Jump to content
Adblockers - please click ×
Enda

Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Coloccini was a beast and was Newcastle best player this decade. Led them to success and remained a stalwart defender throughout his time there. 

Yes he overcome a poor start to become a solid defender in the end for them. Was probably past his best in 15-16 though as they were awful defensively that year (mainly McClaren was hopeless at organising it) and struggled even after Benitez came in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Sam sniffing around the Watford job. I’d back him to keep them up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jim said:

Big Sam sniffing around the Watford job. I’d back him to keep them up. 

He took Everton to 8th.

He isn't a bad manager.

Fans just get's fed up with his style of play eventually. But he is a good manager to steady and stabilize the ship then you get someone else in who can improve your style of play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Elton said:

I don’t think this 1st half table issue is a concern or due to fitness/tactics etc. It’s just a product of how well we have started against the best teams in the league.

It’s inevitable that Liverpool, Man C, Spurs, Arsenal etc will come at us hard in the last part of the games and the psychology of the game then changes.

Until yesterday to a degree we haven’t been good enough to hold out or get that next goal. The Man U game will give the team a lot more belief.

 

 

Belief. Key word. Anyone, at any level, in sport has to have belief to be successful. The strongest  foundation for belief is by knowing you’re good enough to operate at that level by virtue of results. This Villa team have just done that. It’s another step in the right direction.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Belief. Key word. Anyone, at any level, in sport has to have belief to be successful. The strongest  foundation for belief is by knowing you’re good enough to operate at that level by virtue of results. This Villa team have just done that. It’s another step in the right direction.  

But not all our signings were with us during Pre Season. So fitness might very well be an issue for some of the players.

When i look at Jack and Trez there is a big difference. Jack never seem to tire while Trez looks shot after 45 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But not all our signings were with us during Pre Season. So fitness might very well be an issue for some of the players.

When i look at Jack and Trez there is a big difference. Jack never seem to tire while Trez looks shot after 45 minutes.

thats because trez only has two speeds. he is either stock still or flat out. He's like an old school scalextric car

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

But not all our signings were with us during Pre Season. So fitness might very well be an issue for some of the players.

When i look at Jack and Trez there is a big difference. Jack never seem to tire while Trez looks shot after 45 minutes.

Goes without saying that some of our new players are taking time to adapt to the physical traits required in the Premier League. That’s also a factor. We’re into the hard part of the English season now when the games come thick and fast and the weather is at its most challenging, a difficult 3 months lay ahead for the likes of Wesley, Trezeguet, and Luiz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Watching crystal palace - Bournemouth. How are these two teams above us?!?!

They're only above us because we didn't beat either of them. If we had beat both of them we'd be knocking on the door of the champions league. Crazy margins this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Watching crystal palace - Bournemouth. How are these two teams above us?!?!

They both beat us, in ridiculous circumstances to be fair.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Watching crystal palace - Bournemouth. How are these two teams above us?!?!

Palace are miles better away from home, come on keep up. They'll probably win 3 home games all season and finish 9th.

Bournemouth are going through their annual winter slump but I'd expect them to finish 11-12th as ultimately they'll still beat likes of Southampton and Watford and get their key wins that way.

We are warming up now. Really they won't be much points difference between a team who finishes 8th and 14th this season imo so no reason why we can't be right in that group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palace are a bloody good team, they'll comfortably finish top half. Tonight has been pretty poor, but they've had 10 men since the 20th minute.

Crazy to think Ayew is running teams ragged for them, while Benteke can't get in the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bournemouth might be going the way of Stoke good for a few years but eventually get found out.

If I was Howe I would jump at managing Arsenal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Bournemouth might be going the way of Stoke good for a few years but eventually get found out.

If I was Howe I would jump at managing Arsenal.

I tend to only follow whatever league Villa are in, but Stoke potentially being relegated to League 1 is mind blowing to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Palace are miles better away from home, come on keep up. They'll probably win 3 home games all season and finish 9th.

Bournemouth are going through their annual winter slump but I'd expect them to finish 11-12th as ultimately they'll still beat likes of Southampton and Watford and get their key wins that way.

We are warming up now. Really they won't be much points difference between a team who finishes 8th and 14th this season imo so no reason why we can't be right in that group.

Heard a stat earlier that they have only won 8 games in the whole of 2019 that's a pretty poor stat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Heard a stat earlier that they have only won 8 games in the whole of 2019 that's a pretty poor stat!

People sometimes forget some details. Many people would've written off Bournemouth from a relegation battle (many did to Watford too). Even for Palace, their two wins against Burnley and Bournemouth were really important, because if they lost those they would have definitely been dragged down there. They tend to have a mini runs of wins, which gives them a huge lift.

Southampton could easily be above Everton the week. Bournemouth could be 2/3 points to relegation spots this week too. All of Burnley, Newcastle, Palace, West Ham, Sheff Utd could get dragged to the battle.

The thing is with the likes of Soton, they've been thrashed and stayed at bottom 3 for a while now. For them to get out of that, they'd need a huge run to be above midtable places so that people don't think automatically that they're in a relegation battle.

People are still doubting that Everton are in a long battle, but, if they found themselves far away coming January, A lot of a variables apart from quality would come to the equation, everybody would consider them a relegation contender by then.

It's somehow like our 2010/11 season. We weren't used to play for survival, we were down there for a huge amount of the season. We knew by then that our aim is to stay up. We were worried even after securing 42 points that season, because we weren't familiar with that kind of battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point in the season (and I know it's not half way yet)

We have played only 1 top half team at home
We have played only 1 bottom half team away

Only the current Top4 have scored more away goals than us  (Thank you Norwich) 

Edited by SirSteveUK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He took Everton to 8th.

8th is more or less Everton's permanent league position. The Hound is a decent manager though, point taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â