Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Some random twitter source is saying Silva to be sacked tomorrow and Unsworth back in as caretaker for a few weeks.

It's interesting with the timing. If Everton put in a new manager they basically have to play the top 6 over next month so much reduced chance of getting a bounce. Same for West Ham.

We were beyond saving when Garde came in but one of the things that did him was we played Man. City, Everton away and Arsenal at home in his first four games so we couldn't get that little run going Sherwood for example did the previous season.

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Some random twitter source is saying Silva to be sacked tomorrow and Unsworth back in as caretaker for a few weeks.

Unsworth will leave without actually playing a game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Arsenal and Everton failling to beat Southampton and Norwich now stings all the more, if only they'd have managed to get wins we'd be six points clear of the bottom three now. Still four points isn't bad, hopefully today's win can give us some confidence going into the next set of fixtures.

• Like 1

Very easy tonight, there's no way Newcastle won't be in trouble this season with the strikers/attackers they have. Joelinton, Carroll and Gayle were hilariously bad, Almiron was useless and Saint-Maximin doesn't have any control over his legs. Him spinning off the pitch was a particular highlight. 

Could've done much better, it was our best chance to repay them for the 6-0 couple of years ago. Which could've been helpful for our GD too. Otherwise it was a great and a comfortable win. I don't think teams respect other teams more than us at home. Ofcourse Newcastle would've done the same all matches, but my god, they were sitting back even when they were 2-0 down.

I can't remember us surrendering a game this season as we did at Wolves (obviously we were unlucky).  Otherwise we would've got back to Palace game, we weren't bad for the first half at City.

We're going slowly to comfortable places. We were in trouble when we played Everton, we won that. Then we were sneaking the odd draw which kept us in touch with teams outside of bottom 3. Until we've beaten Norwich and Brighton. Which secured us a place above relegation places before we went to the most difficult 3 games run whole season (we were unlucky to get 0 out of them). Now we've gave ourselves a breat before a tough set of fixtures. Any win here could define our whole season. Still we could afford to lose all and still be out of relegation places.

So basically as it stands now, we're doing well when it matters, we're still shaky, we still have our own mistakes, but we're definitely doing well. Much better than most of teams around us.

Home form is very solid.

Three clean sheets and 11 points from 21, we could easily be unbeaten but for that stage freight opening ten minutes v Bournemouth and not properly defending a corner v Liverpool.

We're certainly good enough to get a win or two v some of the bigger names after xmas imo.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Arsenal and Everton failling to beat Southampton and Norwich now stings all the more, if only they'd have managed to get wins we'd be six points clear of the bottom three now. Still four points isn't bad, hopefully today's win can give us some confidence going into the next set of fixtures.

I don't thing Everton losing to Norwich is a bad result. Actually it could turn around to be a good one. I don't think that Norwich are as good as Watford or Soton anyway.

Everton   have a tough fixtures, same goes with West Ham. Even if they survived, having as much teams down there can only give us confidence.

We're  only 1 point away from the mighty Crystal Palace.

I  think from midtables teams, only Wolves and Burnley showed that they might've avoid a relegation battle. Even Burnley I'm not sure, but they're hard to beat.

Fair play to Sheffield Utd, I don't think I could go as far to say they will avoid it, but they're in a good position to.

Other 10 teams haven't showed enough consistency for that. Actually we could be the one as when you look at it,

Since the Bournemouth games, We've only lost to Crystal Palace, Arsenal, Man City and Wolves away. Liverpool at home. Wolves games we had our issues, Palace as bad as we were, we were rubbed. The other three aren't and indicator to the season. We've been solid in all other games. We had our mistakes, we weren't great at times, but we were definitely hard to beat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Home form is very solid.

Three clean sheets and 11 points from 21, we could easily be unbeaten but for that stage freight opening ten minutes v Bournemouth and not properly defending a corner v Liverpool.

We're certainly good enough to get a win or two v some of the bigger names after xmas imo.

