Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

We look capable of doing just enough to stay up this season. That first half had me thinking we were going down but we recovered, and it's not the first time this season we've gone into a game expecting the worst but getting something. I pray we don't get any more injuries.

8 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

LOL Watford. F off

People laughed at them hiring Pearson, but he's doing a phenomenal job. They're not in the relegation scrap for long.

I'm fully expecting them to give us a kicking again on Tuesday.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

People laughed at them hiring Pearson, but he's doing a phenomenal job. They're not in the relegation scrap for long.

They were on track for a season ala us in 2016. Remarkable turnaround but this form is unsustainable. They've got to tail off and they'll still be in and amongst the shit then. 

Let’s not forget Watford finished 10 th last season.They have a strong spine ,central midfielders good ,goal keeper good and horrible scum a good solid striker.They have been in premier league for last 6 years and have never been close to relegation.Paerson has been lucky that Deeney has just got back and reenergised them.

My big worry this season is our other relegation competitors could put a run together .Burnley are struggling at the moment but I could see them suddenly finding form and being safe.

This has coincided with the top six dropping a lot of points against the lower teams (except us)

We are finding some solidity especially away from home.I think we will do better away from home in the second half of the season than we will do at home ,our players will feel a lot of tension at home and we play many of the better teams.

The key for us is central midfield.Do we need another signing or will our existing midfielders be able to rectify this problem area.

The next few weeks and any further signings will decide if we stay up.

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

More to do with the players being pricks. Some have come out publicly saying they didn't want to play for a foreign manager 

4 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

They were on track for a season ala us in 2016. Remarkable turnaround but this form is unsustainable. They've got to tail off and they'll still be in and amongst the shit then. 

Only lost to Liverpool away in last 8. Their early form was a blip. I don't class next game as a 6 pointer because I think they'll comfortably finish mid table and always thought Pearson deserved credit for Leicester title win. Team was his nucleus

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He does best when Shakespeare is there to take care of the tactics but he is a wonderful motivator and brings discipline to the team. 

In all fairness he took over a team that has lots of talent but seemed to lack leadership.

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The more the weeks pass, the worse our summer business looks. 

It really was spectacularly poor. 

Go back and have a read of the summer transfer thread. It’s interesting to read how well the fans thought the board had done with the window at the time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Go back and have a read of the summer transfer thread. It’s interesting to read how well the fans thought the board had done with the window at the time. 

So what ?

A lot of fans were rightly excited true - we d had a great season in the championship - then spent £127m on new players - we thought susso and co knew what they were doing.

Roll on 5 months - very few of those players look to have what it takes - that's on the people who purchased those players - what the fans thought in the summer doesn't alter that.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

So what ?

A lot of fans were rightly excited true - we d had a great season in the championship - then spent £127m on new players - we thought susso and co knew what they were doing.

Roll on 5 months - very few of those players look to have what it takes - that's on the people who purchased those players - what the fans thought in the summer doesn't alter that.

Well I just thought it was interesting. Although it might suggest us fans know less about football than we thought we did.

However if that’s true in summer it might also be true now, when fans are all doom and gloom about our players and calling for the manager to be sacked. 

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

So what ?

What does have what it takes mean? We spent £10m per player. We are a point off proving that the player's have what it takes to stay in the league, which is what you're aiming for when you're spending that much per player.

People were happy because we did our business early and got players who had potential as well as some familiarity with each other to speed up the gelling process, which we'll hopefully see the fruits of later this season. But most importantly because we replaced our aging Championship squad with a better one. One that will hopefully prove by the end of the season that they're a PL team. Not sure what you were expecting though.

33 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What does have what it takes mean? We spent £10m per player. We are a point off proving that the player's have what it takes to stay in the league, which is what you're aiming for when you're spending that much per player.

People were happy because we did our business early and got players who had potential as well as some familiarity with each other to speed up the gelling process, which we'll hopefully see the fruits of later this season. But most importantly because we replaced our aging Championship squad with a better one. One that will hopefully prove by the end of the season that they're a PL team. Not sure what you were expecting though.

I was just responding to the point that most fans were happy with the summer window business. But are now less happy having seen the players for 5 months. Entirely predictable behaviour to be honest.

Right now a lot of us are excited by samatta - come the end of Feb we might not be.

Fan excitement at a new arrival is a very poor indicator of how he will perform - esp when they come from overseas.

• Like 1

Bruce is doing a great job at Newcastle especially considering his injury list. For all the criticism he got from us he’s in his element really. Setting up teams to not concede and then nicking the odd goal is his forte. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Burnley - Leicester.

I'll take a 4-0 Leicester victory with three red cards and three injuries please.

Do I get to choose the injuries? If so, Ben Mee please. 

I'm already convinced Leicester are going to blow this - they look flat as a pancake.

I see it as a straight fight now between us, Burnley and Brighton to join Norwich and Bournemouth in the Championship next season - games like this are going to be very important.