Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Football isn't happening soon. I doubt the virus will suddenly recede in numbers just because the kids won't be at school. 

The only way football will happen earlier is through playing behind closed doors but even then you need people at the games for multiple reasons and the risk would be too high. 

Shutting football down took precedence over schools closing so it wouldn't surprise me if football didn't start back up after the schools have opened again and that is being forecasted as after the normal summer holidays. 

• Like 1

I think this conversation is increasingly becoming rather trite and meaningless even for dire hard footy fans. Even in theory they could re start the season behind closed doors would it be appropriate given what could be happening to thousands of loved ones?

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Premier League bosses will soon be forced to face up to reality. This season isn't going to be finished, no matter what convoluted plans and ideas pundits come up with.

Facing reality means that PL bosses have to accept that football has become irrelevant due to the enormity of Coronavirus, so cancelling this season will be just a tiny blip when looked at historically, lost in the aftermath of a world wide catastrophe.

2020 won't be remembered as the year "Liverpool won the league", it will be remembered as the year a pandemic shut down the UK.

Wake up PL bosses and accept the inevitable, void this season for the public good and the physical and mental well being of players and staff and their families,  unless you want to be portrayed as "Nero fiddling while Rome burns", or "Ostriches with heads firmly buried in the sand".

Keep your distance and stay well everyone.

I think they are just going through the motions. Making like it's their intention, saying the right things. 

They know and everyone else knows it's not going to happen but when we hit June and there is still no prospect of a restart because the virus is at it's peak, they then have the opportunity to hold their hands up, say it's not what they wanted but they have no other option but to void the season. 

They can't possibly come out now and void it when there is no 100% guarantee this is still going to go all the way.  They need to wait till it's clear and obvious (excuse the pun) that they have to void.  Then no one can sue them saying what if. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Pretty confident PL are going to try and start back up behind closed doors. Maybe not April 4th, but I think 11th is a solid bet.

Please please please open a bookies, I can guarantee you all of my business. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think they are just going through the motions. Making like it's their intention, saying the right things. 

They know and everyone else knows it's not going to happen but when we hit June and there is still no prospect of a restart because the virus is at it's peak, they then have the opportunity to hold their hands up, say it's not what they wanted but they have no other option but to void the season. 

They can't possibly come out now and void it when there is no 100% guarantee this is still going to go all the way.  They need to wait till it's clear and obvious (excuse the pun) that they have to void.  Then no one can sue them saying what if. 

The worry is that this season drags into next season and then we have a farce of a 20/21 season. It would be better to write off this one. I'd consider renewing my season ticket now if I knew football was starting again mid August. Lord know what'll happen ticket wise now.

Problems 

Integrity - The league is made up of teams playing home and away , home you have more fans behind you - to play behind closed doors takes this away and distorts the remaining results

Infection - people are still being infected daily , there is no way at all the league can guarantee no player will catch the Virus and therefore put the whole squad into containment so what do the league do if one club has to isolate a squad ..? Stop the league again  ? 

Players are currently sat at home self training or playing keepie uppies with bog role on social media , no one is going to be near match fit when they can't even do passing drills !! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Problems 

Integrity - The league is made up of teams playing home and away , home you have more fans behind you - to play behind closed doors takes this away and distorts the remaining results

Infection - people are still being infected daily , there is no way at all the league can guarantee no player will catch the Virus and therefore put the whole squad into containment so what do the league do if one club has to isolate a squad ..? Stop the league again  ? 

Players are currently sat at home self training or playing keepie uppies with bog role on social media , no one is going to be near match fit when they can't even do passing drills !! 

Not sure of exact figures but it feels like we win 1 of every 2 or 3 games at Villa Park and 1 of every 7 away. Why would we therefore agree to play at a neutral ground as is being suggested? It's like sacrificing a win, based on averages.

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Not sure of exact figures but it feels like we win 1 of every 2 or 3 games at Villa Park and 1 of every 7 away. Why would we therefore agree to play at a neutral ground as is being suggested? It's like sacrificing a win, based on averages.

Exactly ..there is a reason you play each team home and away  and in Europe there is an away goals rule.To take away the advantage of home fans or the disadvantage of playing away is not a valid way to play on.

Quite simply all this we need to play on his due to the sums of money involved.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Spot on. Its obvious what they are doing and people are eating it up.

Say for instance all xbox's were sold out and will be for a long time but your sons birthday is soon and he wants one. All you say is if they come back in stock soon you will buy him one. You look like a good person whatever happens, but its really an empty gesture.

