Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

So at this rate we'd finish on 40-42 points which basically is always good enough to finish a few spots above relegation. 

Ideally come January 2nd, we can be on 30 points. We have 5 matches in the next month that are winnable/must wins for survival. 

If we can manage to knick any points off Leicester, United, Chelsea, or Sheffield, I'd be very happy. 

30 points by new year would be amazing and pretty unlikely, would mean we'd need 5 wins and a draw from next 8 games. Can't see it given what we have in our next 4. If we did do it then really with a smart signing or two 50 + points would be a realistic target.

Getting to 25 points by Jan 1st would be a very good return for first half of the season imo and we'd only be 10 points or so off getting the required number to stay up.

44 minutes ago, useless said:

Just seen a stat that 'if games ended at half-time this season' we'd be third in the table with twenty-five points.

Here

I actually had a look at all the games and remarkably we have only conceded four league goals before half time all season, the two v Bournemouth, one v Brighton and also at Wolves. First half clean sheets v Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man.City.

What that shows is the players are taking on instructions and being really focused from the off and at worst we go in at 0-0 so we're very good frontrunners and also explains why our GD is pretty decent for a bottom half club.

The flip side is in the early season our intensity started to wear off after an hour and the better teams exposed this late on (also lack of depth on the bench in some areas). Man. United and Chelsea games will be interesting to see if we've improved in that regard.

Edit: I don't think we're as far away as many of us think. Two signings in January of the calibre of Young and Carew all those years ago and that would lift us to new heights I reckon. Very exciting period so let's hope we make the right decisions at a key time for once.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Looking at where we are I am still confident.  It's easy to see a run of 3 losses before Newcastle, but they were against teams in 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Over the last 6 games, only the top four have more wins than us.  We have won more than Utd, Arsenal, Spurs as well as our closer competition.

Utd away will be our best chance of winning there in years.  Chelsea away will be tough as will Leicester at home.  Sheffield away hard, but not frightening.  4 points from these will keep us very much on track is perfectly achievable IMO.

• Like 2

Before Sheffield United play us they play Wolves (a), Newcastle (h), and Norwich (a), so we'll be wanting them to win the Newcastle and Norwich games, when you consider who we're playing over the same period it might be a case of use needing them to win those games, never mind wanting.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Before Sheffield United play us they play Wolves (a), Newcastle (h), and Norwich (a), so we'll be wanting them to win the Newcastle and Norwich games, when you consider who we're playing over the same period it might be a case of use needing them to win those games, never mind wanting.

Really been enjoying your posts of late but this one confuses me.

Sheffield United are four points above us with two thirds of a 38 game season to go.

The only part of this post that resonates with me is that yes, it would be nice to know there's going to be three worse off teams than us.

But 4 point deficit with 75 points to play for does not equate to us being so far from Sheffield United that we don't still consider them a rival.

• Like 4

We need to build a big of a gap between us and the bottom three as possible, there's a chance that we might not pick up many or any points in the coming three fixtures, so we'll be needing those below us and immediately above us to be losing games during that period, even if we manage to pick up a few results against United, Chelsea and Leicester which I think we might, it's still better for us that the likes of Norwich lose their games, as we're trying to move as far away from the bottom three as possible. We will have plenty of time to catch up with Sheffield United, we still have to play them twice and they will have a dip in form at some point. In other words the aim is avoiding relegation not finishing above Sheffield United.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

there's a chance that we might not pick up many or any points in the coming three fixtures

I don't think we will pick up any pts from the nest 3 games. But i have a sneaky feeling we'll beat Sheff Utd.

Edited by villalad21

On 24/11/2019 at 17:55, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Said it at the time of his sacking, but I think it would be gross negligence for Man U to not swoop for Pochettino.

EDIT: Hopefully they do this afteR we hand them the defeat which breaks the camels back. lol

Do you?

I hope we defeat them and it's the straw that breaks the camels back and then they appoint someone totally unsuitable who is an even bigger disaster and they get relegated. 

I would laugh so hard I would lose some peepee. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Do you?

I hope we defeat them and it's the straw that breaks the camels back and then they appoint someone totally unsuitable who is an even bigger disaster and they get relegated. 

I would laugh so hard I would lose some peepee. 

They should keep going with the romance.

Giggs to replace OGS with Scholes as assistant.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, useless said:

We need to build a big of a gap between us and the bottom three as possible, there's a chance that we might not pick up many or any points in the coming three fixtures, so we'll be needing those below us and immediately above us to be losing games during that period, even if we manage to pick up a few results against United, Chelsea and Leicester which I think we might, it's still better for us that the likes of Norwich lose their games, as we're trying to move as far away from the bottom three as possible. We will have plenty of time to catch up with Sheffield United, we still have to play them twice and they will have a dip in form at some point. In other words the aim is avoiding relegation not finishing above Sheffield United.

I take your point.

What I'm saying is not that our aim is to finish above Sheffield United. Apologies if it comes off like that.

What I'm highlighting, is that you're saying we need certain results, and I'm not even sure we want them at this stage.

With 75 points to play for and us being 3 points out of the top half of the table, things are not yet established.

For all we know it could be Sheffield United in the bottom three come February, that's quite possible.

8 point turnaround when each team has 75 to play for isn't out of the question.

We stay clear of the relegation zone by getting results in our fixtures.

On 26/11/2019 at 02:27, the_eristic said:

I feel terrible for him tbh, he's gone from playing on his natural left side as an attacking mid in a league-winning, ball-playing Atlanta side coached by Tata Martino and partnered with his best friend, a slippery, aggressive, lethal finisher in Josef Martinez, to playing for a Rafa Benitez side on the up, to playing way out on the wing on his weaker side (and I mean weaker, he almost never played on the right for Atlanta or Lanus) with no support in an absolutely dour Steven f'ing Bruce side.

He took the money. 

I've been looking at the stats and apparently if we had won every game we have played this season, we would actually be top of the table, even above Liverpool.  Sure makes you think! 

So annoying really, shows how costly those defeats and draws have been. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I've been looking at the stats and apparently if we had won every game we have played this season, we would actually be top of the table, even above Liverpool.  Sure makes you think! 

So annoying really, shows how costly those defeats and draws have been. 

Amazing! I love a good stat.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Hopefully Tammy is out for a couple of games, wouldn't want it to be anything serious just a couple of weeks to recover please 😎

Would love the Villa fans to give him a good reception though. It would be nice if that could wait until he comes back to VP though, so no rush Tammy ;)

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Would love the Villa fans to give him a good reception though. It would be nice if that could wait until he comes back to VP though, so no rush Tammy ;)

No doubt at all he'll get a warm welcome from our fans but yep lets wait til VP sit this one out please Tammy!

5 hours ago, useless said:

Pretty confident Everton and West Ham will stay below us in that period. Everton have Leicester and Liverpool away and Chelsea at home (then Man. United away the week after). Can only see them getting one draw from that.

West Ham have aways at Chelsea and Wolves which I think they'll lose both. Could get something at home to Arsenal though with probably a new manager in place.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

It's pretty unlikely that the current bottom 3 will remain the bottom 3 for the rest of the season. We still want the ten or so teams that can conceivably go down to draw against each other as much as possible.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think we will pick up any pts from the nest 3 games. But i have a sneaky feeling we'll beat Sheff Utd.

I think we’ll lose next two but beat Leicester. 

Actually scrap that. We’re getting something at Old Trafford too!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa