Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 hours ago, Farlz said:

Very easy tonight, there's no way Newcastle won't be in trouble this season with the strikers/attackers they have. Joelinton, Carroll and Gayle were hilariously bad, Almiron was useless and Saint-Maximin doesn't have any control over his legs. Him spinning off the pitch was a particular highlight. 

Disagree about Carroll, he’s very talented but probably can’t last 30 minutes without getting injured. 

Saint Maximin is very similar to Traore when at us. At the moment he is too quick for his own good. If he slowed down a bit and put more thought into it he’d be a very good player. 

The whole league is very tight. Spurs will move back to top 6 and I expect Shef Utd will drop a bit. Anyone from 6 th down will be in a battle to stay up all season. 

Edited by mikeyp102

56 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

home_away_table.thumb.jpg.3cda91f0ef50444e8b129e57543ef608.jpg

9th on home form, 20th on away form.

I said a few weeks ago, that winning most of our six pointers at home will be enough to keep us up, and then we just need to nick the odd win and draw on the road.

Our away form has been slightly affected by the quality of the teams we've faced (Spurs, Arsenal, City, Wolves are all top half). What would do our players the world of good is winning a game as underdogs, which we haven't really done yet. Man Utd are very beatable IMO, and it would be nice to be able to go into the Chelsea and Leicester games with a result at Old Trafford under our belts.

Funny how we were so dominant in that one away win we had.

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Disagree about Carroll, he’s very talented but probably can’t last 30 minutes without getting injured. 

Saint Maximin is very similar to Tralee when at us. At the moment he is too quick for his own good. If he slowed down a bit and put more thought into it he’d be a very good player. 

The whole league is very tight. Spurs will move back to top 6 and I expect Shef Utd will drop a bit. Anyone from 6 th down will be in a battle to stay up all season. 

That guy is rapid holy hell.

Would be some player if he had more of an end product

Edited by villalad21

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

Almiron was useless

I feel terrible for him tbh, he's gone from playing on his natural left side as an attacking mid in a league-winning, ball-playing Atlanta side coached by Tata Martino and partnered with his best friend, a slippery, aggressive, lethal finisher in Josef Martinez, to playing for a Rafa Benitez side on the up, to playing way out on the wing on his weaker side (and I mean weaker, he almost never played on the right for Atlanta or Lanus) with no support in an absolutely dour Steven f'ing Bruce side.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the_eristic said:

I feel terrible for him tbh, he's gone from playing on his natural left side as an attacking mid in a league-winning, ball-playing Atlanta side coached by Tata Martino and partnered with his best friend, a slippery, aggressive, lethal finisher in Josef Martinez, to playing for a Rafa Benitez side on the up, to playing way out on the wing on his weaker side (and I mean weaker, he almost never played on the right for Atlanta or Lanus) with no support in an absolutely dour Steven f'ing Bruce side.

Nah, f**k him :D

• Haha 4

2 points from the next 3 games would keep us on track for a point a game but that's a difficult ask to be fair considering the opposition. 

If we don't then a win at Sheffield would be really nice, however there are 9 points up for grab the rest of December after Sheff Utd.............imagine going into January after a 3 game winning streak the latter half of December? Even January the only big test in Citeh at VP the other games are definitely not beyond us to get results! 

Fancy us to beat anyone at home but our away record is appalling. Worst in the league. Having said that as mentioned already most of our defeats have been against top half teams so it will be interesting to see how we manage against the teams around us.

I’ve been saying all season I’ve seen more than enough to think we’ll stay up. But the caveat for that is Jack staying fit.   

The table is so tight. No team is falling away at the moment although it’s looking bleak for Watford. 11 points separating 15 teams is crazy. 

I like the rebuild that’s happening at villa

There was so much to do when promoted that it was impossible to rebuild a complete squad. But considering every player we have signed (apart from maybe Hause) as contributing in the league just shows how much work was needed and how well the club has done with the signings. Only area we fell short was up front and maybe the wings but I’m sure that will be rectified in January even if it’s a short term fix. 

This season is all about staying up for me and then we continue the rebuild by creating competition for the full backs, wingers and and up front.

I trust the club and Smith.  I think we’re in great hands.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Elton said:

Despite being bottom of the away table, only the top 4 and Spurs have scored more away goals than us.

Goal difference could be key which is why it’s a bit frustrating we didn’t score more yesterday. Still we have the join best goal difference in the bottom half of the table.

The goal difference of the bottom 3 is appalling. I think that’s your 3 relegated teams right there.

• Like 1

So at this rate we'd finish on 40-42 points which basically is always good enough to finish a few spots above relegation. 

Ideally come January 2nd, we can be on 30 points. We have 5 matches in the next month that are winnable/must wins for survival. 

If we can manage to knick any points off Leicester, United, Chelsea, or Sheffield, I'd be very happy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

So at this rate we'd finish on 40-42 points which basically is always good enough to finish a few spots above relegation. 

Ideally come January 2nd, we can be on 30 points. We have 5 matches in the next month that are winnable/must wins for survival. 

If we can manage to knick any points off Leicester, United, Chelsea, or Sheffield, I'd be very happy. 

I think Leicester will be tougher than United or Chelsea oddly enough, although predicting games you'll take points from is always a hiding to nothing.  We'll spring a surprise in one of those 3 games, and I think we'll beat Sheffield united too.

13 games with a completely new squad is still very very early for a team to gel, especially when you consider that neither fullback started the first 4/5 games. 

Given that, the performances so far and the points accrued against the opposition we have faced, I'm confident we can stay up. 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

I think Leicester will be tougher than United or Chelsea oddly enough, although predicting games you'll take points from is always a hiding to nothing.  We'll spring a surprise in one of those 3 games, and I think we'll beat Sheffield united too.

Yeah, Leicester are smashing it at the moment. Sheffield will be a tough game. Hopefully someone will give them a battering between now and when we play them. They are a confidence side.