Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Latest BBC report seems to be thawing on the idea that the season will be voided if its not possible to finish by 30th June.  They are talking about players contracts and clubs kit and commercial deals.  

Also mentions people feeling that the 2020/20201 season is more important now.  

The penny is finally dropping I think.  

I read if that happens the Premier League will have to pay back over 700 mil in tv revenue. They really don't want it to happen!

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Could be a case where next season we could see dramatically reduced crowds in grounds to allow for safe spacing. If Villa park had 15000 fans they’d still be a decent atmosphere. Something has got to give. Football has to survive somehow. It’s too easy to say clubs that have been around for 100 years or more will go. 

Why does football has to survive somehow? It will obviously survive but doesn't have to straight away or in current form. I dont get this urgency. Why do you suddenly need to have 15000 people inside Villa Park.

Football is a huge part of my life; I have a season ticket, I play and I coach, but to me it is pretty much the least important thing right now. 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The true strength of English football is not the premier league, it’s the entire football pyramid.

Theres no other league on the planet that has teams pulling in 20,000 attendances in their 3rd tier divisions, then you consider the structure and support right down to like tiers 7 and 8, it’s totally incomparable with any other country (to my knowledge), a fact accentuated by the Championship having higher average attendances than a lot of 1st tier divisions elsewhere.

Sadly, this is what we’re most likely to lose out of this current situation with so many of those clubs already operating at close to breaking point.

A stat I saw a couple of years ago had the championship as 5th highest attended league in europe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Why does football has to survive somehow? It will obviously survive but doesn't have to straight away or in current form. I dont get this urgency. Why do you suddenly need to have 15000 people inside Villa Park.

Football is a huge part of my life; I have a season ticket, I play and I coach, but to me it is pretty much the least important thing right now. 

Not everybody likes football either, if thats case others will argue for Rugby or Formula 1 or even Eastenders

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Covid-19 is deadly serious not disputing that at all. To put into context 180 thousand people die of heart attacks and cancer a year in UK. On average 17000 people die of normal flu a year in England alone.  Football isn't important in the greater scheme of things but life will go on after this. As far as 15000 people being in villa park. I wasn't talking about any time soon. Next year maybe!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We have another 3 weeks of this at least. I don't know the answers but there will have to be some relaxation in social distancing to get the country back on its feet. Its going to be little bit at a time. The Govt haven't worked it out yet so how are we suppose to. 

I have friends in Spain, they have said they’ve been further locked down until mid May. They are known to be two weeks ahead of us in this virus crisis, so I wouldn’t think we’ll be having restrictions lifted here much before June, at the earliest. In France, Macron has further extended bans into mid July. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/14/tour-de-france-on-hold-after-macron-extends-outdoor-sports-ban-till-july-cycling

The Tour De France is pushed back, and I like that the organisers are saying it won’t go ahead without the fans being able to line the roads. Spot on. 

Just now, Zatman said:

Not everybody likes football either, if thats case others will argue for Rugby or Formula 1 or even Eastenders

Haha. I kept thinking of comparing football with eastenders while I was writing the above, how football kind of isn't even a real thing, particularly just as a supporter who attends games for entertainment purposes. Playing and coaching it personally is slightly different I guess, but not important at all given what's happening.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes and if theres no football for a year or more,  a lot of people will turn to other hobbies and football could become far less important than before. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes and if theres no football for a year or more,  a lot of people will turn to other hobbies and football could become far less important than before. 

so what. People lives are at risk, football was really not that important before

Edited by Zatman

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

so what. People lives are at risk, football was really not that important before

You misunderstood me.  I was suggesting that is a good thing that people turn to other things. Since sky money came around. Ticket prices have gone up and up beyond the level of inflation, players wages are out of control. 

• Like 2

Yeah it is true really. When you have this pandemic going on football is not really that important.

I mean if is the choice of living or paying some footballer who doesnt even know you exist i know which option id go for.

4 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

It’s the British mentality that creates the British game, that creates the product that is the Premier League. The biggest and most watched league in the world of football. Take away the intensity of the fans, the intensity of the players, and you take away the very ingredient that sells it across the entire world. There’s a reason why it’s the most popular league, by far, throughout the world. It’s a British ingredient that no other country can replicate. 

Really? I have to admit in Norway there's always been interest in English football, but I think it's very little to do with what you say. The main reason has been accessability and familiarity. I think to some degree the type of football has also been fairly close to what we're used to in Norway, just better lol, so I'll give you a point there.

When I grew up in the early 90's, Serie A was bigger product that the English league. Then the PL got its engine going, but it had very little to do with the British mentality. It was mostly cause it was what we could watch on TV. 

