Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wouldnt it also the mean that Southampton are still in it being as they are on the same points. A draw would be the ideal result.

Draw would be fine but Burnley and Southampton both have fixtures against most of the bottom 6 left, which they would ideally win all of except versus us, so it’s pretty irrelevant at this stage.

Of course one of them could still get dragged in starting with a loss today, but they’d have to also go on to lose to some of our other rivals to end up in trouble, so it’s impossible to say which of the 2 teams it would be preferable for that to happen to.

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Id prefer southampton win. Want southampton to be 'on the beach' by the time we play them

Hadn’t thought of this aspect so that probably swings it to that one team to back for the win, if any, though it’s doubtful if they’d be on the beach already playing us on 34 points.

Looks like Chris Wood got injured too, which would be a blow for Burnley.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except that season he got relegated in his 1st season at this level

No, no, that didn't count because... Smith just isn't up to it

He's really lacking recently tbh. Sir Gary Cahill's Grealish takeover has pee'd all over his goblin chips.

Excited to see what he comes up with next. I can only see more of the same droning when we lose to spurs. He's in trouble if we get points!

Good piece by Michael Cox in the Athletic on the relegation battle. Paywalled (I think), but here's an excerpt:

There persists something of a meme that this isn’t a particularly strong Premier League campaign, a judgement that appears to be based solely on the quality of the top sides aside from Liverpool. But after dominating Europe last season, all seven Premier League clubs who entered this season’s Champions League or Europa League remain in those competitions. There’s little to suggest a significant decline in standards.

Part of the reason these sides are struggling to rack up enormous points hauls concerns the bottom half of the table. Unlike in previous campaigns, the relegation battle is being contested by well-organised, tactically impressive sides boasting seriously good players. There is no equivalent of last season’s Huddersfield or Fulham, a duo so hapless that anything less than 12 points from those games would be considered an embarrassing failure for the other 18 sides.

Every single Premier League side this season offers some level of quality: the Aston Villa side illuminated by Jack Grealish’s outstanding performances drifting inside form the left, the Crystal Palace side that boasts a fine defensive record and offers Wilfried Zaha and Jordan Ayew going forward.

Bournemouth have dipped from last season but still offer tactical flexibility and attacking combination play, West Ham have issues without the ball — and off the pitch — but the creativity of Manuel Lanzini and Felipe Anderson combined with the running of Michail Antonio would usually be enough for help them out of danger. Even bottom-placed Norwich have impressed this season, with the guile of Todd Cantwell and Emiliano Buendia combined with Teemu Pukki upfront.

I think this is why so many of us have stuck with Dean Smith, despite us hovering around the relegation zone all season. The bottom end of the table is just a much higher quality of football than in recent years. You don't look down at the Championship and think that any of those teams coming up would improve the league.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

You don't look down at the Championship and think that any of those teams coming up would improve the league.

Sheff Utd proves there isn't much of a gap in quality from Championship and Premier League.

Did Sheff Utd look like world beaters last season?

They've added some quality but it's mainly the same team from last season.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sheff Utd proves there isn't much of a gap in quality from Championship and Premier League.

They've added some quality but it's mainly the same team from last season.

They've brought in players for £70m this season.

That's quite a lot of money tbh 

Edit: Norwich ran away with the league last season but has added little and they are suffering badly.

Edited by sne

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Sheffield United were the best team in championship last season, in my opinion. I didn’t expect them to take to the premier league as well as they have, but they were no mugs last year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Sheffield United were the best team in championship last season, in my opinion. I didn’t expect them to take to the premier league as well as they have, but they were no mugs last year. 

They were no Wolves.

Most people on VT including myself predicted them to go straight down.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They were no Wolves.

Most people on VT including myself predicted them to go straight down.

Most people actually predicted what would happen, teams wouldnt be able to cope with the false centre backs for about 6 months. Granted they have benefitted from shit league to be so high up

Liverpool already taking it easy with champions league in mind. mentally it must get to the stage where it’s hard to give 100% every game when you know the leagues a done deal and there are other big games coming up. They will probably still win because they are so good  but I’m sure they will drop points from now until the end of the season. Especially if they beat Atletico Madrid.  

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Liverpool already taking it easy with champions league in mind. mentally it must get to the stage where it’s hard to give 100% every game when you know the leagues a done deal and there are other big games coming up. They will probably still win because they are so good  but I’m sure they will drop points from now until the end of the season. Especially if they beat Atletico Madrid.  

It really will be a good time for us to be playing them. Likely a couple of games after they've won it?

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Southampton are really poor at home, simply can't be losing there.

Yes, as good as they’ve been away, they have been very poor at home. Ground half full today and booed off at full time. It’s a great opportunity for 3 points.