Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

You assume wrong, and having witnessed every Reina performance since he joined us I’m happy in my opinion of his performances. Several times against Saints he played hospital balls to both full backs.

I’d say your assumption that I’d prefer a keeper to just lump it forward is embarrassing. 

Fair enough, I made an assumption based on your previous comments and the thousands that scream at Reina at VP. Apologies for that, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that despite disagreeing!

Edited by wedge
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, wedge said:

So Nyland has never made errors then? Wasn't long ago Villa fans were hating on him as well which I thought was unfair. Just goes to show the knee-jerk nature of our fanbase. Every player is a human being who makes mistakes. Like I said if you were never going to play a Villa player again because they've made a mistake we wouldn't be able to field a team!

Of course but he’s young and he was brilliant against Leicester in the cup. With Reina we are looking at a very small sample of games and the amount of mistakes and errors of judgement have been rediculously high. I don’t care how good he was. It’s now that matters 

57 minutes ago, wedge said:

Fair enough, I made an assumption based on your previous comments and the thousands that scream at Reina at VP. Apologies for that, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that despite disagreeing!

Fair play Wedge, appreciate your response and apologies for the curtness of mine.

I would add that Nyland this season has been much better than the Nyland we witnessed last season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Of course but he’s young and he was brilliant against Leicester in the cup. With Reina we are looking at a very small sample of games and the amount of mistakes and errors of judgement have been rediculously high. I don’t care how good he was. It’s now that matters 

He is almost 30

Good to be looking at the football side of things again. Enjoyed the team discussions from @OxfordVillan and @nick76 👍

I personally think neither Reina or Nyland are good enough for us and I would feel much more confident with either Heaton or even Steer going into the final stages of the season. If I had to plump out of the "fit" ones, I would probably hedge for Nyland, we've signed Pepe a few seasons too late IMO.

I would definitely be tempted to play 3-5-2 against the blades, since Snodgrass fired that last minute winner we have played them 3 times, losing twice, and somehow managing a comeback out of nowhere for a point in the VP game last season. But for long spells in all three games we have been totally outplayed and I think a lot to do with that is not being able to cope with their style of play / formation. I really hope Dean has learned from previous games and we can be a lot more effective. 

With this in mind I would probably go for Nyland - Engels, Konsa, Mings - Guilbert, McGinn, Nakamba, Grealish, Targett - Davis and Samatta.   

Not sure if this would be my team moving forward mind - Looking at it on paper though makes it evident that we need some serious strengthening in the summer window (if we get one ;) )

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Nyland turn 30 in 3 months.

But yeah I don't think we should play Reina as he's likely to be gone by 30/6 anyway.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Nyland turn 30 in 3 months.

But yeah I don't think we should play Reina as he's likely to be gone by 30/6 anyway.

Thought he was younger to be honest but still young for a keeper

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's amazing how often people think of Nyland as young. I honestly don't know where it comes from? Is it because he just looks young?

He does look about 12 in fairness

• Haha 1

Reina is far too risky, proved against Southampton and Leicester that he is willing to play dangerously at the back and we cant afford to give away cheap goals in this run in to stand any sort of chance of survival. He says he cares but has simply been care-less. Nyland for me deserves a run. His distribution is superb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

It's amazing how often people think of Nyland as young. I honestly don't know where it comes from? Is it because he just looks young?

Yes he looks early 20s so I assumed he was 

7 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Reina is far too risky, proved against Southampton and Leicester that he is willing to play dangerously at the back and we cant afford to give away cheap goals in this run in to stand any sort of chance of survival. He says he cares but has simply been care-less. Nyland for me deserves a run. His distribution is superb

Can't Dean just tell him to not do it ?

Blaming players for something that is a result of instructions from the coach is a bit unfair. Dean want us to take risk and play out from the back, it's a part of his football philosophy.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

I don't think Reina would stay if he wasn't no 1.

And it doesn't make much sense for the club to pay £50k+ pw to a guy who has been poor and could see 0 mins.

Integrity, everyone, we promise.

The Premier League is close to presenting a provisional fixture list for the remainder of the season to its clubs, with the unlucky ones facing a sequence of three games in seven days.

The league’s football operations team are working to finalise a schedule that features full match rounds on six long weekends, beginning with Friday 19 June to Monday 22 June, and three midweek slots, incorporating games on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The intention is for the midweek rounds to be 23-25 June, 7-9 July and 14-16 July.

The article confirms that Newcastle have been given permission to travel more than 90 minutes for fixtures which goes against safety advice. 🙄

Edited by The_Steve
  • Thanks 1

If Steer is fit he should start. He's our second choice, with Heaton being the clear first choice. He's done nothing but prove himself whereas Nyland and Reina have proven they're not up to it.

• Like 1