Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

37 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I reckon 37 keeps you up. I think we need four wins.

I think 5 wins from here on is what is required plus a couple of draws and we'll be okay. Somehow don't see another 15 points being all we need. Too many of the so called better teams are very inconsistent this season. Only the top 3 seem to have any real consistency. It's very possible but I wouldn't want to bank on it tbh. What I think is really important is to get the next win on the board asap. Maybe then we will see a fire light in the players for the run in.

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think we'll give a good fist of it but come up short sadly, post final numbers of 6-9-24 or something. 

so we will only get 5 more points this season while playing an extra game to everybody else ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Burnley beat Leicester tomorrow as well, Leicester form has dipped recently, have lost three of the last five and taken the same amount of points as us from the last six, Burnley can be a good team on their day as well, especially at home.

You have to laugh at Newcastle. Unbelievable stuff. They are wank.

Said a lot of times if Bruce was doing his Bruceing for us in the Premier League, fans would have been a lot more patient.

Bruceing against Ipswich and Barnsley in the Championship unforgivable. Doing it in the PL v Chelsea and Man City you've got the fun of taking points off some really good sides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Its funny how at the start of the season, and throughout the season, people say that the games against the top 6 are free hits. 

"Our season wont be judged on games against the likes of Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester. Our season will be judged on our results against the teams in the bottom half."

Problem is, all the teams in the bottom half are beating the top six, and we simply don't. We dont even beat the teams just outside of the usual top 6 clubs.

We've picked up one point against the top half of the table, as we approach Feb. It feels like Newcastle have picked up about 20!?

We really need to beat a couple of Man U, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea at home to stay up in my opinion.

This 100%.

Hate to say it but I think Smith isn't doing our summer signings any favours at all with the way he keeps chopping and changing the team, we seem to have a different midfield and defence every time we play, bedding them in was going to be difficult to begin with, but it's made all the more difficult by Smith changing the starting eleven each week. I could be wrong but I think the only time times we've named the same starting eleven for two games in a row, were against Burnley and then Norwich, and Liverpool and Man City.

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

so we will only get 5 more points this season while playing an extra game to everybody else ;)

Not too sure why because in my mind there are still lots of points up for grabs but Betway have these odds for relegation

Norwich  1.16

Bournemouth  1.53

Villa  1.72

Burnley 4.5

Watford 4.5

Im surprised at the spread.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Hate to say it but I think Smith isn't doing our summer signings any favours at all with the way he keeps chopping and changing the team, we seem to have a different midfield and defence every time we play, bedding them in was going to be difficult to begin with, but it's made all the more difficult by Smith changing the starting eleven each week. I could be wrong but I think the only time times we've named the same starting eleven for two games in a row, were against Burnley and then Norwich, and Liverpool and Man City.

Very much agree with you . spot on 

43 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Burnley beat Leicester tomorrow as well, Leicester form has dipped recently, have lost three of the last five and taken the same amount of points as us from the last six, Burnley can be a good team on their day as well, especially at home.

I would be shocked myself, but I've been shocked already this season, by points being picked up unexpectedly by teams around us, against teams that they were expected to be easily beaten by. We need to start getting a couple of those results too. I suspect that Burnley will be soundly beaten tomorrow, I'm hoping that this one, along with others involving fellow strugglers, will go our way. 🤞

I just don't see us taking points against the big clubs and I think that will be our undoing because every other bottom-half club seems to get a few points off of them. Case in point - Newcastle beats  Chelsea, CP draws Man City  and Watford draws Spurs today. 

Edited by nepal_villan

48 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its funny how at the start of the season, and throughout the season, people say that the games against the top 6 are free hits. 

"Our season wont be judged on games against the likes of Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester. Our season will be judged on our results against the teams in the bottom half."

Well, as one who has said it, I stick by it.

Our season won’t stand or fall by our results against the Top Half. 

That doesn’t mean we can afford to lose all 20 games, because we won’t get 40 points from 18 games against the bottom half.

It doesn’t mean the results in those games, especially against 8,9,10, don’t matter at all, but it remains the case that if we continue getting the same points from the bottom half as we have so far we would have 32, so should only need a couple of Wins and a Draw or two against the Top 10......all ifs and buts but the real fight is the games against our rivals.

That’s only in terms of results. In terms of belief, energy, momentum etc, and slightly easing the pressure in the other games,  a good result or two against a Top Half side would work wonders, and be priceless.

33 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Really hoping Leicester win against Burnley as it would put pressure on them as they have difficult fixtures now.

Thats very important. I don’t think winning against Watford is on the cards (although they’re due a loss). So as long as we keep in touch and reduce margins then we’re in a good position. Newcastle winning today didn’t help but still if we win two games we’ll put pressure on them again.

I think with Samatta we’ll have pace on the break which would help our new formation and our game plan against the big teams. The movement hopefully will improve in general. 

I think Jack and Targett will benefit a lot by having someone like Samatta, Luiz has the potential to assist some too. El Ghazi on his day. 

I think the way Samatta plays is more benefit for our team than Wesley. Atleast for now. Maybe with new wingers things would change.

• Like 1