Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, hippo said:

looks ominous really - Reina, Mings, Grealish - thats all we have.

Reina made a really good save at the end, think he's a smart pick up.

We need more but the situation is far from hopeless. That was a very good point today considering how bad we were for an hour. Keeps Brighton in touch aswell.

• Like 1

Really hope Chelsea can do us a favour against Newcastle, over the last ten games before today they've only take three more points than us, so they're not really in the greatest of form, and like Spurs, always seem to drop points whenever they play one of our relegation rivals.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

All in all not a bad day at all.

West Ham not winning could be big in the long run I suspect. With their away fixtures they can't afford to have too many home draws.

was it though, its same as start of play. Only Norwich won

11 minutes ago, Farlz said:

80c880ca5e2747b05776e997a130d2d5.png

We've been so crap for ages and yet we're still right in the mix, if we could just grab a couple wins from somewhere. This is going to go all the way. 

reminds me of the 1st season under Lambert. Was never a major gap

• Like 1

We've been poor, but over the last eleven games Norwich, Bournemouth, Brighton, West Ham and Burnley have all taken less points than us, if Newcastle lose today then we will have taken the same amount of points as them over the same period as well. Over the last six games we're actually twelve in the form guide.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

4 points from our next two and we should be out of the bottom 3 when you see what Burnley and West Ham have in next few weeks.

Being greedy I'd like a little buffer if/when we get out of the bottom 3.

I’d say it’s vital we get 4 points from the next two. Watford at home is a chance to exact some revenge, let’s hope the new manager bounce wears out soon. Then Bournemouth away, they’ve got Brighton at home next. We could do with them losing that before we face them. Either way, we need some points before the next run of games. 

• Like 1

Looking at the form table for the past 5 games we're 10th in the league. Some of those games we've played without a recognised striker, some without Mings and all of them without McGinn.

Make a few new signings and let's see if we can push on.

• Like 1

Good point in these circumstances. Keeps our away improvement, being in touch with Brighton themselves. Us playing without a striker isn’t an easy thing. A draw with Watford wouldn’t be the end of the world but if we somehow win then I think that will give us the boost needed. Norwich winning is important as they’ll still play most of our rivals, so we don’t want them far adrift. Bournemouth freefall is good and actually thats the best result.

• Like 1

6 points from the next 2 games is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Watford on Tuesday is a crucial game. I've said in the match thread that we should have a striker by then and the dynamics of our game will change. If Samatta has not signed we should play Vassilav. Playing a striker gives the team a better balance, options and an outlet.

We then have a week end off as its the FA Cup and we're off to Bournemouth. Give us a great chance to re-group etc.

6 Points from the next 2 games and things will look a whole lot different.

Also, first time we've dropped into the bottom 3 in terms of xPts with Norwich leapfrogging us.

Interesting to note, both Southampton and Watford were massively below their xPts talley earlier in the season suggesting they were playing better than their league position suggested and lo and behold, both teams are now on a great run of form looking nothing like relegation candidates. Norwich are currently 4.23 pts below their Xpts so it does somewhat suggest that they may be due a small good run of form. I wouldn't be surprised if they get close to 17th is what I'm saying.

Edited by Laughable Chimp