Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

19 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Bournemouth is key. Watford are 3rd behind Liverpool and Man City in the form table last 8 games. People just looking at position on the table and ignoring current form. Need Sarr out to have a chance I think

Sarr out would be huge he had Targett in his back pocket at there place, absolutely terrorised him!

Just now, zab6359 said:

Sarr out would be huge he had Targett in his back pocket at there place, absolutely terrorised him!

Just looked up he's mostly only come in starting last 10 games and unbeaten in 7 of those. Clearly big factor in revival and Watford forum they saying the same

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

We've taken 6 points off Norwich, 4 off each of Brighton & Burnley, 3 off each of Everton & Newcastle and 1 off each of United & West Ham.

I know it's great to get the better of the sides around us, but to stay up we're going to have to pick up a few wins against sides we're not expected to beat because everyone else seems to be doing it.

I think this is dead right. Out of the current bottom 6 clubs, we have the worst record of all against the current top 6. We’ve taken 1 point from 7 matches And conceded 21 goals. Even Norwich (4 Pts) and Bournemouth (6) have done better than that which is partly why they are just about still in the mix. 

It’s essential we pick up some more points from the top sides. Chelsea and Man U are the most vulnerable. 

Lots of people, including the manager, said after the Man C debacle, “our season won’t be defined by a defeat by Man City”, implying that points lost to top 6 sides are not relevant to the relegation battle. They may just be wrong.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I think this is dead right. Out of the current bottom 6 clubs, we have the worst record of all against the current top 6. We’ve taken 1 point from 7 matches And conceded 21 goals. Even Norwich (4 Pts) and Bournemouth (6) have done better than that which is partly why they are just about still in the mix. 

It’s essential we pick up some more points from the top sides. Chelsea and Man U are the most vulnerable. 

Lots of people, including the manager, said after the Man C debacle, “our season won’t be defined by a defeat by Man City”, implying that points lost to top 6 sides are not relevant to the relegation battle. They may just be wrong.

Complete agreement with that final paragraph. I think it’s a psychological mistake to speak about the top teams as he has done, it gives the players an excuse/reason to lose. We must do better against one or two of the established big clubs, must gain some points. 

• Like 1

I think maybe we are getting a warped view of our games against the top 6 as most of those results were away. Nobody has points against Liverpool (H or A) either, aside from Man U. So i think a fairer comparison is who in the bottom 6 teams has points away at the top 6?

So here you go

Current bottom 6 --------Points won / available v top 6 (H)----------Points won / available v top 6 (A)-------------- TOTAL Played w/d/l-----left to play

Brighton-------------------------2 / 9 (D vs Wolves & D vs Chelsea)-----------------------------------0 / 12----------------------------------------7 - 0/2/5----------------- 3 (H) 2 (A)

West Ham --------------------------------3 / 6 (W vs Man U) ----------------------------------- 3 / 9 (W vs Chelsea)------------------------------5 - 2/0/3----------------- 4 (H) 3 (A)

Watford --------------------------6 / 9 (W vs Man U, W vs Wolves) ---------------------------------- 0 / 12------------------------------------------ 7 - 2/0/5---------------- 3 (H) 2 (A)

Aston Villa ---------------------------------------------- 0 / 9 -------------------------------------------- 1 / 12 (D vs Man U)----------------------------- 7 - 0/1/6---------------- 3 (H) 2(A)

Bournemouth --------------------------- 3 /12 (W vs Man U) ----------------------------------- 3 / 6 (W vs Chelsea)--------------------------- 6 - 2/0/4----------------- 2 (H) 4 (A)

Norwich ------------------------------------ 3 / 9 (W vs Man C) ------------- -----------------------1 / 12 (D vs Leicester)------------------------ 7 - 1/1/6----------------- 3 (H) 2 (A)

So for me a key stat there is although we have lost 6 of 7 games against the current top 6 we actually only have 2 away from home left (Liverpool & Leicester). The rest are at home & if you look at the points gained in the home games of our relegation rivals most have been at home to Wolves & Man U with a few also getting points home & away against Chelsea. So those games have to be a target for points for us too.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
correction

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefully Leicester won't just donate three points to West Ham aswell on Wednesday, that's all we need.

Ever since we beat you at the start of December we have been absolute guff apart from 2 games around New Year

Fully expecting West Ham to get at least a draw from us on Wednesday

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I think maybe we are getting a warped view of our games against the top 6 as most of those results were away. Nobody has points against Liverpool (H or A) either, aside from Man U. So i think a fairer comparison is who in the bottom 6 teams has points away at the top 6?

