Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

17 more points needed to get to 38 points which is fine most seasons.  

16 games left, which split into 3 groups.

Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool - probably 0 points

Everton, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Sheffield - possibly 1 win, 1 draw, 5 losses from these 7 games

Newcastle, Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton - we need 13 points from these 6 games.  😩

Its going to be very, very tight and will probably go down to the last game of the season. 

Edited by ender4

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

17 more points needed to 38 points which is fine most seasons.  

16 games left, which split into 3 groups.

Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool - probably 0 points

Everton, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Sheffield - possibly 1 win, 1 draw, 65 losses from these 7 games

Newcastle, Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton - we need at least 13 points from these 6 games.  😩

Its going to be very, very tight and will probably go down to the last game of the season. 

that looks like relegation form to me...

joking aside, not sure if this fills me with confidence or despair. i think you could put 1 point into the first group, leaving 12 required from the 3rd. 4 wins from 6...it's difficult as 5 of those are away...but doable

personally i think we're going to end up requiring more than 4 points from group 2...certainly on the basis that 6/7 of those are at home. we deserve to go down if we lose 5 of those games

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

I can go either way. I think this will go to the wire so to speak. And what's obvious to anyone is that we are more likely to pull this off by supporting the club, players and manager in the stands and everywhere else. The whiny overreacting bullshit we keep reading on fan groups, radio, VT and everywhere else the second we get beaten or hammered even, well that's not useful to us at all. 

We came up through the play offs. We lost key players. Had to overhaul the squad, earlier than what was probably intended, over one summer. So while playing in the toughest league in the world we had to settle a side with 10 new players, where we had little knowledge of how a lot of total punts would work out. By large they have been quite okey (except Wesley IMO), but it's obvious it's a lot of work, investment and patience that's still needed from the club and supporters. 

Personally I think a lot of fans, and probably younger fans especially, need a reality check. 

I am not impressed by how we've handled our striker crisis, and I've said that on other threads before, so I won't pretend the club is perfect, but even if we got in a top striker, we would still face the same problems of settling the side and building confidence in a pretty new team and having a manager that needs to learn at this level. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

19 points from 16 games should see us safe. If we continue our trajectory, but just sprinkle in results against the bigger teams at home, we should achieve it. 

Can you explain what you mean by "trajectory". We've got 6 points from our last 6 games overall, 6 points from our last 6 home games , and 4 points from our last 6 away games. None of this looks good enough for survival so we will need to improve, not rely on our current form.

Just now, briny_ear said:

Can you explain what you mean by "trajectory". We've got 6 points from our last 6 games overall, 6 points from our last 6 home games , and 4 points from our last 6 away games. None of this looks good enough for survival so we will need to improve, not rely on our current form.

That's exactly what I meant, 1 point per game. We just need a touch more than that, which we can get by marginally improving on our abysmal record against the bigger teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

We're basically averaged a point a game for the season. Obviously one less than that atm but win one of the next two and we'll be back to point a game.

38 points may not keep you up this season but it certainly won't mean instant relegation or being down with 3-4 games to play as happened in 15/16.

Finishing on 38 points after West Ham would mean nervously looking at phones to see what other teams have done on the final day, best to get to 40 just to be sure.

5 wins will keep us up I reckon, who knows if we'll be up to it as it will require at least one big scalp I think.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

We need to beat one of the big teams at home - Man U, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal

At least one I'd say. No guarentee at all we'll beat any of Wolves, Palace or Watford which on paper are our "easiest" home games left.

Bar a far better away form like say 3 wins which seems unlikely it will leave us short of the five wins we need to stand a fighting chance.

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

We need to beat one of the big teams at home - Man U, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal

Utd and Arsenal are both terrible.

Chelsea and Spurs good sides who are liable to slip-ups.

I'd say United are the best chance of a win at home, they will probably sign some great player in Jan though. We'll get nothing from Wolves, Chelsea, Spurs at home. Maybe a draw against arsenal. I doubt we'll beat Watford either whenever that prick Deeney plays against us it's like a hex. 

7 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I'd say United are the best chance of a win at home, they will probably sign some great player in Jan though. We'll get nothing from Wolves, Chelsea, Spurs at home. Maybe a draw against arsenal. I doubt we'll beat Watford either whenever that prick Deeney plays against us it's like a hex. 

That’s the spirit :)

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the spirit :)

While we certainly COULD, I think it unlikely. Spurs are inconsistent but you know they'll have a good day when they come to us. Wolves are like Leicester light and we saw how that turned out. We're just not intimidating as a team. Teams come to Villa Park expecting a win and are disappointed if they drop points, rather than hoping to nick one.