Edited by jasoncb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think this conversation is increasingly becoming rather trite and meaningless even for dire hard footy fans. Even in theory they could re start the season behind closed doors would it be appropriate given what could be happening to thousands of loved ones?

My thoughts exactly. 

Nurses choosing who lives and who dies based on age in hospitals but it’s ok, Liverpool have got Burnley at the weekend. 

I really couldn’t care less if the season is finished or not at the moment. The league should be postponed indefinitely until this world war finishes and people aren’t dying in shopping trolleys in hospital. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nabby said:

Exactly ..there is a reason you play each team home and away  and in Europe there is an away goals rule.To take away the advantage of home fans or the disadvantage of playing away is not a valid way to play on.

Quite simply all this we need to play on his due to the sums of money involved.

What the football authorities haven’t given, yet, is an unequivocal commitment to complete the 2019/20 season. Similar to what the chancellor of the exchequer said a couple of evenings ago, they could be saying something along the lines of, “whatever it takes, whatever the circumstances, this season will be completed. If that requires finishing this season next year, or the year after, then so be it. Whatever it takes”. And I’m not against that. All I would stipulate is that as and when games do start being played again, it is with stadiums full of fans, as it was a few weeks ago. 

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

With some of the projections currently, the only way to finish this season might be to cancel next season.

It could be September or October before it's possible to play. 

Would the tv companies not lose more money. They would sacrifice a full season for 10 games. 

If anyone want a hint of how it will turn out if the powers that be tries to restart football anytime soon then just look towards China where they were hoping to start the league in mid April.

A Brazilian player Doreilton who plays in a League 2 team has tested positive after flying back from Brazil and thus his whole team has had to be quarantined, again.

China being China are still pushing for the league to start on schedule but a similar thing in Europe and it would be game over.

It is just not going to happen in European football. This season is not going to end unless they cancel it.

London currently faces a lockdown, with troops being called in. Families are losing loved ones, before they would have otherwise done so, across Europe and now here. Travel is being restricted, people are being told to self isolate within their own homes, panic buying is prevalent, life or death decisions are being made by doctors in hospitals and the general public face their biggest challenge since WW2.

Meanwhile, PL officials wring their hands about Liverpool not getting their Championship trophy given them in the way they would prefer, talk about the so called "integrity" of a football season and dial into a meeting today to contrive a way to finish a season that should never be completed, given the grave situation our nation is faced with. It's really crass that the PL is more concerned about television income and "integrity", when it is their own lack of integrity and of compassion, that they are demonstrating today. Just call the season off already!

• Like 4

You never know what will happen but don't expect common sense, all football authorities are self important, mercenary and incompetent. They exist in their own bubble of self importance and self satisfaction so really nothing would surprise me as they look to chase the money and avoid legal action. The correct decision is too hard for them at the moment - do you disrupt two seasons  which means its a two year problem or just scrub the existing one?

However they may well incur a fan backlash as in all honesty, this horrible situation is only just getting started and its going to get a whole lot worse, possibly unimaginably worse before we can even consider getting sport back on the agenda.

The EFL promotion hopefuls and Liverpool are the only clubs that hope the season ends at a cost to everything else, so possibly 10 clubs and a few promotion chasing hopefuls, the majority wont be bothered and may even prefer to scrub it and move on rather than have two disrupted seasons. Common sense suggests this is an unprecedented situation and good taste and diplomacy would dictate that the season ends without consequence now and restarts when there is an appetite for it and the clubs/players have had chance to recover and re-focus. 

The one certainty is that before football restarts there will be thousands of people dead and many family situations in tatters as a consequence of the virus. Thats very sobering to me.

• Like 3

China state they have zero new cases - and if that stays the same over 2 weeks then they re-open. It's been about three months to this point from when it started. IF Europe (and it'll have to be Europe not just UK as we're so connected) were to have the same success, then it's June at the very very earliest. With advances in treatments and tests to show who's immune - I'm pretty sure we'll all be starting up again in September, schools, pubs, football etc in some shape or form. 

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

China state they have zero new cases - and if that stays the same over 2 weeks then they re-open. It's been about three months to this point from when it started. IF Europe (and it'll have to be Europe not just UK as we're so connected) were to have the same success, then it's June at the very very earliest. With advances in treatments and tests to show who's immune - I'm pretty sure we'll all be starting up again in September, schools, pubs, football etc in some shape or form. 

Pretty sure China are not reporting the actual numbers.

Even if games were to be played behind closed doors, what about players getting infected? Why would we risk finishing the season on disadvantageous terms when we could just send our players / squad to self isolate one a time every two weeks and say we can’t play the matches?

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1