So here you go

Current bottom 6 --------Points won / available v top 6 (H)----------Points won / available v top 6 (A)-------------- TOTAL Played w/d/l-----left to play

Brighton-------------------------2 / 9 (D vs Wolves & D vs Chelsea)-----------------------------------0 / 12----------------------------------------7 - 0/2/5----------------- 3 (H) 2 (A)

West Ham --------------------------------3 / 6 (W vs Man U) ----------------------------------- 3 / 9 (W vs Chelsea)------------------------------5 - 2/0/3----------------- 4 (H) 3 (A)

Watford --------------------------6 / 9 (W vs Man U, W vs Wolves) ---------------------------------- 0 / 12------------------------------------------ 7 - 2/0/5---------------- 3 (H) 2 (A)

Aston Villa ---------------------------------------------- 0 / 6 -------------------------------------------- 1 / 12 (D vs Man U)----------------------------- 6 - 0/1/6---------------- 4 (H) 2(A)

Bournemouth --------------------------- 3 /12 (W vs Man U) ----------------------------------- 3 / 6 (W vs Chelsea)--------------------------- 6 - 2/0/4----------------- 2 (H) 4 (A)

Norwich -------------------------------------------- 0 / 9 ----------------------------------------------------1 / 12 (D vs Leicester)----------------------- 7 - 0/1/6----------------- 3 (H) 2 (A)

So for me a key stat there is although we have lost 5 of 6 games against the current top 6 we actually only have 2 away from home left (Liverpool & Leicester). The rest are at home & if you look at the points gained in the home games of our relegation rivals most have been at home to Wolves & Man U with a few also getting points home & away against Chelsea. So those games have to be a target for points for us too.

I think those stats may benefit from a quick check. We’ve played 3 top 6 sides at home: Liverpool 1-2, Leicester 1-4, Man C 1-6. And 4 away: Man C 0-3, Wolves 1-2, Man U 2-2 and Chelsea 1-2. You also seem to have overlooked Norwich’s 3-2 defeat of Man C at Carrow Road.

Re-present the stats all you want but it doesn’t get away from the basic point that we need to get some points off top 6 sides.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I think those stats may benefit from a quick check. We’ve played 3 top 6 sides at home: Liverpool 1-2, Leicester 1-4, Man C 1-6. And 4 away: Man C 0-3, Wolves 1-2, Man U 2-2 and Chelsea 1-2. You also seem to have overlooked Norwich’s 3-2 defeat of Man C at Carrow Road.

Re-present the stats all you want but it doesn’t get away from the basic point that we need to get some points off top 6 sides.

Thanks for the correction Briny,

I think my point is that hardly any of the bottom 6 have gotten more points away against the to 6 than we have (Only West Ham & Bournemouth both of who beat Chelsea away). In fact both Watford & Brighton have less than us with Norwich matching our solitary away point. It is still poor of course but it is a record we have a chance of putting right over the run in.

5 hours ago, Fox1884 said:

Ever since we beat you at the start of December we have been absolute guff apart from 2 games around New Year

Fully expecting West Ham to get at least a draw from us on Wednesday

You did beat them over xmas with a virtual reserve team IIRC but yes certainly dipped although the incredible winning run wasn't sustainable.

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I think maybe we are getting a warped view of our games against the top 6 as most of those results were away.

I pointed this out last season. I think we can get results against some of the "bigger" teams at home in run in

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Lampard is getting rave reviews but he's doing a shit job IMO

Ultimately how good are Chelsea really?

Let's not forget they lost Hazard in the summer and couldn't replace him in the usual manner of a CL club when that happens e.g. spunking 100 odd million on 3-4 players.

I thought last season they were really poor under Sarri after xmas. Look how bad their away form was. Somehow finished 3rd despite only winning two of their last six games as Spurs, Man. United and Arsenal were even worse in the run in.

They were never going to be up there with Liverpool and Man. City. Ultimately to me finishing top 4 which they should comfortably do and being in CL knock outs (finished above Ajax in their group) is a good season for them.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ultimately how good are Chelsea really?

Let's not forget they lost Hazard in the summer and couldn't replace him in the usual manner of a CL club when that happens e.g. spunking 100 odd million on 3-4 players.

I thought last season they were really poor under Sarri after xmas. Look how bad their away form was. Somehow finished 3rd despite only winning two of their last six games as Spurs, Man. United and Arsenal were even worse in the run in.

They were never going to be up there with Liverpool and Man. City. Ultimately to me finishing top 4 which they should comfortably do and being in CL knock outs (finished above Ajax in their group) is a good season for them.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it would be a good season for them, average is more like. 4th place is probably where most people expected them to finish at the start of the season anyway, at least according to some bookies.

Edited by Laughable Chimp