Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm sure everyone including Liverpool are fully behind this.

I think it's all about Liverpool and money with the PL, and with the majority of the football media. The penny might eventually drop, that English football doesn't always have to do exactly what Liverpool might want it to do. It's not realistic to finish the current season and the next one, in the time that's available to do so. It's also not decent at this time of national crisis and of ongoing heavy loss of life, for football to be seen to be trying, at any cost to finish a season that's already gone beyond resurrection.

Let the likes of Liverpool and Leeds, be upset by the decision to declare this season null and void. Life's no longer normal and football has to accept that will impact on the game. The PL and EFL, would be lacking in integrity themselves, if they ignored what was happening in the country itself, just to placate a couple of clubs, and to try to keep the television companies satisfied. They probably will though won't they? 😕

• Like 3

The season for football without major TV money has finished.

If the Premier league and EFL were making a sporting decision, they'd be spending their time figuring out the best way to do the same.

They're not, the clubs are trying to figure out how they can keep the TV money, the TV companies are trying to make sure they get some football for their money, the players are trying to make sure no one cuts their wages, sponsors, agents, kit manufacturers, everyone involved is clinging to the money. 

The Premier League will chase this money for as long as they can and over a pile of bodies if they have to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Premier League will chase this money for as long as they can and over a pile of bodies if they have to.

We sadly live in a world where money has always been more important than morals for many. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

We sadly live in a world where money has always been more important than morals for many. 

So in a world like that, do you think it’s right to be a victim because you act morally and other don’t?

I mean does the PL itself want the money for its own benefit? Or is it afraid from fines that will come from TV deals....etc?

Are clubs able to pay players? Who’s to say all players will morale enough to sacrifice?

Some players (most affected clubs are tge ones without resources), don’t have the biggest income, and some on their last contract, and it’s there last chance to benefit properly from the income, some may have debts and paying monthly. I don’t think we can say those things easily. 

What a certain player sacrificed from his wages and then his teammates refused? 

It’s not as if a certain person or entity sacrificing something would fix the whole problem. I’m sure if that was the case most of people would show the morality we all seek. 

I don’t think it’s easy to blame any party. In reality the easiest one to take decision are Sky, but again, let’s wait and see before coming to a conclusion. I don’t think it’s easy to take quick decisions. But if the right actions were taken and then some were against those actions and weren’t helpful in concluding it with a solution then that’s the time were we can call someone without morales.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

If we cut the speed limit to 30 mph on every road in Europe there would be virtually zero road deaths across the continent. We don't do it because it's not practical. This lock down is a temporary measure to buy time to allow the health services to prepare. We can't shut down economies for a prolonged period, it's just not viable. Business will soon re-open and the premier league is a business just like any other. They will try to do what's best for themselves, it's up to the government to tell them what they can and can't do, e.g. behind closed doors games etc.

TLDR; it's not a simple case of big business doesn't care if people die and money means more than lives. Businesses try to do the best for themselves within the constraints of the law.

By the way I'm not having a go at you but I fear there's going to be a lot of public outrage when things re-open and people are still dying of C-19. It's not possible to avoid this IMO. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

One (hair brained) solution might be to finish this season starting next September and then for the 21/22 season just have a 19 game fixture list, everyone plays each other once home or away.  

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But this season won't be this season after 30th June. The line ups of teams will be different - it won't be the same competition. If it's not done by 30th June then it's a nonsense. If Villa are relegated after Jack Grealish scores his first goal for Man Utd at Villa Park in August, is that the same competition as the season that we were playing a month ago?

I just don't understand why people don't get this. 

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But this season won't be this season after 30th June. The line ups of teams will be different - it won't be the same competition. If it's not done by 30th June then it's a nonsense. If Villa are relegated after Jack Grealish scores his first goal for Man Utd at Villa Park in August, is that the same competition as the season that we were playing a month ago?

Even if you force teams to maintain the same sides, how can you do that to the teams that will get relegated and are forced to sell assets? Even if you extend the transfer window, nobody will buy a player like Grealish and have him play 10 matches for us after spending multi millions on signing him. 

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

You are in for a shock if you think football will be the same after this

I really don’t think I will, it may take time to get back up to speed but in a few years we won’t know any difference.

21 hours ago, Silent_Bob said:

While I think you're mostly right, I doubt football in general would like a PR shitstorm if they break or are close to breaking health guidelines. Fair play is still something that people care about and to relegate clubs or let them qualify for UCL based on 29 games or 29 games, plus 9 played with unfit players behind closed doors.

Should we survive, I still would feel a lot of sympathy for a club relegated if they had to play without key players due to corona, expired contracts or whatever.

Sky hasn't got a licence to just print their own money. They need to sell a product that people actually want. And I very much doubt people want anything except a normal 20/21-season. That includes a preseason, where players actually get up to speed. And it includes a silly season which won't happen if the clubs find out in the middle of July which division and tournaments they should play in three weeks later.

I think a normal preseason will be difficult enough as it is. 

I don’t mean short term but in a couple of years it will be back to normal.

20 hours ago, PaulC said:

Nah football can’t be the same again, not for a long time anyway. Maybe many will go straight back to watching live football but there’s many families that will be lost to it. I bet attendances will drop massively and mAny won’t renew their season tickets 

A couple of years it’ll be back to normal, people love football too much, have short memories and are always furious in the moment but care less later.  The families impacted, mostly definitely yes but everybody else will slowly drip  back football over the coming years just like concerts, gigs, festivals, comedy shows, church’s or any large gatherings.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

One (hair brained) solution might be to finish this season starting next September and then for the 21/22 season just have a 19 game fixture list, everyone plays each other once home or away.  

That’s beyond hair brained.

It’s totally unviable.

Festival of football y'all.

Steve Bruce calls for matches to be played "every day for a month" to get season finished

The Newcastle manager has called for the final fixtures of the campaign to be played out during an intense footballing month – but only when it is safe to do so

Steve Bruce has called for the remaining fixtures of the season to be played every day for a month when football resumes, in the hope of completing the campaign before the new one starts.

The Newcastle boss, however, stressed the importance of not rushing players back into training just so the country has a distraction while the global coronavirus pandemic ensues.

Bruce said via The Telegraph : “We have to try and get this season finished, whatever that takes.

And he said that while everyone’s health is a top priority, the best way to finish this season would be to have an intense 'Festival of Football’ where clubs will regularly play multiple games a week.

“We can have a Festival of Football month, games every day, teams playing two or three games a week,” he said.

“It’s not ideal, but if we can play 10 to 15 games in December and the start of January, we can do it to get this season finished.

“It probably means the start of next season will be delayed, we’ll probably have to scrap one of the cup competitions and do without a winter break, but it can be done. Whatever, however, we will find a way.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-bruce-calls-matches-played-21764138

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wasn’t he only recently complaining about the volume of matches during the Christmas period?!

Ha ha yeah I think so.

I'm mean I fully get there are no good solutions to this situation, it's all bad.

But playing that many games in that short a time will destroy the players. If Newcastle thought they had a lot of injuries now just imagine the carnage that schedule would be.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not 100% sure on this but can't the PL teams vote to change the date of the transfer window?  Obviously the players whose contracts run out you can't really do much about, though even then can't the PL also only open the squad registration window once they finished the season?  I suggested in another thread that maybe they could finish this season whenever possible, then next season split the PL into conferences like in US sport depending on how much time there is, have all the games on Sky and BT so the TV side of it is covered that way.  Obviously the selfish side of me just hopes they void the season and we stay up!  I reckon we would have a decent chance of staying up if we restart when McGinn, Heaton and Wes are back though.