Away form is tricky, first game at Spurs (hard even mentally), then at Palace, bad but robbed. Then Arsenal, bad result, but still not an easy fixture. We then showed what we're made of at Norwich. But then you find City (hardest fixture in the league), finally, we surrendered the game to Wolves, we didn't have belief with all absences we had. We were mentally losing that.

So in reality we'll still need time to judge our away form.

Just now, abdulaziz1 said:

Away form is tricky, first game at Spurs (hard even mentally), then at Palace, bad but robbed. Then Arsenal, bad result, but still not an easy fixture. We then showed what we're made of at Norwich. But then you find City (hardest fixture in the league), finally, we surrendered the game to Wolves, we didn't have belief with all absences we had. We were mentally losing that.

So in reality we'll still need time to judge our away form.

If we get 30 points at home we'll stay up regardless of how bad we are away.

We've just had a tough schedule on the road, Norwich was most winnable game and we won that well. From January things will flip and we'll have tough on paper home games and plenty of aways to bottom half teams so important we're on 20 + points by the time that starts.

I think at some point Sheffield United are going to drop down the division, might not be enough for them to get relegated but for all the praise they've been getting and the talk of how we need to play as they do, I think we can finish above them, we're actually closer to them than we are to the bottom three.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Very easy tonight, there's no way Newcastle won't be in trouble this season with the strikers/attackers they have. Joelinton, Carroll and Gayle were hilariously bad, Almiron was useless and Saint-Maximin doesn't have any control over his legs. Him spinning off the pitch was a particular highlight. 

Blame the tactics for that mainly. They had a counter attack 2 vs 3 after about 25 minutes and they were exhausted as running from 90 yards each time to attack takes its toll

It's bonkers that a win next week could put us ahead of Spurs.

The table is massively split already.  The top 4 have won from twice as many as up to 3 times as many as Wolves in 5th.

The Premier League need to look at Scotland to see what happenes when a small number of teams utterly dominate the rest of the league.  It's much more entertaining and healthy to have competition throughout. 

• Like 1

home_away_table.thumb.jpg.3cda91f0ef50444e8b129e57543ef608.jpg

9th on home form, 20th on away form.

I said a few weeks ago, that winning most of our six pointers at home will be enough to keep us up, and then we just need to nick the odd win and draw on the road.

Our away form has been slightly affected by the quality of the teams we've faced (Spurs, Arsenal, City, Wolves are all top half). What would do our players the world of good is winning a game as underdogs, which we haven't really done yet. Man Utd are very beatable IMO, and it would be nice to be able to go into the Chelsea and Leicester games with a result at Old Trafford under our belts.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I think at some point Sheffield United are going to drop down the division, might not be enough for them to get relegated but for all the praise they've been getting and the talk of how we need to play as they do, I think we can finish above them, we're actually closer to them than we are to the bottom three.

Interesting thing with Sheffield United is their next 6 fixtures are very winnable:

• Wolves away
  • Newcastle home
  • Norwich away
  • Villa home
  • Brighton away
  • Watford home

So either these will drag them back into the relegation mix, or they could be going into Christmas in 5th place with a pretty hefty points tally.

I always thought Sheffield Utd's problem would be injuries over the winter exposing their lack of squad depth, but they might have done so well by then (30+ points isn't out of the question) that it won't matter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's bonkers that a win next week could put us ahead of Spurs.

The table is massively split already.  The top 4 have won from twice as many as up to 3 times as many as Wolves in 5th.

The Premier League need to look at Scotland to see what happenes when a small number of teams utterly dominate the rest of the league.  It's much more entertaining and healthy to have competition throughout. 

Agree although tbf Leicester gives me hope.

Anyone still think we'll get relegated then?

If if if....we can find a big performance in one of the next 3 games and actually show some bottle and hold onto a lead when we come under sustained pressure then I actually reckon we could then push on and be on something like 25-26 points by end of Burnley game on 1st Jan.

That would ensure a pretty comfortable second half of the season and we could target top half and also be more attractive in January transfer window.

The shock win is only thing that's been missing so far this season.