Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Shoooorely the 2 metre distance rule will have to be officially lifted before any game can happen behind closed doors or not? Can't have one rule for football and another for everyone else. I think they're all just waiting until it's impossible to complete the season before next season starts, before they void it. 

I think our defence have been observing the social distancing rule for most of the season, so we won’t be any worse off for it.

• Haha 3

Having moved the Euros and not cancelling is the issue. Next season has to finish so the they can take place.

Top players will have to finish this season, then almost immediately play the following season, then the Euros, then the following season, then the World Cup and then the following season with very little rest

If they must finish this season it could mean some players playing 60-70 games in less time than is normally allowed for one season. Not driven by money at all.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I literally don't have enough fingers to count the number of times this joke has been done on this thread 🤪

I think our defence have been observing the social distancing rule for most of the season, so we won't be any worse off for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Having moved the Euros and not cancelling is the issue. Next season has to finish so the they can take place.

Top players will have to finish this season, then almost immediately play the following season, then the Euros, then the following season, then the World Cup and then the following season with very little rest

If they must finish this season it could mean some players playing 60-70 games in less time than is normally allowed for one season. Not driven by money at all.

Plus that World Cup will be during the winter months 🤦‍♂️

its all a big mess. Dont know the solution

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue

I think playing behind closed doors away from home will help us as we havebeen pathetic away from home.

But we have more games at home so we lose a advantage there. I think a huge problem even behind closed doors is how do you stop fans going down to the stadiums?

You can see a few thousand heading outside 

• Like 1

As things stand the most likely options in my opinion are, the PL will:

- Play all of the remaining games in front of empty stadiums (for the "integrity" of the league but primarily for the television money).

- Cancel the season (deciding the the final places on points achieved to date and anticipated points from each club's remaining games)  

- Declare the season null & void (with no relegation or promotion). 

The third option is the decent thing to do, so they won't do that. The first is what I expect they will 100% want to do and it would take the government to stop them doing it, in my opinion. I had been wondering where the second option might leave us, so have done a quick calculation.

Using the points as they now stand and each team's average points per home & away game, this gave the following final bottom six:

Brighton 39.37, Bournemouth 35.73, Watford 35.73, West Ham 35.55, Villa 34.98, Norwich 27.95. 

That option is a bit crude, decides relegation places on less than a point and like playing 6 games in front of an empty Villa Park in my opinion, it doesn't look very promising from our point of view, but I just had to have a look!  :(

Edited by John
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, John said:

As things stand the most likely options in my opinion are, the PL will:

- Play all of the remaining games in front of empty stadiums (for the "integrity" of the league but primarily for the television money).

- Cancel the season (deciding the the final places on points achieved to date and anticipated points from each club's remaining games)  

- Declare the season null & void (with no relegation or promotion). 

The third option is the decent thing to do, so they won't do that. The first is what I expect they will 100% want to do and it would take the government to stop them doing it, in my opinion. I had been wondering where the second option might leave us, so have done a quick calculation.

Using the points as they now stand and each team's average points per home & away game, this gave the following final bottom six:

Brighton 39.37, Bournemouth 35.73, Watford 35.73, West Ham 35.55, Villa 34.98, Norwich 27.95. 

That option is a bit crude, decides relegation places on less than a point and like playing 6 games in front of an empty Villa Park in my opinion, it doesn't look very promising from our point of view, but I just had to have a look!  :(

There is also the: 

Cancel the season (deciding the the final places on points achieved to date and anticipated points from each club's remaining games) but with no relegation and 2 teams promoted from the Champonship. And then play next season with 2 additional clubs and extra relegation spots.

That's the route I think a few leagues will end up taking if they don't void it. Not ideal and will work better for some other nations than it will in England.

• Like 4

I might be wrong here but are we the only league where the top flight is a separate entity? 

The Bundesliga for example control 1 and 2 so of they come up with a no relegation / promotion bugger league next season rule then they can

If the PL suggest it the EFL can say no

Especially considering they would lose the draw of Leeds and not get a replacement 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I might be wrong here but are we the only league where the top flight is a separate entity? 

The Bundesliga for example control 1 and 2 so of they come up with a no relegation / promotion bugger league next season rule then they can

Especially considering they would lose the draw of Leeds and not get a replacement 

Good point, might be some other league somewhere with a similar setup but no one spring to mind. 

This setup complicates things, or makes them easier perhaps depending on what they decide.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Isn’t it the PL who effectively invite the top EFL teams to join next season? I suppose it has to work the other way round with relegated PL teams being invited to join the EFL, but that wouldn’t be an issue in the next season if there was no relegation, only in the future if the EFL refused. If the PL want to invite two extra teams to join next season then they can, as I understand it, without the EFL having a say. I could be an and probably am totally wrong though!

53 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know I said this a few weeks ago but I’m even more amazed now how much I’m not missing football. It’s crazy !

Because we are bad.

It's nice not to feel embarrassed of my team every week.

• Like 1

Nope I agree its football in general, other Premier League or Champions League games. Watching overpaid primadonnas jumping around the ground with a chance of a little football to watch, led by administrators who are the scum of the earth.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Because we are bad.

It's nice not to feel embarrassed of my team every week.

That’s probably true. But I don’t miss any sort of football. I have no desire to watch any games.  It probably because I gamble a lot and I’m saving a lot of money.

• Like 1

Premier League players can 'walk away' from their clubs on June 30, says leading sports lawyer

Nick De Marco QC insists FIFA's recommendations of contract extensions cannot be enforced under English employment law

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11971338/premier-league-players-can-walk-away-from-their-clubs-on-june-30-says-leading-sports-lawyer

As a lot of said regarding employment law. The league surely as to be completed by June 30th and that's not happening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think playing behind closed doors away from home will help us as we havebeen pathetic away from home.

But we have more games at home so we lose a advantage there. I think a huge problem even behind closed doors is how do you stop fans going down to the stadiums?

You can see a few thousand heading outside 

Would guess road blocks and things like trains not stopping at Aston/Witton in hours leading up to whenever game takes place.

Of course this is all assumed BCD games actually take place at VP. Looking at press today seems they're still planning to find some individual venues to play. Wouldn't surprise me if training grounds were also used given they're in the middle of nowhere is fans invasion is a big worry.