I like the English culture, and got friends and family over there, but I do however think the footballing side in the stands have gotten pretty average the last 20 years. From a pure atmosphere point of view I prefer football in Germany. Union Berlin have given me better match day experiences the last few years than I've ever had any where else. 

And the intensity of the players doesn't exist any more. It's a long time since you had the proper English tackles and game intensity that you felt connected to. Now they are all diving all over the place, and I can't really imagine a league filled with more drama queens than the PL. I guess you could argue the Spanish league and the Italian league, but I watch both of those leagues and I can't see much difference. Some Italians are still pure bled Italians and will roll 15 times for the softest challenge, but you got those in the PL now as well.  It started way way back, maybe 25 years ago when they started protecting the goalkeepers on the international stage, and it just got worse in England after that. 

But after 30 years it's hard to stop following it. So I will follow English football to the day I die methinks. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

I think football is important......let me explain.

Not compared to the lives that being lost, the first responders putting their life on the line, not to the families that are grieving or going through so much...this we can all agree on.

For me it’s important for the future, the hope and dreams of the future.  The people deciding footballs fate aren’t on the front lines of this pandemic so should be focusing on making football better, safer and planning that when time is right that football is phased back in and how. 

Life is about living, about family, about friends, about travelling, enjoying hobbies including football.  We have to have something to live for.

We all have our part to play in this.  The first responders are doing a fantastic job, the majority of people are doing the social distancing, even politicians are doing their part.  People need to prepare for the next phases whatever they may be and have the problem of not knowing timing so they need to be flexible.  Whether that is this June or June next year, who knows.

But football is important, just as gigs, concerts, other sports because they are a future later phase of this pandemic.  When we arrive it means we are at the latter stages so is great progress compared to now.  

It’s not important now I agree for the vast majority of people...the people running the game it should be their focus, in the right way because one day it will be important to people again.  It’s also hope to people that we may get back to some normality in the future.

• Like 1

I really missed football when games stopped a month ago.

The longer this has gone on the less I miss it .Maybe it’s because other things that our dominating our thoughts at the moment are more important.

The whole thing with enormous salaries and transfer fees seems incongruous currently.

While people die in their hundreds every day the thought of playing games seems ridiculous.It would be like the league continuing during the Second World War.

As time progresses my feeling is that the year will be cancelled. I originally thought that league would restart, but not anymore. Just how relegation & promotion will be dealt with I have no idea. As always it will come down to money !!

8 minutes ago, useless said:

In the championship in Scotland Partick Thistle were bottom of the table but had a game in hand which if they'd have won would have lifted them out of the relegation zone, but they're going to be relegated anyway, and have decided not to take legal action.

^^^^ Significant because we also find ourselves in the relegation zone with a game in hand.

Edited by useless

Technically all 3 relegation placed teams, given they 'could' escape those spots, can sue for loss of income on some basis, or at least put it to the test potentially resulting in the premier league having to dish out 3 x £100m at least. With that potential exposure (and the risk that comes with no certainty of a precedent in recent times in terms of a legal ruling) well, I think they'll probably not bother. Much less risky to have 2 extra teams next season, and the extra games and the income that replaces. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, useless said:

^^^^ Significant because we also find ourselves in the relegation zone with a game in hand.

Yeah but money difference is huge, Villa owners wouldn’t accept it without a massive fight.  There is too much to lose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Technically all 3 relegation placed teams, given they 'could' escape those spots, can sue for loss of income on some basis, or at least put it to the test potentially resulting in the premier league having to dish out 3 x £100m at least. With that potential exposure (and the risk that comes with no certainty of a precedent in recent times in terms of a legal ruling) well, I think they'll probably not bother. Much less risky to have 2 extra teams next season, and the extra games and the income that replaces. 

Plus at any point since January the bottom three has changed regularly between a few teams.  It’s just a snapshot at this point and not a full season and we have a game in hand.  To arbitrarily relegate because of a snapshot part way through a season is bonkers, surely that would have to be the last resort and even then would be legally challenged.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Plus at any point since January the bottom three has changed regularly between a few teams.  It’s just a snapshot at this point and not a full season and we have a game in hand.  To arbitrarily relegate because of a snapshot part way through a season is bonkers, surely that would have to be the last resort and even then would be legally challenged.

Yeah I'd like to think a sense of fairness came into it, given that's supposed to be an inherent characteristic of the game itself. But for sure, legally there is no precedent - on this scale - the prem would have to be very certain of the financial outcomes of relegating people like NSWE - I mean they have unlimited resources to fight this. If it happens, so be it, but I for one would love to see a league of 22 next season and not only because we'd have stayed up. 

• Like 1