Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

23 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I honestly believe we will play better without a crowd

Me too. Our away support is vociferous and fanatical no matter what's going on on the pitch. Our home support can sometimes reflect the nervousness they are feeling onto the players if things aren't going well at times in my experience. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I honestly believe we will play better without a crowd

We will soon find out. I take the opposite view myself, I think that when Villa Park is rocking, we can pull out some very good performances. I hope that you are proved right though. ;)

• Like 1

The difference in our results in night games at Villa Park and games that kick off in the days is erm...night and day.

We'll miss the huge advantage we get with those evening atmospheres. Everton this season was as good as I can remember.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

PL clubs have been told games will still go ahead even if they have a depleted squad: “It seems as long as you have 15 fit players including a GK from your main squad or your U21s you will be deemed to have a team fit enough to fulfil the fixture.”

if we end up with a dozen players catching covid and having to put a team of kids out then i officially am done with footy. i mean it too. i will not put another penny of my money into the game.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The difference in our results in night games at Villa Park and games that kick off in the days is erm...night and day.

We'll miss the huge advantage we get with those evening atmospheres. Everton this season was as good as I can remember.

Strange game that everton one. The only good game Jota played. 

14 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Without that additional inspiration from the Villa Park faithful I cannot see us getting enough points to stay up. We need divine intervention. 

image.jpeg.2ce72740f8697886b1acfbfe2cc7d799.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

if we end up with a dozen players catching covid and having to put a team of kids out then i officially am done with footy. i mean it too. i will not put another penny of my money into the game.

This whole thing really will be survival of the fittest. Literally.

Edited by villalad21

I still don't get how the track and trace thing will work with football, aren't you supposed to get quarantined for 2 weeks for just being in contact with someone who has tested positive?  That would mean entire squads surely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, romavillan said:

The best spell of form is between matchday 19 and matchday 24 though TRO, granted we've lost four on the bounce after that but the results don't support what you are saying.. Going to be a lottery now, beat sheffield united and that could kick us on. Lose that and I think it'll be a huge blow. We need 3 wins from somewhere and a draw or 3!

I think the results do support what i am saying......your selection of 5 games is too narrow and not representitive enough.

in the first 14 games we lost 7 ,half of the season to date......the second 14 games taking us to 28 we lost 10.....how does that not support my point, that we have got worse.?...during the first half we won 4, the second half we won 3......even accruing points, first half 15' second half 10.

just about every bit of data supports my point.

Edited by TRO

5 hours ago, John said:

On Sky today they have said that, "The majority of teams in the bottom half of the Premier League want relegation scrapped if the 2019/20 season has to be curtailed"

The 20 clubs are to vote on what to do if the season has to be curtailed at a shareholders' meeting on Thursday. The PL are recommending the points-per-game formula to work out league placings if the season has to be cancelled, due to a second wave of coronavirus infections or a new lockdown. 

One club owner says he would vote for scrapping relegation even though the FA ruled it out last month. "We would vote for no relegation if the season is curtailed," he said. "There are up to 10 clubs who think the same thing."The formula would be adopted and used in the future if a season has to be finished early. The recommendation needs the support of 14 clubs in a vote in order to be added to the Premier League's rules. 

With the prospect of the three clubs currently just above the relegation places finding themselves in one of those places should we or Bournemouth hit the ground running on restart, I really can't now see them voting for a plan that could now see them relegated, rather than the current bottom three, which would have happened before restart. The same would be the case with an eye on next season. Half of the PL can't be sure that they wouldn't be in the bottom 3 at some point of time next season, so I can't see the PL getting it's 14 votes.   

It looks like self-interest, might at last result in the right decision being reached, if the season can't be completed. Rick Parry may have threatened legal action if there is no relegation and promotion between the Premier League and the Championship, claiming that there would be "outrage". He really is a sandwich short of a picnic, isn't he?:rolleyes:

You cannot relegate a team with 10 outstanding games, without completing the season....even the terms under which they are expecting to complete is questionable.

Blimey, we got promoted, due to a 10 game run.....thats how form can change.

They are clambouring around like a bunch of turkeys......all they want to do is give Liverpool the title....they have no interest in the rest.

The season has become a shambles and it is totally unfair to relegate any team, under the circumstances.

even the vote is questionable.....why would turkeys vote for Xmas?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still don't get how the track and trace thing will work with football, aren't you supposed to get quarantined for 2 weeks for just being in contact with someone who has tested positive?  That would mean entire squads surely.

I think the amount of testing they do circumnavigates that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

556 Deaths reported today in the UK.  Maybe some catch up from the weekend but still that’s crazy....16 days until footy starts again.

Isn't it 111 deaths???

Edited by AVTuco

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

The Government briefing said 111 but it’s reported elsewhere that its 556... so I’m confused too.

I had a look into it and the total deaths has increased by 556 deaths but 111 additional deaths today so they must have uplifted previous days.  I’m assuming then how you report daily deaths make the difference either actual deaths or variant to total deaths yesterday.  

Total deaths today is 39,045 on both methods to prove this.

Yesterday total deaths was 38,489 but new deaths today was 111, so 445 deaths must be catch up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I had a look into it and the total deaths has increased by 556 deaths but 111 additional deaths today so they must have uplifted previous days.  I’m assuming then how you report daily deaths make the difference either actual deaths or variant to total deaths yesterday.  

Total deaths today is 39,045 on both methods to prove this.

Yesterday total deaths was 38,489 but new deaths today was 111, so 445 deaths must be catch up.

Just came across this article. You’re right essentially. 

• Thanks 1

Death figures

Probably going off-topic here, but the Govt can mess with the presentation of figures all they like but they can’t change the rolling 7-day average. A couple of days ago the Deputy Chief Medical Officer said she would be concerned if the figures flatlined for 5 days. 

It’s now looking like 7 days on the Govt’s own chart (wonder how long before this chart disappears from the presentations?)

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1